How to play the *new* Gangplank

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Simon Belmont2

03-23-2010

Gangplank got a nerf but on the other hand, he didn't. Now what does this mean? Well, now, Parrrley shot is synced up to his melee damage so it forces Gangplank into melee combat earlier if he wants to do any real damage and provide for the team since Parrrley shot is also reduced by armor now it can't always be relied upon to deal the majority of the damage so Gangplank has moved beyond ONLY being a support caster, to being a caster who initiates the fight with his ult, Parrrley's their carry, and runs in killing their carries / casters / supports so fast that if you aren't killed immediately you will score tripple, quad or even penta kills.

How do I build my Gangplank now?

9 marks of armor penetration
3 Quints of armor penetration
Seals and Glyphs of crit dmg.

You can also use Quints of crit dmg in place of armor penetration but keep at least +20 armor penetration because once people hit the 50 armor mark it'll reduce your Parrrley crit damage too much and hurt your mid-game which most even squishies hit 50 armor..

Summoner Skills:

Ghost: Why Ghost and not Flash? Flash is overrated, hugely long cooldown and many times you can't really escape with it. Gangplank's Raise Moral, boots, and Ghost with cleanse and eat fruit means he should be unkillable for the most part.

Cleanse: Having eat fruit on cooldown sucks, get cleanse to back it up for ultimate survivability. Since you will be meleeing for massive damage, eventually the other team will start taking you seriously and spamming you with garbage.

Masteries:

These are always flexible to how you want to work them but...
http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Gangp...ccb548c7b37d5c

Check that link for my items, runes, and masteries, I got 23/3/4.

Items

*NOTE* I see people getting Meki Pendant and Chalice, I used to do this until I realized by mid game to late game I'm never running out of mana so therefore I just used almost 1000 gold for something that only helped me get a few extra Parrrley shots off early game...? Really? No, don't bother because it will slow down infinity edge.

2 Avarice blades first, why? Because it really does help and it pays off for itself, really. I have these 2 before 10 minutes.
You paid 750 for 1, you got 450 gold in return in 15 minutes from 1, 2 gave you 850 gold. It helps in getting the Infinity Edge by 21 minutes. Then Phantom dancer for the crit % attack speed and movement speed, so you can be a REAL mobile Pirate, running in and out of combat as to not get owned by crowd control effects.

After that, get exec calling because by late game, life steal is going to be the only thing keeping you alive.

Mind you, after you get Infinity Edge, you SHOULD be killing people a lot unless your team is just getting steamrolled, then forget it. But you should be able to afford Phantom Dancer and Exec calling by 35-40 minutes.. I've even gotten Phantom by 30.

If the enemy is very armor based, you can get a Last Whisper before or after Executioners calling, remember selling the Avarice blades can help generate quick income to get these last 2 items.

Ability Builds:

1. Parrrley
  2. Raise Moral
  3. Parrrley
  4. Raise Moral
  5. Remove Scurvey
  6. Cannon Barrage
  7. Parrrley
  8. Parrrley
  9. Raise Moral
  10. Parrrley
  11. Cannon Barrage
  12. Raise Moral
  13. Raise Moral
  14. Remove Scurvey
  15. Remove Scurvey
  16. Cannon Barrage
  17. Remove Scurvey
  18. Remove Scurvey

Playstyle:

Early game: just minion kill. Gangplank used to be able to get massive early kills because magic penetration was cheaper, the nerf really killed his early game. You can start harassing with Parrrley after you get the 2nd Avarice blade, you should crit pretty hard with the armor penetration runes and damage runes. If someone gets low life and starts running, hit Ghost, chase, and finish him off with another Parrrley or melee attacks. Be sure to watch the map after you get your ult, see what could help your team out, or see what could get you a kill like if you see someone with 10hp B by a tower, cast ult he's generally dead unless he's REALLY lucky.

Mid game: Team fights will break out, remember to use your ult for EVERY team fight unless you're just ganking someone. But 4v4, 5v5, 3v3, definitely use your ult immediately after someone has initiated the fight. Make sure that they are BUSY in the battle attacking someone before you use your ult, otherwise they just run out and it's not effective at all like this. Focus on killing champions or farming creep waves to afford items. Also during every time fight, if your minions are nearby, use raise moral to give your team a huge speed buff, it helps significantly.

You should NEVER, under any circumstances, initiate a fight. You need to stand back and Parrrley until the enemy begins focusing your other team members (Hopefully a tank), then you cast your ult, raise moral, Parrrley, and run in picking off their carries and squishies. You do your team no good if they disable you and kill you in 1 second (sometimes not even 1 second). If someone flames you "WTF YOU DOING GANGPLANK LOLOL ATTACK SOMETHING" ignore them and focus on when the best time to jump in is. This is MORE important in late game because you will be doing so much damage that they will, if they are smart, focus you so you need to wiggle your way in. Don't forget to use Ghost to chase too!

Late Game: You will be feared by now use the strategy for attacking mentioned in the paragraph above and just be careful not to let crowd control own you, best to wait until the enemy champions are on cooldown then you run in and kill. You will kill their squishies and semi-squishies so fast that they won't have time to get off cooldown. Also, don't focus on tanks (duh!), you will just not do any damage to them. As Gangplank, you are the squishy destroyer and keep it that way.

Another interesting thing is, late game your Parrrley will do so much damage to Twitch you will be critting him for 1k about, then you rush in and hit him once with melee he's probably dead by now. So even the super carries like Twitch are no match for a good Gangplank.

Fbsunny

03-23-2010

Your build really isnt that great, you need mana regen if you want to not have to go back often. Also you have over 100% crit chance which is just plain ******ed.

Here is a better build.

Philo Stone
Boots
IE
boots-> mobility or berserkers
PD
BT
Last whisper if needed or BV if needed or whatever you need situationally

For runes switch out the crit damage for crit chance for a better early game, and since you will be getting more +damage items your late game parrrleys will be better as well. For masteries go 21/0/9 the extra experience is definitely worth it so you can get higher level parrrley faster.

For summoner spells go with either exhaust/flash or exhaust/ghost, you already have a cleanse and on a relatively short cooldown. If you dont waste it trying to heal yourself a little bit you shouldnt need cleanse.

Simon Belmont2

03-23-2010

I never go back without mana regen items?

You can only get like 20% max if you fill ALL your runes with crit % chance I find that useless. Flash is useless, Ghost gives you more mobility for a much longer duration. I do run Exhaust sometimes but I definitely prefer to have 2 cleanse.

Also how long does it take you to get Infinity Edge with Philo stone build?

Holypope

03-23-2010

The philo stone build should generate significantly more gold than yours...

Your build leaves you tragically mana-starved. You're barely ever going to be able to use parley without regen and for some reason you've ignored it. Getting a Philo stone (with the mana regen component at L1) will give you enough mana to fire parley at every cooldown, which will generate a lot of extra early game gold. I'd agree that averice blades would be better IF you had some way of using parley, but with no mana regen runes, you're never going to have the chance to shoot at anyone for those big crits anyway. Philo stone, though boring, is a really solid 1st item. It'll keep you using your abilities, staying healthy, and farming creeps with parley. Since you won't need it late game, sell it off at your leisure.

Arcostis

03-23-2010

Read HeatnServes GP build, he theorycrafted and tested everything and is by far the best build i have come across for GP

Equos

03-23-2010

Tankplank still reigns supreme IMO.
Philo stone or chalice, an avarice blade or two, warmogs and then atmas and IE. also boots of whatever you need most obviously. (merc treads and chalice is REAL nice against ap heavy teams)
Running this build I usually have ~3000 HP, 60-70% crit chance (20% crit chance rune page), decent MR/armor and 150-300 dmg (depending how far along in the build I get)
If the game really runs long, throw in a last whisper.

I have about 500-600 games played in LoL and my general conclusion is that builds revolving around HP are the builds that win games.

TSM KoreanKimchi

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-23-2010

I like your play style but I disagree with the crit oriented gangplank build. His cannonballs are really his bread and butter. I usually either start with meki or bead and charm. Then I will either get chalice if the other team is caster heavy, or usually haunting guise. Many ask why would you still get guise when parley is physical now. Guise gives you 10 percent cool down and mana regen, and the spell pen still works with cannonballs. After that I get usually get merc treads because fruit just doesnt cut it all the time. Also the combo of chalice and merc treads gives a healthy dose of magic res when necessary. Then I get the brutaliser for the armor pen and with guise you have 20% cd reduction on cannonballs so you can launch them all day. Then I begin building IE. After that I usually end up getting a Tri force. If time permits and depending on how the game is going I sometimes will get Frozen heart as last item for further cd reduction and late game survivability. i run all blue cd reduction runes and all red armor pen with quinstences. You usually end up doing pretty good damage even late game. Ghost and exhaust are the best skills as you suggested. Your movement speed ends up being pretty sick, and sometimes early game you can ghost after somebody that is trying to run to their tower and get a parley off for the kill. IMO though the real advantage of GP is his cannonballs in team fights. It is usually good to wait on the outskirts and wait for the entire enemy team to engage and then drop balls on them and then clean up the mess.

xahhfink6

03-23-2010

Big Thumbs up to Equos, glad I'm not the onlyone playing Support GP or TANKPLANK - THE SCOURGE OF TEAMS as I like to call him.

@ OP
Look up some guides/calculations, crit chance will do more than crit damage for you, pretty much always. Also, I don't believe you can even get crit damage besides in Marks/Quints. Btw, if you're going to completely ignore getting mana regen from items and from runes, at least get the masteries in it! Can still get the 3% increase and the 3 mana per second if you go 21/0/9, or you could go 19/0/11 and get the full 9 regen while still keeping the crit chance+crit damage from masteries

@ Equos
Like the build, I've tried it before but I find its worth going even tankier than that... aegis adds another aura to him, Spirit Visage + Frozen heart maxes your cdr, and leviathan is a great item because your ult usually hits everyone in a team fight.

The thing that equos and my build does that regular GP doesnt is take advantage of his OP passive

420 Warrior

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-23-2010

Caifeng, take it 1 step further with the avarice blades! I am usually able to buy 3 by the 10 minute mark. this puts me at about 40% crit chance, and i basically poop gold. You can destroy anyone that hasn't bought armor items. Then boots, then i build my IE and PD.

When you have all 6 items its about 80% crit chance. This happens very quickly, since i am stacking 3 avarice blades i get 90 gold a minute just from sitting in base. Since my crit chance is so high 10 minutes in and since i am generating so much gold, i am free to run around and let my lane solo and just come in for ganks where i am needed. This works really well against healer oriented teams, since at this point in the game they are gonna be relying on their heals more than a teammate to save them from a gank. run in, start hitting them and parley. Ult big creep waves or save them for teamfights.

This build is really fun and doesn't require you to farm as much as you normally would.

Retsu Unohana

03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 420 Warrior View Post
Caifeng, take it 1 step further with the avarice blades! I am usually able to buy 3 by the 10 minute mark. this puts me at about 40% crit chance, and i basically poop gold. You can destroy anyone that hasn't bought armor items. Then boots, then i build my IE and PD.

When you have all 6 items its about 80% crit chance. This happens very quickly, since i am stacking 3 avarice blades i get 90 gold a minute just from sitting in base. Since my crit chance is so high 10 minutes in and since i am generating so much gold, i am free to run around and let my lane solo and just come in for ganks where i am needed. This works really well against healer oriented teams, since at this point in the game they are gonna be relying on their heals more than a teammate to save them from a gank. run in, start hitting them and parley. Ult big creep waves or save them for teamfights.

This build is really fun and doesn't require you to farm as much as you normally would.
What happens when someone nukes him to oblivion and or out damages you with that build?