Thoughts on potential Shen item builds

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Kritara

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-24-2010

So I've been playing around with "tank" shen and have come up with atleast 2 must-haves.

1) Like ramsus atleast 1 of your summoner spell needs to be flash. At level 5 "ninja taunt" it lasts for 2 seconds, which is 1 second better then ramsus plus it get's everybody you "run through". Taunt + flash or flash in and then taunt, it's pure win.

2) I'm thinking Atma scales incredibly well with this guy, not only does he do more damage form his passive based on his health; but Atma too? Win.

3) Sunfire seems especially beast, and having atleast 1 will help shen's terribad minion killing. Taunt + Sunfire = damage to everybody you taunted and because they're taunted = clumped up on you taking sunfire damage(atleast the melee ranged will just pew pew you where they stand).

4) While Shen's AP scaling is great I don't see it as viable as all. Only 1 of his AP abilities does damage, while the other gives extra power to the shield. There's only 4 AP items that don't have mana on them, that I can think of.

a)Mejai Soulstealer which seems silly to build an AP snowball item on a tank like shen. While it does leave the potential for a hard hitting vorpal blade, and up to 200 extra power to your shield. Tanks are usually in a precarious position; they should be the ones to sacrifice themselves to save the rest of the group when your retreating.

b)Ryjal Scepter which is 80 AP, 550 hp, and slow on spell damage. At first I was looking at Ryjal and thinking hrmm, having a slow would seem great but it only applies to vorpal blade as it's no longer on spell hit. If it was spell hit; the utility of Ryjal is greatly increased with the nature of Shen's taunt; alas it is not

c) Void Staff- Decent AP and MR reduction, but not worth it seeing how Shen only has 1 AP item.

d) Zhoyna Ring- This actually seems interesting on Shen. Not only can you go into the group and clump them up with taunt, you can go invul right after to live and midigate a large amount of damage with it's active.

Suggested Items: I'd say giving shen Warmog, ninja-tabi boots/mercury treads, 1-2 Sunfire Capes, Atma Impaler, and Banshee Veil/Guardian Angel seems solid. You'll have decent health, good armor, and nice attack damage.

I'd like to hear some thoughts on other possible Shen builds though.

Kritara

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-24-2010

30+ views and no responses? Boo I say. Also i've been thinking of his skills, other then getting each of his skills by level 3. I max out his taunt while using vorpal blade as filler. As far as I can see his shield scales poorly as it levels and doesn't seem worth putting additional points into.

Ravatar

03-24-2010

What do you think about frozen mallet? His damage is so pitiful, it seems like perma-slow + some additional damage couldn't hurt for chasing and ganking.

duffm4n

03-24-2010

just a thought thornmail might be a great item on him considering his e move collision will taunt minions as well and help farm and reflect damage. Additional afterthought as well he is in need of MR so the banshee's veil or even force of nature for movement speed regen and MR is not a bad idea.

Mowarth

03-24-2010

Rammus not Ramsus.

Eat dat chammich

03-24-2010

My first thought was Frozen Mallet/Rylai's then Atma's then start grabbing more mitigations (Banshee's maybe).

SolAnchovy

03-24-2010

Don't forget that he has a skill that mitigates one champion spell/attack already and it refreshes pretty quickly. Getting golem is both easy at early levels with his vorpal blade and a must with the cooldown/energy regen you get.

I've found Phantom Dancer and Frozen M to be important in being able to gank.

gun fu panda

03-24-2010

I'm leaning towards

Doran's Shield + HP pot
Warmog's
Boots (probably merc treads)
Atma's
Sunfire Capes until the end of the game

I think this will help take advantage of his passive and give him some mean hit and run strikes. Getting anything but HP seems pointless on him. He doesn't tank by standing in the middle of a fight and hanging out. He seems very hit and run in his "tanking" style.

blithen

03-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun fu panda View Post
He doesn't tank by standing in the middle of a fight and hanging out. He seems very hit and run in his "tanking" style.
Exactly my thoughts. I was thinking...
Doran's Shield + Hpot, the reason for the shield and not just straight regrowth is because he seems a little squishy to me in the beginning.
Thornmail As someone said this is good for the style of tanking, just E in and watch everything get owned.
Boots
Warmogs Obvious reasons
Then atma's to make him hit harder.
That's what I'm working with so far.

Eat dat chammich

03-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun fu panda View Post
I'm leaning towards

Doran's Shield + HP pot
Warmog's
Boots (probably merc treads)
Atma's
Sunfire Capes until the end of the game

I think this will help take advantage of his passive and give him some mean hit and run strikes. Getting anything but HP seems pointless on him. He doesn't tank by standing in the middle of a fight and hanging out. He seems very hit and run in his "tanking" style.
You say to stack Sunfire and then say that he is not a stand in and tank style....doesn't that contradict itself. Sunfire is only good if you can stand in the middle of multiple people for a while. Hit and run items are stuff like Rylai's, DFG, and Lichbane.