Linux!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Droog

03-24-2010

I have always used Windows. I don't hate Windows, but I'm bored with it. I'm thinking of dabbling in Linux for the hell of it, I'm just not sure if I should go Ubuntu or Linux Mint. I plan on dual-booting with Windows still. Suggestions?

LostSailor

03-24-2010

I recently went through the same thing. I chose Linux Mint 7. I threw it on an old Laptop I have. It works great. I like all of the features Mint builds into their distro. They have a great selection of multimedia apps all ready to go for you.

Linux in general is fun. I was absolutely stumped on how to do simple things at first. For example, I unpacked a .tar and installed a program, and after a little trial and error everything seemed to go successfully. But I couldn't actually figure out where the program was when I went to run it. After a while though, it becomes pretty intuitive, and you really get a sense for how an OS is structured and things really work in the guts of a file system.

Long story short, I can definitely vouch for Mint. It is solid. If you do any sort of media editing, or just have an expansive music or video library, Mint is that much better.

pandamine

Adjudicator

03-24-2010

It really depends what you want out of linux, its completely customizable and linux itself is just a kernel

If you want something that you can setup in no time and you dont want to worry about anything, then ubuntu/linux mint/mandrake/suse is the way to go

If you want to set up your own linux but in a nice and simple way I would recommend archlinux

If your a total geek with nothing better in your time to do then screw around with linux, gentoo/slackware is good