What happened to cooldown champs being weaker?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Supan00b

05-31-2011

When I started LoL in open beta, i was having a blast despite ridiculous AP TFate, everyone on the forum saying Nasus' Spirit Fire was mega OP (That was a good laugh), and I couldn't believe that there was a stealthed ranged unit.

After about my 10th game, I saw my first Penta kill. The enemy Katarina shunpo'd into our team and ult'd. Us being a bunch of noobs stood there and gave a penta.

I thought "I MUST HAVE HER", so she was the first champ I bought. After stomping with her, she was nerfed into oblivion. Since she was my favorite, I of course followed Riot's comments about her, hoping for buffs.

What one Rioter said long ago was that because she didn't have to use mana and she only ran on cooldowns, she was supposed to be a bit weaker than the rest of the cast. I accepted this reason and found it to be sound logic.

However when Garen was released, it bothered me that he only ran on CD and at the time, was the one of the most ridiculous champion in the game for quite a while. However they wanted him to be the face of League so I ignored it.

But now, with Renekton and Rumble having not only mana, but a bar which actually makes them better, I have to ask, what happened Riot? I miss the logic D:

TL;DR - Non mana users are supposed to be slightly weaker due to not having to rely on mana. I took this from an old Riot statement.

Supan00b

05-31-2011

No one cares?

Buccaneer

05-31-2011

OP is right. Rumble needs higher cooldowns

Rossa Auster

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Supan00b View Post
When I started LoL in open beta, i was having a blast despite ridiculous AP TFate, everyone on the forum saying Nasus' Spirit Fire was mega OP (That was a good laugh), and I couldn't believe that there was a stealthed ranged unit.

After about my 10th game, I saw my first Penta kill. The enemy Katarina shunpo'd into our team and ult'd. Us being a bunch of noobs stood there and gave a penta.

I thought "I MUST HAVE HER", so she was the first champ I bought. After stomping with her, she was nerfed into oblivion. Since she was my favorite, I of course followed Riot's comments about her, hoping for buffs.

What one Rioter said long ago was that because she didn't have to use mana and she only ran on cooldowns, she was supposed to be a bit weaker than the rest of the cast. I accepted this reason and found it to be sound logic.

However when Garen was released, it bothered me that he only ran on CD and at the time, was the one of the most ridiculous champion in the game for quite a while. However they wanted him to be the face of League so I ignored it.

But now, with Renekton and Rumble having not only mana, but a bar which actually makes them better, I have to ask, what happened Riot? I miss the logic D:

TL;DR - Non mana users are supposed to be slightly weaker due to not having to rely on mana. I took this from an old Riot statement.
Gotta have them 'easy' to play characters for the casual farmville crowd that can also reward them with kills. No mana to manage, easy to build, easy escapes, high survivability.

unoriginal namer

05-31-2011

ren is a good pick, although he was used how many times in the tourney

rumble is trash plain and simple

unless he gets fed like crazy he does nothing after 25 minutes

redlightman

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-31-2011

Cooldown champions have longer cooldowns than mana users for their power. Cooldown champions aren't weaker. They try to keep every champion around the same power level.

Supan00b

05-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by unoriginal namer View Post
ren is a good pick, although he was used how many times in the tourney

rumble is trash plain and simple

unless he gets fed like crazy he does nothing after 25 minutes
I don't really like that logic. People basing their opinions on tournament matches seem to distract from the truth. I know why people do it, since it's the top tier players and it's balanced around them for various reasons, but look at vayne. The tourney matches I watched with her in it, she did poorly.

However ANY other elo she's effortlessly stomping kids into the ground. Whatever, that's not the topic.

In my non high elo matches, Ren and Rumble are very good.