Tips for Shen ? Thoughts.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

AboutHermes

03-24-2010

I been practicing different things in practice mode since I really dont feel a ninja who is suppose to be squishy assassin should be a tank so I been trying to modify around it and find other ways or hybrids to go with.

If you notice yet Shens damage is primarily his ki strike which is 4% of his maximum hp added to his atk in form of magic damage.

While I think oh man thats hardcore if i jack hp items...how many decent hp items can you really put on to make him useful? I think people are getting to much involved into making him pure tank rather then a hybrid

after testing with my friends I found some item combinations you should try they could be awful or could be awesome I've only tested against CPUs and some matches with friends.

first off If your a AP user and your runes are set for AP keep em that way since shens stuff is all magic and AP does give a pritty decent boost to your Q skill and ulti shield might as well keep w.e magic pen and flat AP runes you got i noticed a large difference keeping mine so

Some items are a must...for example atmas impaler is a must because it basically makes your ki strike a 6 instead a 4. Warmongs is a must because of the simple fact it adds massive hp. I also tried trinity force and found a huge increase in my damage/survivability and boosted my hp and gave me a slow and the cast on it to increase your attack by 130% for one hit might stack with ki idk yet but if it does GG.

I also bought rage blade since I felt I needed a lil more attack and AP to keep up with damage. last item I was gonna buy was either going to be a thornmail or sunfire cape but im still looking for other alternatives. I figure it comes down to what you want...sunfire for more hp=dmg and 40 magic damage or thornmail = lots of armor + 25% atk return = Death to DPS like Yi up to you but im still looking for another alternative. Of course I use ninja tabi though since I dont see a real need for him to have attack speed other than what you get from trinity force. Maybe thats another option for a build but idk yet still testing.

These are just some items I been testing feel free to try them.. in practice against my friends alistar tank build I took his 4k hp down to 1k in about 5 seconds because of all the burst damage from ki and my Q skill and atmas and everything else adding up.

I also had about 3500 hp with warmongs maxed and could go higher if you got sunfire so.. I find this to be more then enough since shen isnt a main tank and is a support/fighter at the same time. to be honest 3500 hp is more then enough bonuses hp for your KI/Atmas because the percent anyway isnt that big so adding another 450 hp wouldnt really help a super lot. specially late game so. me personally Id rather be able to do damage like a ninja should.

Anyway give these items a try let me know im still testing them myself its hard to get this set up though because its expensive so I wouldn't suggest it in a PUB match alone id only do it with people i kno and can trust to do well so you could get some early assist and kills.

Peace.

StretchyStretch

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-24-2010

Where are you from?

OniKedamono

03-24-2010

I feel sad because as I practice him I feel he's somewhat 1/3 killer 1/3 support and 1/3 tank and I'm not fully sure which way I can best play him yet. At the same time that makes it a little more interesting.

I was just screwing around trying to max him out some and I was over 4600hp by the end of my first practice game. Ridiculous.... but still definitely not a main tank.

You don't mention frozen mallet, which I think is an awesome item on him. Great HP, slows them down... Easily you can dash to them, hit them and keep them from running. If things go south you can just dash away and they're slowed, likely you're healing a small amount... Helps with survivability and attacking. Plus it's great to even just hold someone down when waiting for another ganker to arrive.

Sunfire was somewhat nice but I wasn't noticing it too much. Thornmail sounds great and I wanted to try but haven't yet.

I feel conflicted on getting ninja tabi on him though. Armor and dodge are nice... but there's not any +hp with no mana items with MR on them as well. Aegis is the only one that comes to mind for me right now, but I'm probably forgetting one. I mean if the enemy team has no magic sure you can go for it, but I feel like mercury treads are going to be on me almost every game with this guy.

Balonar

03-24-2010

Spirit Visage to get more out of Vorpal's heal?

Qlio

03-24-2010

i like Lich bane, rayle, i think these 2 are good for him, he can spamm spells alot and proc lich everytime, giving him nice dmg boost, but his spells dont scale well with AP, probably cause he can spamm Q every 2sec. also maybe Phage or even frozen malet. as for boots i like berserk for more attack speed, can also get rageblade.
Or simply 4x rayle lichbane and boots XD

Logicill

03-24-2010

Shen is such a let down... =(

i was hoping for another shaco style hero, but instead we get this weird mix of tank and support. I suppose it makes for some interesting building possibilities but it's just depressing that you have to item him out for him to do anything well.

Ternce

03-24-2010

I have had very positive results with this new champion in public games. The first few were a little rocky, but after I found an item build that worked, he became very strong very fast.

Basic Build:

Masteries: 9/21/0
Runes: Armor Pen
Seals: HP (scaling)
Glyphs: Magic Resist (scaling)
Quintessences: HP (flat)

Item Build

HP Crystal ----> Leviathan
Boots -----> Ninja Tabi/Mercury Treads (depending on opposition)
Phage ----> Frozen Mallet
Atma's Impaler

Most games haven't lasted longer than this. If they did run longer, I would pick up a Warmog's, then something to boost his attack speed like Phantom Dancer, or Stark's if the team doesn't have one already.

Level his Q first and spam it like mad at everything. Then max out his E. Finally max out his W.

Sarpati

03-24-2010

I played 2 games with him so far. Both of them were relatively quick at 5.5k and 7.6k gold earned. I ended up with 3k and 3.8k HP respectively.

Warmog's is amazing with him, and I think so would be Frozen Mallet. Think Mordekaiser - damage isn't that great but he can take a beating and chase you to the end of the world.

I hadn't thought about Atma's but will certainly give it a try.

If games last long, I think two items worth considering are Force of Nature or Phantom Dancer.

Leviathan is also a very good choice. The thing about it is that its stack value is nowhere comparable to Mejai's Soulstealer or Sword of the Occult, so if you can't keep 20 stacks for the damage reduction, you're probably better off working towards a higher end item. That said, keeping said stacks is fairly easy with Shen thanks to his survivability and mobility.

DarkenDragon

03-24-2010

I believe that the must to have items are
a boots for obvious reasons, either mercury or ninja tabi depending on what your up against, if heavy CC then mercury, otherwise ninja tabi

Atma's impaler - against should be obvious, if your building heavy hp then this will go well with it as well as the added armor for aditional tanking ability. if your not going to build heavy hp then.... I'd believe your doing him wrong but thats my opinion

frozen Mallet - again a heavy hp item and since we wont be getting much movement speed, we'll want to keep the enemy as close to us as possibe so slowing them will be a very benifitial ability to have

warmongers - I believe this would be a must have since the high amount of hp is very benifital and the heavy amount of regen as well since we are going a tank build, his attack speed wont be high and nor will his physical damage so life steal wont be a good method of replenishing your health.

thornmail / sunfire cape - I would choose either one of these but not both. thornmail if your up against some deadly carries which high damage and high attack speed, this is because obviously you'll just watch them kill themselfs, sunfire cape wont do much against them since the amount of damage is indepentant to what they deal do you. but if against heavy casters, thornmail wont be doing much damage to them since they wont be doing physical damage and when they do it wont be much and sunfire will do a constant stream of damage back but more importantly you'll have a larger hp pool to survive their nukes and also do damage back to them with your passive hits

leviathen / force of nature / anything really - I would suggest either force of nature for the high magic resistance and health regen, since your hp is so high, the regen from this will also be high, and the added move speed is a nice bonus. leviathen for the huge hp boost when maxed and the 15% damage reduction from being maxed and as always this is a great item to have for a tank, but only if your survivability is very great, im not much of a fan of snowballing items so I probably wont use this but if Im confident i'll beable to survive many fights, i'll pick this up. but anything else you feel is needed should do well

things to avoid - anything with mana and mana regen, for obvious reasons you dont have a mana pool,
ap items I'd avoid since only 1 attack gains from it for damage while the other is a shield, but the shield is pretty beast on its own already and only last for 8.5 seconds, I believe any boost to this will probably be wasted.
life steal - I'd play this hero as a tank and not a DPS carry, thus he wont have high attack speed and/or high damage, that is until he gets atma's impaler and his high hp but in the early stages he wont have much
damage items - again I;d play him as a tank, not a physical carry so adding to his damage wont be helping his other abilities nor his survivability.
attack speed - this doesnt quite help his abilities much at all so I wouldnt suggest getting this and focus more on defensive abilities
cooldown reduction - this I believe is a wasted skill, since his abilities cost energy which is a fix amount with a fixed regeneration, reducing his cooldown wont help much since you wont able to spam his abilities more than the amount of energy he has and most of the time you wont have much energy to spam them any faster, I could be wrong about this and allow you to burst down a champion down faster but I dont feel like the benifits would be as much as if you got another item

AboutHermes

03-24-2010

I tried him in pub matches using my build and constantly went 25-4 in about 5 games in row.

You dont give him full tank build because hes not a full tank. you will fail late game hardcore. Other tanks do the job 3xs better and stacking hp on hims just gonna make you a failure late game cuz you cant do any damage and dont have survivability. If you want to be full tank and die alot but tank everyoens ultis good for you do it. Id rather have a viable char that can handle himself in a fight and kill people while still doing his role...

I get trinity because it has a slow..atk buff..hp buff.. atk dmg...ap dmg and movements speed and crit all in one.. which is better then just getting a frozen mallet. it adds mana too but who cares the other benefits of it far outweigh fact your wasting the mana it gives. Lets put it this way i get dorans ninja tabi then trinity and i can basically kill any other champ in the game in a 1v1 sometimes 1v2 fight depends who it is and if i make any mistakes or ambush em right.

Im saying this based off fact when i made him pure tank and followed teh tank builds you guys list i broke even and died alot with no many kills and team lost because i couldnt kill anyone so id tank ultis but it still be 4v5 in the end of the day. When i Use the items i listed with some variations from here and there I got 25-4 every game. So try both before you knock either down.

Apparently theres two more ninjas coming one for magic one for DPS which is a fail so dont worry if you dont get shen and dont like him because I guess there is 2 more OP ninjas coming because riot feels like ruining its game.

( if theres 3 ninjas im pritty sure your gonna see 3 ninjas every fkin game till they put out like a fkin Bleach character or something lmao )