Trueshot barrage is the best example of a well designed ult.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Cupiter

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-31-2011

nunu also falls under this category =]

Tulki

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-31-2011

I remember playing Ezreal for the second or third time ever during a free week.

Cast Trueshot barrage towards the end of a team fight to try and finish off one champion. It took them down to within an inch of their life, but the barrage kept going and somehow killed two enemy champions in their base, neither of which I could even see. >->

Abe Jantz

Recruiter

05-31-2011

I play alot of Ezreal... Alot!

And love his ult.

Kietsu

05-31-2011

I love Rumble's ult. There's a surprising amount of thought involved when you want to land the best shot possible, and it feels powerful and unique.

purkel

05-31-2011

I really like Cass's ultimate.

Majiger

05-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by NougetTime View Post
Akali: No skill, the counter play is to hope she runs out of dashes, its reward only comes about after using it 2-3 times.
Erm what? It's her only way to move around the battlefield other than summoners and running around...as an ASSASSIN. She also requires an enemy target. This means she is limited to the offensive. It's a high risk high reward skill. Get a kill? Get a stack, jump in at the wrong time? get CCed and die.

I'm sorry but the Ez argument was great until I saw that. If R proced Q then it would be a stupid easy ult and champ.

P.S: I love Ali's ult. Makes me go Rambo on everything until I remember I have low damage T_T (I don't play AP)

Shiralune

05-31-2011

Quote:
In my humble opinion, an ultimate should not just be a stronger version of your skills, but should require a few more things:

1. Skill: Ezreal's trueshot barrage has a lot of warning (AAARRRGGGGHHHH) and does less damage for every hit unit. Plus nothing beats the "nice shot!" your teammate gives you.

2. High-reward: Not only does it synergize with his passive very nicely, it does a considerable amount of damage, and now scales to a degree with both his primary and secondary builds.

3. Counter-play: You can dodge it, and if he's foolish enough to use it close you can even punish him for it.

4. It follows the flow of the character (Long range ult, long range character)

It's alot more fun when ultimate's have all three of these under there belt. Another good example would be Lux's space laser. We need more of these and less of:

Jax: No skill, no real counter play but CC him and hope his stacks come off, its reward is you get to auto attack some more...yeaaa!

Akali: No skill, the counter play is to hope she runs out of dashes, its reward only comes about after using it 2-3 times.

Cass: Requires some skill and timing, Countered by turning your back, can be high reward, BUT you have to go melee range for a caster, this makes the ult rarely worth it. (No i didn't forget about kennan, although i kinda like his ult, its bad by design and makes you get zhonya's.)

TLR Everyone likes a high reward ult that takes skill and has good counterplay to negate it.
Just saying, it has less reward than an Ashe arrow, and more skill than it.

>.>

NougetTime

05-31-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by purkel View Post
I really like Cass's ultimate.
That i will agree is very debatable. If you even look at my own points it matches 3 of them, however forcing a caster to go melee is bad in my opinion, but at the same time the rest of her skills are relatively close range so the ult fits the flow of the character. Tough call.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shiralune View Post
Just saying, it has less reward than an Ashe arrow, and more skill than it.

>.>
Ashe's ult is a good ult, and i don't think it should be compared to Ez. Ez is the same no matter what range, ashe's is better further and does less with a slower travel time. The stun is still amazing, but can be cleansed adding to the counter-play. I like it.

Intentional Love

05-31-2011

Quote:
That i will agree is very debatable. If you even look at my own points it matches 3 of them, however forcing a caster to go melee is bad in my opinion, but at the same time the rest of her skills are relatively close range so the ult fits the flow of the character. Tough call.
that and there isn't much warning of the ult so if melee enemies were to attack cass, theres a pretty high chance they are getting stoned.

Shiralune

05-31-2011

Quote:

Ashe's ult is a good ult, and i don't think it should be compared to Ez. Ez is the same no matter what range, ashe's is better further and does less with a slower travel time. The stun is still amazing, but can be cleansed adding to the counter-play. I like it.
Ashe's ult is much more rewarding. The stun is very powerful, no matter what the range, and thanks to it being instantaneous, it takes far less skill than Ez's ult. As much as i'd love your damage comment, Ez's ult is only BONUS AD, so until late-game, the rewards between the two skills fall squarely in Ashe's favor.

Ez's ult also requires more skill, in that to do the right damage, he has to avoid hitting ANY minions, lest he ends up hitting that champion with a 30% weaker ult. Ashe's ult has no such drawbacks.

I still think Ez's ult should be more like 0.7 total AD, rather than Bonus AD, or less damage decrease per hit, but that's me.