Tribunal and the N Word

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Illbilly

05-30-2011

If I see someone using any racial slur often in more than one game, or saying something along the lines of "*****t", "wh*re", "motherf**ker" repeatedly, I vote punish, regardless of anything else.

Hayabusa Fury

05-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yugthrad View Post
Any racial slur automatically makes me vote punish. I can understand noob, baddy, uninstall, etc.... but when racial slurs pop up I can't do anything but vote to remove them from the community.
all those other things are not helping the community either. In fact I hate the "N" word being thrown around I can let it go as a child seeking attention. When a person wont stop with "baddie, noob, or uninstall" cause I went AD Poppy and not AP, I would rather have the community learn to not be like that.

Remember punish is not perma-ban, just at minimum a warning. So if they broke the rules harassing with "noob" then they need a warning, so I choose punish and Riot can choose the actul punishment.

Also I see all these post about "they reported for A and there was no A so I pardoned". There should be around 8 other reports or more in some cases. I have seen maybe 2 out of 8 that did not warrant a report and should get pardon but the other 6 reports were terrible and needed punish. It is for the entire body of work, not just the first reports in the case. I am not sure if people are even reading all the report in a single case.

The Third Act

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-30-2011

I dunno. Usually yeah, but if I come across some guy quoting Pulp Fiction or something, I'd be more inclined to pardon. Or if he was using it to refer to his duo-queu friend in a way that shows neither side care.

Lusis

05-30-2011

The difference between normal vulgarities and racial slurs is pretty simple to understand. Normal curse words did not come about with the sole purpose of being used to disparage a specific group of people.

I removed the filter block because I use adult language myself and it doesn't offend me to see it. That does NOT mean that I should now be subject to racism and slander. I mean our country is only ~50 years removed from government sanctioned segregation. That is basically no time at all in regards to overall history.

If you want to use the word among your friends when no one else is around then you can. It's a free country. However don't expect to find others so tolerant when you are in a public setting.

GoSu sAviOr

05-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by KhaorvaK View Post
Just gonna say it: I try to remain objective until I see the N Word. After that I don't even waste my time as it has become obvious that the person isn't someone I'd want to see in game.

If somehow TL: DR; N-Word= insta punish. so stop it.
Good job giving the word meaning/relevance by punishing people for using it!

I love you try-hard moral crusaders. All it takes to get you excited is the arrangement of a few letters.

Mordwyrhta

05-30-2011

Depends on the usage for me.

Despite being white as a sheet, I listened to a lot of Onyx with my friends while we were really young so we say ****a a lot (with an A) as a term of endearment. Like "My ****a" or "What's up ****a?". If I saw it used that way, I'd have no issue.

When used in a derogatory way, then yeah, auto-punish.

RaulGarcia1

05-30-2011

I would overlook offensive language too for many use them out of frustration dealing with a complete idiot. But yes i do agree once the person starts pulling out racial slurs.. insta punish.

Ramayana

05-30-2011

Until riot starts mass perma-banning accounts for constant harassment, nothing will be solved. Every game that you lose, and half the games that you win there is someone completely raging on the team, and it's honestly to the point where it is the ONLY thing I hate about this game, but it is big enough that I end every game asking myself why I continue playing.

Even when the rage isn't directed at me, its so infuriating to know that people actually act like that, and it's all because they A) feel big and tough due to the anonymity of the internet and B) feel that there is no repercussions in this game whatsoever. I just had a game with a trundle pissing and moaning from about the 3rd minute on. Telling everyone they are f*gs, n*ggers, and anything else that would jump into his 16 year old counterstrike kiddie mind of his, all while saying that hes not worried about being banned because Riot doesn't ban anyone, and while that's clearly not true, he is right that it takes a person ruining HUNDREDS of peoples games before they even have a CHANCE to be banned. There should not be anymore first, second third offenses with varying degrees of bans. If their case has made it to the tribunal, due to X amount of cases in the past X amount of time, and they are voted majority to punish. The account should be deleted, do not pass go, do not collect $200. Riot should send them an email letting them know that it has been deleted, and they are welcome to start over again from scratch, but they will not be getting anything from there account back, no matter how much money has been spent on it. The ONLY way it seems that people will learn to keep themselves under control is if it becomes a SERIOUS punishment if they are reported enough, because right now it is even a slight deterrence.

KhaorvaK

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-31-2011

As an English major with degree, I have to point something out to a lot of the posters here...

the power of words are not defined by the weight any individual places upon any word. Words are defined by the power the community gives a word.

And currently, the community gives the N-word a lot of power. Denying it won't help you not get insta-banned.