You are AP Shen.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

mojozhu

05-30-2011

You are not a tank. You are a support. Or offtank at best.

Riot nerfed your base damage and passive. So maybe it's time to say "f*** it!" and move on to something cool.

People will act negative when you say "AP shen" in selection chat. But that's okay, they will know how great AP Shen can be, because you know what you do best:

1. A massive heal that can potentially heal your whole team for 40HP/second.
2. A feint that can keep you alive even if you only have minor resistance item. While other support die in a few seconds if they got the enemy's attention.
3. You still got your AOE CC
4. The best part is, your ultimate now gives your carry another lifebar.

Rune:

Quint - MS or Flat AP
Red - Flat AD
Yellow - Armor/level
Blue - Mres/level

AD for better last hit/early damage.

Mastery:

21 Defense, others are optional.

Core item:

Kage's lucky pick *2
Aegis of legion

Your goal after these item - 200AP, optimal 300.

Some good solid choice of AP item, you probably only need 2 of those in the course of the game:

Rylai - Spammable slow, good chunk of health.

Abyssal - Good resistance to go with extra hp from feint, AOE debuff

Lichbane - Sheen component gives extra offensive edge with your spammable Q to proc. Remember to get it only when you have about 120+ AP, or you are just wasting money for no real gain.

Deathcap - Best item if you're able to afford it.

Hourglass - It got some good armor, I don't recommend it though. But feint > invulnerable > feint can save a lot of life. Still the item just provide too little team utility, which is what AP shen is all about.

WHY AP SHEN?

Because with 300AP, each hit to your bladed target will heal for about 40 health/second. Combine this with the fact tanky dps are everywhere (and they got massive resistance). Your constant 40 heal will become around 100 EHP for that tanky irelia or xin zhao who got spirit visage, every second.

You're creating mini Mundo everywhere you go.

With 300AP, a 1000HP shield will appear on top of your carry. And will destroy your enemy's appetite in killing your squishy.

With that improved utility and damage from your Q, your presence after a teleport is more than just a taunt, it will become a nuke machine that can heal your ally for a good amount. This can totally turn an early gank around.

Lastly, if anyone realize how ridiculous a 5 man 40hp/s heal is (combine with armor/MR), Shen will be deemed an OP support and be perma banned, again. Then get nerfed to oblivion, the X time.

Playstyle

Laning - Grab an amp tome and pot, head out for bot lane. Upgrade it to kage's later on. Your job is mainly to zone out enemy and let your carry farm, just like every support. but if you're in low ELO like me, you can take the last hit because your carry won't be able to get all of them. Rush your Aegis and we can start rolling!

Teamfight - It's basically very boring/linear. Just Q the focused target and watch as your tanky dps refuse to die, while yourself keep dishing out constant damage with Q. Save your shield for your squishy ally, try not to use it when he almost die, use it earlier will serve the purpose of killing the enemy's appetite of touching him, giving him a few free seconds to deal massive deeps.

WHY Aegis?

It gives you good health, good armor and good MR. And most importantly, armor and MR to your ally.

You got to understand that if your ally got more resistance, each of the extra HP from your heal and shield will soak up more damage. And in realistic situation, most people will refuse to get MR/Armor early on.

By giving 15MR to your 30MR teammate. You raise their resistance from 23% to 31%. Your heal and shield now worth much more when combined with this. If your ally is a smart player who buy MR early on. He is basically immune to caster early game.

After this item is all about building your AP/utility, so you heal and shield much more.

For you information, an Irelia with 100armor/MR - With 300AP, You heal her for 80 EHP per second, and on top of that she got her own heal.

AP shen is really one of the best support in today's meta of tanky dps. And there are not many support that can serve a whole team at once with a non ultimate skill.

Other small tips

- Don't buy sorc boot, you only have 1 damage spell and that spell only have a scale of 0.6. You're better off buying merc/ninja tabi for the resistance that works well with your feint/heal.

- Don't buy CDR stuff, it's only worthy it for its cooldown on ultimate, but then it's better to not bait a fight when you're ultimate is down. In a teamfight, an energy based champion will not be able to spam spell.

- Hit your taunt! It's an amazing CC and but hitting on some champion, it refund energy back to you, this is very useful in terms of sustaining you in a teamfight.

- Don't stack HP, even with the new passive, your job as an AP shen is to support. After early game had past, your damage don't really worth a thing. Your contribution to the team is heal, shield and taunt (Also refusing to be a dead support with W).

- Don't buy doran's ring... just don't.

- Don't try to tank all by yourself, you are an offtank at best.

- Tell your teammate you want to go support in champion selection BEFORE you select Shen. That way people will not be mis-leaded by your pick.

- Don't pick a solo lane. You're wasting gold.

- Build Mejai if you're a pro who refuse to die. You will get tons of assist with your heal/shield.

- Convince your teammate to buy spirit visage will result in crazy effect.

- Tanky DPS is will treat you best friend. So is ranged carry.

- Early game, avoid the urge to taunt multiple people, because it will just get you killed. I know it's a habit from tank shen...

- At lane phrase, tell your lane mate that your blade will heal them if they hit the marked target. And remind them to hit your blade if they are low.

Kairno

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-30-2011

1'st : played ap shen even before the changes on his vorpal, and it was a blast

problem in this : your feint is kinda ... useless... you WILL melt if you use it for it's cc (feint forces auto attacks, you get aegis as an armor item, and maybe hourglass, that isn't enough.. even considering runes

also, hourglass after taunt breaks the taunt so it's a bit lackluster

small tip : get a guardian angel or randuin after rylai, that should help you a lot
also : you can use vorpal for last hits, instead of ad runes and go for magic pen, just for the extra passive damage proc

mojozhu

05-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kairno View Post
1'st : played ap shen even before the changes on his vorpal, and it was a blast

problem in this : your feint is kinda ... useless... you WILL melt if you use it for it's cc (feint forces auto attacks, you get aegis as an armor item, and maybe hourglass, that isn't enough.. even considering runes

also, hourglass after taunt breaks the taunt so it's a bit lackluster

small tip : get a guardian angel or randuin after rylai, that should help you a lot
also : you can use vorpal for last hits, instead of ad runes and go for magic pen, just for the extra passive damage proc
Thanks for the feedback. To be honest, I just tried AP shen after his random nerf last patch. I am just not sure what u mean about the "feint forces auto attack part", did u mean taunt instead?

And GA is definitely great on AP shen, a support who just can't die is just, ridiculously annoying. I do realize he is quite vulnerable to auto attack champion, and even the hourglass is not a good choice for armor/AP item for its useless utility in a team situation. Randuin seems nice, will be trying it out now.

Cerubois

05-30-2011

I will always get some AP on Shen. Good choices on Rylai's and Abyssal.

I still put some tank stuff on though, like a Randuin's and FoN, and get some Merc. Treads usually.

Now if I could play a game long enough to get my sixth item, I'd probably get a Deathcap. My games with Shen don't last very long. Too much awesome.

Lumaca

05-30-2011

I was Q'ing with my friend on ranked a while back when he picked Shen. Our team got completely stomped but he somehow came through with the most kills & assists and least deaths in the game and basically won it for us. I checked his runepage and asked "dude what runes are you running on shen".

His answer: "the flat AP one"...

Kuryaka

05-30-2011

Great. Gives Vorpal Blade some use now - he can't use it as a nuke, but the heal.
You'd only be giving 40 bonus heal with 200 AP... wiki says its scaling is 0.2. 90 heal, 30 heal per second over duration. Not that bad, but not especially good.

Iron Tyrant

06-02-2011

AP shen, I would get your teams opinion on that before deciding
No one likes to learn their tank isn't a tank

Something Snazzy

06-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerubois View Post
I will always get some AP on Shen. Good choices on Rylai's and Abyssal.

I still put some tank stuff on though, like a Randuin's and FoN, and get some Merc. Treads usually.

Now if I could play a game long enough to get my sixth item, I'd probably get a Deathcap. My games with Shen don't last very long. Too much awesome.
This. Randuin's (with Rylai's) will give enough life/armor to let Shen taunt quite a few AD characters without worrying about the damage. His taunt is quite powerful and should be utilized fully regardless of your Shen build. Also, Randuin's enhances his already powerful taunt by slowing your opponents MS and AS.

Also, you get two Lucky Picks. For the cash generation? A Heart of Gold instead of one of the Picks will give gold generation and actually build into something. Plus, Lucky Picks are the least cost effective gold generation items (5 AP for 330 gold compared to 70 HP for 350 gold).

Try building Randuin's, Rylai's and Aegis with Merc Treads.

Snaketeeth01

06-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kuryaka View Post
Great. Gives Vorpal Blade some use now - he can't use it as a nuke, but the heal.
You'd only be giving 40 bonus heal with 200 AP... wiki says its scaling is 0.2. 90 heal, 30 heal per second over duration. Not that bad, but not especially good.
consider this in 1v1 situations where you have Tfire, sunfire, or both and you just want to out last them. vorpal to deal damage and heal yourself. If they run let them gain a tiny bit of ground, taunt, and vorpal is off CD with enough energy to use. If you need it you can shield as soon as you have 50 relying on Ki strike and items to finish off their hp.

Shen is capale of dealing alot of steady damage opposed to burst. 30 hp per second + your item's can turn into something to reckon with.

Kairno

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-02-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojozhu View Post
Thanks for the feedback. To be honest, I just tried AP shen after his random nerf last patch. I am just not sure what u mean about the "feint forces auto attack part", did u mean taunt instead?

And GA is definitely great on AP shen, a support who just can't die is just, ridiculously annoying. I do realize he is quite vulnerable to auto attack champion, and even the hourglass is not a good choice for armor/AP item for its useless utility in a team situation. Randuin seems nice, will be trying it out now.
yeah, meant the taunt. whenever he used it, he'd melt faster than... dunno... a stunlocked vayne

and don't forget about the active on randuin, it's really worth it