Amumu item/lategame questions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Azellos

06-01-2011

I love tanking as amumu, he just is fun to use and suits my playstyle. Yet i have a hard time with 2 things: Selecting exactly which build to use each game, and figuring out if that needs changes later on. For example, i just got out of a game where the other team had a Lux, Swain, Vladimir, Vayne, and Blitzcrank. When i was in the game i had a rather poor idea how to counter this setup. I assumed i should lean towards Magic Resist because of swain, lux, and vladimir, but i really wasn't sure exactly how much to do magic resist vs armor, since i still need to tank vayne's sick endagme DPS.

Specific advice to this would be nice, but some over-reaching rule-of-thumb ideas is what i'd appreciate the most.

Also, i was wondering what items do you keep/sell in the game. For example, everyone reccomends buying an aegis of legion in the early game, but do you sell it endgame once your maxed out or do you keep it? Seems like there are stronger items, but i wasn't sure...

Attico

06-01-2011

OK, here's my 2 cents.

Firstly on the Aegis, I used to get it on all my tanks. Now I don't. I find getting chain armor and a negatron cloak far more effective on a pure tank, getting whichever you need the most first. Then you can build them up into whatever suits that particular tank.
Now on Amumu in particular, I usually start cloth + 5 pots, then boots 1, then rush a glacial shroud. CD is so good on him, plus it solves his mana issues, plus allows early tower diving, plus builds into the frozen heart which is awesome on him.
Next a negatron, then into an abyssal. Now build a Rylai's for HP,slow, and ap. Now your despair does Madred's damage in an AOE, good times! If the game continues, finish the frozen heart. Honestly, you won't get anything else, but a spellvamp item can be nice if you get that far.
I find that even against heavy AP teams, the glacial shroud is an essential first item for tanking early game dps and turrets!

This works for me, hope it helps!

ringsting

06-02-2011

I usually aim for 100-150 of each depending on the opposing teams. If they are dps then it is easy but when they are more AP I tend to get Armor to 100ish (sunfire cape and another) and then MR up to about 150 (sorcerers boots, the health regen MR one (cant remember the name) and then one other usually Abysmal. Plus a Warmog.

However I have been finding better returns recently with warmogs armor, and even sometimes getting 2 of them, once you get over 100 A and MR you get seriously diminishing returns that makes stacking health much more useful.

NŠitiBR

06-02-2011

My final build is:

Merc Treads, FoN and Abyssal for MR;
Sunfire Cape, Frozen Heart and maybe Hourglass for Armor;

PS.: Yes, Hourglass item is NOSENSE item for use, but add Armor and AP.

Sunfire and Abyssal is a must: less AoE enemy MR plus amumu attacks = nice magic damage for ult and despair.

One time i battle against 5 AD champions (hilarious), so, Thornmail wrecked them xD

SORRY for my bad english hehe