Low ELO Guide

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Spencer

05-31-2011

I read a lot about LoL, probably more than I should. I watch streams when I can. I play often (just ask my girlfriend). I am in low ELO. I have yet to find an accurate guide to low ELO. I am hoping to write one.

1) Take tier lists and shove 'em

I know this sounds counterintuitive, but it is sadly true. There is no accurate tier list for low ELO. I know what Elementz says. It probably holds a lot of truth at some point, but not for < 1200. Teams filled with stuns will not know how to stop Kat. 5 ignites and Tryn will still get away. "Buy wards for Eve"... fat chance. At this level you can only hope that each person on your team knows their characters regardless of who they are.

2) Jungling =/= necessary

This pains me to say... I <3 jungling. If given my prefered pick, Trundle jungle would be top 5. That said, jungling has helped win games, but also it has helped lose games. You can almost guarantee your team will push to their tower giving you no chance of a gank. You can almost guarantee that if you do gank, they will not engage leaving you 1v2. You can amost guarantee that the enemy won't have a jungle and your top will be decimated 2v1 since they barely know their character.

3) Never assume anyone will pick for the team.

Got first pick? Awesome... there is a better than average chance that #4 & #5 pick will see that you have 2 AD carries and 1 AD jungler and still choose 2 more AD carries. No amount of talking will help you in champion selection (although it is still worth trying).

4) Assume unorthodox builds. AP Tryn? You betcha... No armor against 5 ADs? Of course... Revive/Smite in lane? It's rare, but I've seen it.

5) Buy wards... but I'm a carry you say? Tank or jungle or support should buy them first? They won't. Sadly, I would say 9/10 games I play I am the only person to buy wards. I try and buy 1 (sometimes 2) every time I go back.

AHostileUniverse

05-31-2011

Just sayin', this is more like a list of things wrong with low ELO rather than a list of advice.

Spencer

05-31-2011

True... but I have found that no orthodox guides will actually work. I think a list of what's wrong at low ELO is more helpful then:
Learn one of each class
Protect Dragon
and so on...
Low ELO you have to be prepared to hard carry.

Cheab

06-01-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spencer View Post
True... but I have found that no orthodox guides will actually work. I think a list of what's wrong at low ELO is more helpful then:
Learn one of each class
Protect Dragon
and so on...
Low ELO you have to be prepared to hard carry.
agreed.