[Guide] Contemporary Cardmaster, the Benadryl Jackson Way

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Benadryl Jackson

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-24-2010

Greetings y’all. They call me Benadryl Jackson ‘cause I’m one mean antihistamine. Twisted Fate is my main man, and I’m here to tell you how to play him the Benadryl Jackson way. Now if y’all are new to this game you should summon someone else first, ‘cause TF is one complex gypsy.

Since The Patch that Changed Everything, as TF and I like to call it, I’ve experimented with a variety of builds. The Benadryl is a nostalgic man, but as much as I miss the old days I’ve concluded that a DPS/Attack Speed build is the way to go. Without further adieu, I’mma pour me some Southern Comfort and get this guide started.

Skills, and what to do with them:

Q - Wild Cards:

Twisted Fate used to be all about stacking AP like beer cans at a gypsy housewarming party. Not anymore. Benadryl Jackson doesn’t bother leveling this skill until he has to, but once it’s there you might as well use it to harass. Like mankind’s primordial fear of snakes, summoners still have a great fear of Wild Cards burned into their racial memory from the days of AP TF. Use this to your advantage.

W - Pick a Card:

Twisted Fate is a complicated man, and his revamped signature skill reflects this. Instead of just locking gold card 100% of time, now you need to actually judge the situation and choose the most viable card. When laning, you want to be using this skill constantly as it scares the **** out of your opponents. Blue card is now a fine choice for last-hitting creeps and restoring mana. Red card is now often better than gold card, as it does damage and slows, all in an AOE. Even if an enemy champion is staying out of your range, you can hit nearby creeps with red card and catch them in the AOE. Benadryl Jackson does this all the time, and so should you. Gold card should largely be ignored for the first half of the game, as the stun length is negligible at first (keep in mind that it’s still great at interrupting ults from Nunu and Fiddlesticks, among others). Once Pick a Card is fully leveled, gold card becomes a serious choice, though red is still often superior. Picking the right card is what makes the pros pro and the scrubs scrub the pro’s floors. Did I just say that? ****, Benadryl needs another drink.

E - Stacked Deck:

We all know how dependent Twisted Fate is on items, and compared to the old TF, leveling up this skill is practically like buying stuff. When your Stacked Deck is ready to blow its load there is a visual indicator which will probably scare your opponent off. This, plus Pick a Card, will allow you to constantly keep them away from the creeps. I’m sure y’all’ll be tempted to wait until Stacked Deck is ready to queue up a gold card for their face, but only an idiot would stick around to get hit by that. Instead, queue up a red card and hit the minions closest to their ass as they run away. Clearin’ the creeps and harassin’ your opponent at the same time – that’s how Benadryl Jackson rolls.

R - Destiny:

Ever since Gate got nerfed to the stone age, nobody used it unless they were using Destiny anyway, so Benadryl Jackson was happy to hear that they were combined into a single sweet skill. However, it only reveals now, and does not slow at all. This isn’t a problem for a seasoned TF veteran like Benadryl Jackson, but the fact remains that y’all gotta think more when using this ult. The general rule of thumb is to port not where they are, but where they are going to be. If there are friendly champs near your target, port to the opposite side, making them the meat in your team’s man-sandwich. It’s not always that simple though, so for the love of TF’s prize winning gumbo, please, please think before you port (you got 6 whole seconds to pontificate on it). I know y’all are eager to get in on them team fights, but that doesn’t make it ok for you to throw TF into a pile of stuns and instant death. Now if you do ult and decide there are no viable ganking targets, try to port somewhere useful anyway, such as an empty lane that could use some sweet, sweet pushin’.

Here’s how Benadryl Jackson levels those skills:

Get Pick a Card first. Now I some of y’all are gonna argue that Stacked Deck is a better first choice, but that’s bull****. What if someone tries to gank your jungling Shaco? What if you’re trying to gank their jungling Warwick? In other words, what if there’s an altercation when everybody is level 1, for whatever reason? I realize this doesn’t happen often, but if it does, you’ll be much better off with Pick a Card.
From level 2 onward, upgrade Stacked Deck whenever you can, and Pick a Card when you can’t. I shouldn’t have to tell y’all that Destiny takes priority. Wild Cards are worthless and should be ignored, but as I said before, once you’re forced to get them you might as well use them.

The Benadryl Build:

Believe it or not, Benadryl is a big fan of Doran’s Blade. The health is an obviously great boost for the early game, but on a sensitive soul like TF you’ll feel the difference even later on. The +6 damage sure is nice too. The 4% lifesteal is negligible but it adds up over time, especially if you’ve driven your opponent back to their nexus and are freely pushing the lane. I know y’all are inclined to pick an item that turns into something later, but Benadryl Jackson doesn’t have time for your flawed inclinations. Oh, and pick up a health pot or a mana pot to go with it. I don’t care which, just believe in yourself baby, ‘cause you know Benadryl Jackson does.

Once you hit level 6, it’s your duty to go back to base and get ready for a Destiny-fueled gank. Even if a gankportunity does not present itself at that time, you could use the shopping trip. Back in the day getting Sheen was my top priority, but that is no longer a certainty. If you got an early kill and have enough money to buy Sheen all at once, then go ahead and do it. If not, focus on something else since the component parts (Sapphire and Tome) do nothing relevant for you.

This is where the core philosophy of the Benadryl Build first comes into play, the philosophy being that there is no concrete build. You gotta follow your dreams and believe in the heart of the cards. I often get Berserker’s Greaves as my second item, unless the opposing team demands Mercury’s Treads, in which case I grab some regular boots and a component from my third item, which is…

Trinity Force:

Holy balls, everything about this item makes sense. Well, maybe not the AP, but even that gives a nice lil’ boost to Stacked Deck and Pick a Card. What I really like about this item is that it is made of up of tons of cheap parts. TF might just be the most item dependant champion in Summoner’s Rift, and being able to grab a small upgrade every time you blue pill is very nice. But which parts do you get first? Sheen used to be TF’s staple first item, but as I said earlier, you shouldn’t go for it unless you can buy the whole **** thing at once. Personally I like making Zeal first: The parts help you immediately, and the bonus move speed on the final product, along with your boots, will make you faster than a megling trollop at happy hour.
After Trinity Force, the order in which you get the following items depends largely on the context of the game.

Brutalizer:

25 damage? Good. 10% cooldown reduction? Also good. This plus your natural CDR from Stacked Deck will add up to a nice 25% total, which is more than enough to sling Pick a Cards like crazy and pop Destinies up the wazoo. The 15 armor penetration is particularly nice, and when stacked with armor pen from runes (should you choose to go that route)and masteries, you’ll be set. Anybody who buys more armor than you’ll be penetrating is probably playing a champion you shouldn’t be focusing in fights anyway, but every bit helps.

Sword of the Divine:

Benadryl rarely rolls without this beauty (when he doesn’t, it’s because the game ended before it could be bought). A huge attack speed buff, AND you can stack your deck while you stack your deck. Most importantly, picked cards can be dodged now, so the activated ability makes it an essential choice. I know y’all don’t like pressing more buttons than you’re used to. Back in the day, even Benadryl Jackson couldn’t be bothered to activate Deathfire Grasp in the heat of the moment. But times have changed, and so has the Benadryl. Get this thing, put in your first item slot, and hit 1 as soon as **** goes down. If the enemy team has a Jax or someone else inclined to dodge, then feel free to get this ASAP after Trinity Force.

Infinity Edge / The Bloodthirster:

Obvious choices for any DPS champion. It doesn’t really matter which one you pick, since either one will turn you into a monster (if the game goes on long enough, which it shouldn’t, you can get both). Just go with the flow and believe in yourself, Benadryl Jackson style. Sometimes the Benadryl ganks so hard that he has enough money to buy a B.F. sword early. If this happens to you, then do it, baby, and don’t look back.

Phantom Dancer:

This item is kind of a special case. I don’t usually get to build it before the game is over, but if it lasts long enough you’d better believe Benadryl Jackson will be packing one of these. The best part about this item is that it’s an excuse to buy another Zeal, not that Benadryl Jackson needs excuses for anything.

Optional Items:

Technically, every item I’ve mentioned so far is “optional” under the philosophy of the Benadryl Build, but I digress – the following are items I rarely use, but have situational relevance.

Wit’s End:

This item gets a bad rap, but if you’re going up against a mage-heavy team then it is worth serious consideration. The attack speed and magic resist are certainly relevant, and imagine the havoc you will wreak upon their mana pools after a well-placed gold card!

Last Whisper:

Tank-heavy team? A team full of wise guys stacking Thornmail? Then forget about The Brutalizer and get this thing. Not only is the name totally sweet (Benadryl Jackson is a poet at heart), but it will ream them good.

Banshee’s Veil:

I rarely buy an item that doesn’t help me smash face, but once you’ve established some good attack speed and DPS, you might want to forgo saving up for something ridiculous like Infinity Edge and get this first. If you don’t understand why you would want to buy this item or the circumstances in which you should, then you shouldn’t be summoning Twisted Fate yet.

Well folks, that’s about all there is to it. I’d like to thank y’all for reading my guide, and wish you the best of times in Summoner’s Rift. I’d wish you good luck too, but you won’t need luck if you’re playing Twisted Fate the Benadryl Jackson way. I guess it’s time for me to hit the hay tonight, ‘cause I just ran out of Southern Comfort.

Riot aBhorsen

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

eSports Coordinator

03-24-2010

I disagree, i think your item build is A. Too expensive B. Not cost effective.

Though i'm biased as you spoke in the 3rd person for some reason.

I find that Sword of the Divine + Guinsoo's Rageblade and TF can be a great DPS'er.

Your ability analysis was good though. However i still prefer Gold to Red but there is a time and place for all the cards now, as you stated.

Benadryl Jackson

03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by aBhorsenn View Post
I disagree, i think your item build is A. Too expensive B. Not cost effective.

Though i'm biased as you spoke in the 3rd person for some reason.

I find that Sword of the Divine + Guinsoo's Rageblade and TF can be a great DPS'er.

Your ability analysis was good though. However i still prefer Gold to Red but there is a time and place for all the cards now, as you stated.
Please explain further. Trinity Force seems plenty cost effective for TF.

As for Guinsoo's Rageblade, I understand it's all the rage among TF summoners these days, and I can't deny that it makes sense. However, I do not like it as an early item because the component parts are expensive and require saving up. As I said in my guide, the strength of going Trinity Force first is that you are constantly able to buy upgrades throughout the first part of the game, and thus constantly have an advantage.

a very nice boy

03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benadryl Jackson View Post

As for Guinsoo's Rageblade, I understand it's all the rage among TF summoners these days, and I can't deny that it makes sense. However, I do not like it as an early item because the component parts are expensive and require saving up. As I said in my guide, the strength of going Trinity Force first is that you are constantly able to buy upgrades throughout the first part of the game, and thus constantly have an advantage.
Pound for pound, it's far better to rush SotD in my opinion because in combination with SD it makes your redcard ridiculous and it's relatively cheap, making you an extremely viable lane pusher early game. It also makes Jax players have hilarious meltdowns. After that, I might start buying Trinity pieces, starting with Phage because of the slow and HP boost, but rarely with Trinity in mind.

The item after boots and SotD is pretty much entirely dependent on what the other team is playing. Trinity is a good item, it does a lot of very nice things, but I find that it's too "general use" for TF. I'm stacking AS and, to a slightly lesser extent damage (due to stacked deck and SotD automatically making AS really important in the early and midgame), and I don't want to pay to boost anything else. For example, sheen boosts mana, which as TF is pretty much unnecessary if you're DPS. Even though the passive is nice, in the early game 100 magic damage every four hits with a +55% AS is a lot more brutal than a +80% attack damage after using a skill. That's just my opinion though.

edit: Also hell yes to Banshee's Veil. That has saved me as TF at the endgame so many times that I may name my first born child after it.

Riot aBhorsen

eSports Coordinator

03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Benadryl Jackson View Post

You are constantly able to buy parts for the Trinity Force which means you are constantly not in the game earning your XP?

You drop 4k on your Trinity Force, Where as i'll drop just over 4k on my 2 items. I just feel that i would be much stronger with my 2 items as opposed to you with your 1 Trinity Force which we will both be getting at roughly the same time.

But like i said, i feel what you say is the "strength" of your Trinity, constantly buying items, is actually it's downfall!