Heimerdinger- Need help!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

XTreeX

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-31-2011

ive gotten heimerdinger but recently when i got back to playing him i sucked really badly!
im in no ways a heimerdinger pro so i think i did stray out too far in team fights.........
and i tried to backdoor by myself and i died instatly for it soo.........
yeh.....
any tips or advice u can give me on pushing, staying alive and getting kills?

Coehabamba

06-01-2011

normaly when i play him i will max my rockets first. MOST people will max his turrets first but i find this very restraining because you cannon make your turrets attack a specific target and you are forced to stand by them most of the time to survive. i also build him more nuke than most people do. i find that building more ap with rockets maxed first will keep people away from you and also do LOTS of damage durring teamfights and allow you to pick people off when they run.

Bumbah

06-01-2011

His Ult and grenades aren't needed until the team fights start, so don't feel you need to put points in them unitl you absolutely have to. I agree with the above poster about rockets being the best form of harrassment, but you need your turrets for creep kills and pushing. Just remember that your rockets will hit the three closest targets - so wait until theres 2 minions left and fire away.

Carnagè

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

06-01-2011

I wouldnt consider myself a "pro" with heimer, but i do know how to play him well in my opinion. I do not agree with above posts. They are down playing the ability of turrets. Early on this is your main source of damage and gold from creeps. What I do can be found here. http://www.leagueoflegends.com/board...d.php?t=799529

dalzara

06-01-2011

I max turrets first followed by rockets. Mainly because turrets are your cash cows the aoe turrets generate so much gold himer often has as much gold as a well fed carry does which means he gets better gear faster than almost anybody else. The better gear fast makes your rockets even better. The grenade is **** good but one point into it early for the stun/blind is enough. Once you start team fighting its a good thing to start ranking up.

With the new turret dropping mechanics with planning its a bit easier to use heimers turrets offensively than it used to be. Poop out two maxed turrets and hit upgrade right near a team fight and your damage is pretty outstanding. Usually once a team fight kicks off people are not paying any attention to anything other than champions so the turrets wind up doing a ton of splash damage.

JohnCataldo

06-01-2011

Spells
Teleport + Whatever. Heimer is king of defending turrets, AND pushing turrets that aren't being defended by enemy champs. You want to get to those places. Consider Flash for escaping, Exhaust for general utility (quite useful for getting kills when someone dives you at your cannons, keeping you alive and keeping them in range), Ignite for utility (but Heimer usually doesn't want to get into Ignite range), or Clairvoyance for utility (once in a blue moon you can get a missile kill by CV'ing to get the missile hit, too).

Items, Runes,
These are linked, at least a little. You'll need decent source of mana regen. This could just be runes, or likely Tear -> Archangel's staff. Magic pen and AP are good options for runes as well.

Boots of Mobility (speed 5) are great for getting across the map. Same reasons as Teleport, Heimer wants to get into position on a strategic scale. If you are trying to be super crazy carry killer Heimer (which can work), Sorceror's boots are often better, but tends not to work against great teams.

Otherwise, any standard AP/MPen items work. Rylai's combos well with Missiles, of course. Most games avoid getting both Rod of Ages and Rylai's, as that's spending a lot of money for more health than you really need. But do get one if the enemy has lots of jumpy/assassin characters who can try to spike you to death even if you are behind your teammates.

Aegis has special consideration for Heimer, since it buffs his turrets and is a good overall defensive item. Don't get it if one of the tanks on your team is already going for it, but Heimer is also a good choice since like most tanks he'd like to live through most of the fight (so Auras work well on him). It also buffs your other normal lane creeps, so if you are trying to be a super tower pusher this helps a lot. Just the +8 damage on a wave of creeps helps knock down towers quickly.

Many Heimers seem to entirely avoid getting any kind of armor or MR, or even health, but if you want some and your team doesn't have Aegis already, it's pretty much the best choice (and relatively affordable).

Masteries

Fairly standard 9/0/21. Nothing special, nor any other options really worth considering.

Abilities
There's two schools of thought: Max Missiles vs. Turrets.

Missiles are the only realistic choice if you want to be a super carry and snipe all kinds of kills (and possibly get accused of kill-stealing, but whatever).

Turrets have a few good options. Many people just max them for the amazing farming (which lets you get better items than if you max Missiles, unless getting missiles is really feeding you lots of kills). Some people get Tier 3 Turrets (at level 5), which gets you both the very strong Armor/MR reduction (green turrets) as well as the ability to drop 2 turrets. Those upgrades are much more important than the Tier 4 and Tier 5 abilities on turrets, though red turrets are obviously king of farming and pushing lanes (but don't really do much more during laning or necessarily in team fights, at least against enemies that pay attention... the AoE shouldn't be hitting many enemy champs at once).

Getting at least one turret early on makes a lot of sense, of course, even just to help farm a tiny bit (it's quite strong) or to act as a ward (just drop one in the river nearby and ignore it).

Grenade gains the least by leveling it past tier 1 (nowadays), but getting tier 1 by level 4 is imperative. I almost always take it at level 2, whichever way I'm playing, because of it's amazing defensive capabilities, especially against enemy melee champs who will jump on you. You can always stun a melee champ who is standing on you, often with your turrets destroying him as he does it.

Terrorship

06-01-2011

Getting kills and staying alive...with Heimerdinger? Not his strong suit. Turret leveling being a good source of gold seems to be incorrect. Last hits are how you get reliable gold. Not pushing a lane helps prevent ganks, and allow for your team to gank. With no escape, taking teleport seems risky, be sure you have flash at least.

Heimer can work OK if your team groups up for sustained push. He's best with a blue buff and a team that takes advantage of his ability to poke/push opening up a tower for downing it IMO. I don't see that he's a good split pusher, way too risky and he's much better in a team poke. He does low burst because his abilities are AOE, which means to reach efficiency you have to be hitting multiple opponents in order to exceed what a single target caster would be putting out.

And, you need to land grenade. It's AOE and a nice double debuff, but it's also a slow skill shot meaning it's easy to do nothing with it. Best to wait until someone else lands CC then follow up with slownade. If you never land grenades, your team was better off with most any other caster. If you land the stun as follow up after an initiation, Karma lifts up her kimono with joy.

For items you need AP, and enough mana and defense to stay in a fight. Blue buff + glyphs + mastery is your CDR.

JohnCataldo

06-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrorship View Post
Getting kills and staying alive...with Heimerdinger? Not his strong suit. Turret leveling being a good source of gold seems to be incorrect. Last hits are how you get reliable gold. Not pushing a lane helps prevent ganks, and allow for your team to gank. With no escape, taking teleport seems risky, be sure you have flash at least.
Early game turrets don't farm you tons of gold (like levels 1-5), but by mid game if you level turrets you can eat massive creep waves with the best of them, and you don't even have to hang around.

Taking teleport doesn't make you extra dead or anything. I have no idea what the point of saying "taking teleport seems risky" even means here. It's not like you will teleport into a pile of enemies, and sometimes you can escape by teleporting out (not the primary use, of course). What do you suggest? Flash/Ghost for escaping? That seems pretty silly, frankly. Flash/Exhaust are better defensive choices for just staying alive, but Teleport (which most teams should have at least one of anyway) is insanely useful on Heimer for strategic offense and defense. Flash/Teleport is a perfectly great combo. I just tend to run CV/Teleport, because most teams need a CV and no one else takes it. (Against assassinish teams, Flash is better.)

Quote:
Heimer can work OK if your team groups up for sustained push. He's best with a blue buff and a team that takes advantage of his ability to poke/push opening up a tower for downing it IMO. I don't see that he's a good split pusher
He's absolutely fine as a split pusher if you are warding appropriately and have fast boots. Sure, he's no Yi, but he has the additional ability to be very good with team pushing.

Quote:
...he's much better in a team poke. He does low burst because his abilities are AOE, which means to reach efficiency you have to be hitting multiple opponents in order to exceed what a single target caster would be putting out.
He's no LeBlanc or Ryze burster, but his poke makes up for it, and against squishies a single missile can take half their health. The problem with playing Heim as a crazy offensive dude is that smart enemies can avoid the missiles, of course.

Quote:
Best to wait until someone else lands CC then follow up with slownade.
This at least is very true. Heim is much better on a team with other reliable roots. Sion/Taric are prime examples though there are many others.

Quote:
For items you need AP, and enough mana and defense to stay in a fight. Blue buff + glyphs + mastery is your CDR.
Don't buy too much CDR, for sure, since his ultimate gives quite a bit.

Needed defense depends very, very much on the enemies. Teams without real assassins will sometimes mean you actually get away without any defense items since you can just hang back and kite (with your team's support, of course). Diving through turrets and grenades is hard for most champions. Against stealthers or burst jumpers (Eve, Akali), it's impossible to get by without some kind of health at at least, maybe more.