Last hitting - How important is it?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Fragglerock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-02-2011

I made a thread in GD, but being the cesspool it is, people just downvoted it closed.

Anyway, the common responses that weren't flames were along the lines of...

'How is an 18 minutes IE not worth it?'

'At higher level games you can't just outlane someone, or gank side lanes at will, so what do you have left?'

'Why can't you harass AND last hit?'

The first response I feel is an example of math in a vacuum - if you never go back, and never miss a minion, and the enemy is okay with mutual farm and doesn't bother you... perhaps this is possible. How often do you get to cozily farm for 18 minutes?

The second point is probably the most accurate... which means it doesn't apply to lower Elo games. In trying to last hit, it's common for my enemy to be aggressive on me, forcing me to use either AOE attacks, or he simply isn't last hitting therefor my minions are SLOWLY pushing forward until I'm zoned out for risk of jungle gank. I guess in a world where both sides feel like it's hopeless to try to kill the enemy 1 on 1, that's what you get - farmville.

The third... honestly, lack of spare auto-attacks and positioning to be able to harass in a meaningful way without taking a lot of minion damage. Many champs go to lane with passive regen + 1-3 pots. Getting an extra 500-1000 dmg in on the enemy champ while last hitting just isn't going to happen if they're of about equal skill. In a perfect world your opponent is always worse than you, and your strategy is clear and successful.

Raidarc

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-02-2011

Really depends whether or not they have a jungler and what you are up against to be honest. Last hitting allows your team to gank easily when the other team pushes you into your tower. That being said; wards are nice.

I last hit entire waves with Maokai, not my fault. Love wards and saplings.

Edit: I still last hit singly whenever possible. If you are solo versus 2; last hitting is a MUST.

Zékent

06-02-2011

Last hitting is one of the most important parts of the game, I'll just pull out a segment of my guide to better explain it.

Quote:
It’s ten minutes into the game and you are playing in the middle lane as Corki against an Ashe- both of you starting with boots and three health potions. You feel that you’re doing an excellent job- you’ve been harassing throughout the entire game and you’ve made her burn through the three health potions and finally managed to force her to teleport back to base- knowing full well that she is probably going to pick up some items. So, you push your lane to his turret and decide to teleport back to pick up some items of your own- fully confident that you can once again force her out of lane when you return. You decide to spend all your gold to get yourself a Tear of the Goddess (995 gold) and return to lane only to find Ashe sporting Three Doran’s Blades (1425 gold) a ward (75 gold) and three more health potions (105 gold). What’s going on?! You quickly hit “Tab” and see that Ashe has somehow managed to get 30 more creep kills than you and is now completely dominating you in lane.

This is a classic example of a difference in last hitting skill. Due to the nature of League of Legends, it is incredibly hard to actually kill someone early in the game when it’s a one on one situation- meaning that you’re generally better off getting as many creep kills as possible. Think of it this way- a kill on a champion is worth about fifteen or so creep kills; so would you rather spend your effort on trying to kill the enemy champion, or concentrating your efforts on consistently getting as much gold as possible. In 99% of all situations, sitting back and last hitting would provide you with far more gold than taking potshots at the enemy champion.

As you move up in skill level, the importance of last hitting becomes more noticeable- if you’re in a solo lane and you’re behind by twenty or so creep kills, you are effectively “losing” your lane unless you have somehow managed to kill the enemy champion or successfully ganked another lane. You may think, “Oh well, it’s only twenty of so creep kills,” but what you don’t immediately notice is what those creep kills allow for. Similar to the example at the beginning of this section, being behind in creep score will only lead to a larger and larger gap due to the difference in purchasing abilities- basically the first “blue pill” by each champion will compound the effects of a large gap in creep score.
Full text here: http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=781074

Hope that helps.

-Zekent

FaerellG

06-02-2011

Last hitting gives you gold. just get really good at it to push your lane minimally.

Gold and XP are the logistical resources of the game. Without them, you will fail.

In the grand scheme of any competitive game Logistics are more important than Strategy, which is more important than Tactics.
Without logistics is the art of having things be in the right place at the right time...this accounts not just for gold and xp (being accrued on your character and well spent), but location as well.

You may have a brilliant strategy based around winning some team fight and pushing down mid, but if you lack the resources (gold and xp) then your strategy cannot be executed and will fail no matter how brilliant it is.

Fragglerock

06-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekent View Post
Last hitting is one of the most important parts of the game, I'll just pull out a segment of my guide to better explain it.

Hope that helps.

-Zekent
+1

I think where I'm coming from is people preaching last hitting as the silver bullet to winning LoL - there is a lot of that - when as you say, it is one of the most important parts. ONE OF.

People say last hitting is the most important aspect of the game, when good play habits and general strategy is already assumed. You can do decently well, and most likely be higher than any of your friends, by almost ignoring the last hitting part of the game. You really need to be a good player overall, you can't just last hit your way to 1800.

Mattarias

06-02-2011

OP, I see where you're coming from. It's a huge pain in the rear trying to last hit a minion wave when you're playing as Kayle and either your lane partner is spamming AoEs all over the place / autoattacking everything to death, or you're being horribly harassed by.. Bloody anyone with a longer range than you. I think sharing gold like you do EXP would be nice in that situation, yeah.

However, last hitting seems to be something League is focused on, and any changes to it would change gameplay pretty drastically. It's pretty important.

BUT, as was said, it isn't THE most important thing in the game. Yes, you need gold, but having 6 IEs does you no good if you put them on someone who gains no benefit from them.

MLGN00BFR4GG3R69

06-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zekent View Post

Hope that helps.

-Zekent
What that fails to take into account is the lack of gold and experience which the player receives when he's dead. While the player you killed is only worth 300 gold and some experience, you're also creating a level and gold gap between you and the enemy player by killing him. He misses out on exp for around 30 seconds. This means the enemy player loses out on exp and gold while he's dead and the other player gets to beat on his tower for a while. Getting killed multiple times means you contribute less to your team because you've missed out on all that gold and exp. While last hitting provides the majority of your gold income, it doesn't establish an advantage over an enemy player. If two players are equally skilled at last hitting, they will be equal in level, gold, and power. Only killing enemy players gives you an advantage.

Zékent

06-02-2011

"Due to the nature of League of Legends, it is incredibly hard to actually kill someone early in the game when it’s a one on one situation- meaning that you’re generally better off getting as many creep kills as possible."

I do consider it, but it's actually rare to kill someone in lane if you are actually at the same skill level-what's more likely to happen is just two people trading hits without much outcome until a gank comes along. And I do say generally, there are of course exceptions.

I do appreciate the input though. xD

-Zekent

Prometheius

06-02-2011

The difference? If you can last-hit 80 mobs on any champ before 11 minutes, then you're good enough to get out of Elo hell. That's the difference.

ODTJIggedyJam

06-02-2011

It's pretty easy, and It's really helpful to get nice good gold.
I Think for a ranged champion, you should get an average of 50-100 minion kills by 10 minutes.
Depends on your champ, MF should get 70-100 of course.
That's most peoples average in game.