Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Towers are generally too weak in this game.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

NullDragon

03-23-2010

Quote:
GuyGin:
Towers are much more dangerous in HoN, IMO, because they actually target heroes more frequently. In LOL you can walk right up next to the enemy hero if you have units there, and then burst them down and walk away because towers take forever to kill creep waves and the tower wont attack you until you hit the enemy hero.

In HON you would never get away with that at low levels.

...you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

In HoN, assuming YOU DO NOT ATTACK THE TOWER, you have to hit the enemy hero. With an autoattack. Spells do not count. Thus you can get burst down at your tower

Also going from HON to LoL and back, the towers already feel like they do much more damage in LoL. Most everyone can tank the towers lategame, in LoL tanking the towers to actually bring it down is a lot harder.

Yana

03-23-2010

For the most part, I disagree with the OP. Towers are there to provide a point of battle, and the fact that the enemy must strategise a way around it proves that they're effective. Usually tower diving is the fault of the defender for just assuming he's safe at the tower rather than planning ahead. TBH, if you're tower hugging, you're probably getting owned in the lane, and thus somewhat deserve to take a hit or two. Otherwise late game heroes could just AFK at the towe, come back when they're level 8 or so (admited iwth less gold), and then just own everyone.

Exception to this is invulnerability abilities, they seem a bit too common in this game and get quite lame.

GuyGin

03-24-2010

Quote:
NullDragon:
...you have absolutely no clue what you're talking about.

In HoN, assuming YOU DO NOT ATTACK THE TOWER, you have to hit the enemy hero. With an autoattack. Spells do not count. Thus you can get burst down at your tower

Also going from HON to LoL and back, the towers already feel like they do much more damage in LoL. Most everyone can tank the towers lategame, in LoL tanking the towers to actually bring it down is a lot harder.

Still, HoN towers will go through creep waves faster, and also HoN towers target the hero BEFORE he does damage to the enemy hero. In LoL the damage actually has to happen.

It makes a huge difference.

Also, tanking towers lategame is a joke in LoL. In HoN when people push towers it's usually with more than a couple people. In LoL towers get pushed by a single hero and get taken out at level 6. That NEVER happens in HoN.

And invulnerability abilities too common in LoL? You mean the only one in the game?

03-24-2010

Is this a joke thread?
Tower diving in DotA was a joke at level 3.
Tower diving in this game ALWAYS gets me killed.
Maybe I just suck. Probably.

GameShaman

03-24-2010

I'm completely against anything that makes the game longer. I'm not sure how long games were in DOTA or HON, as I did not play them, but they seem way too long in here. I can from an RTS background and you're only controlling 1 unit for 30+ minutes. Most RTS games you create and control 100+ units and micro manage your battles and most games are over in well under 30 minutes.

This game would be much more enjoyable if you could complete most games in 10-15 minutes. Maybe that means just speeding everything up.

Regardless, making towers harder to kill would turn these games into 1-2 hour marathons that would be extremely painful to play.

Szabster

03-24-2010

Is the OP serious? He died under his tower with 50hp and starts crying about the towers being not useful... I am totally sorry, it's not hon, it's not dota, it's LoL. We towerdive, we run far away even from our own towers when we have no hp because we know that our enemies will do anything just to kill us. I'm not a big towerdiver, I don't get killed under my tower too many times but I still think it's good the way it is right now. When you towerdive, you take the risk of getting stunned, taunted or snared. It does happen. And when it happens the predator becomes the prey. Oh, how many times I killed stupid ppl who thought "oh, he has almost no hp, I can kill him under his tower".

I like this game, go play HoN and screw that up if you don't like LoL.

GG Nakor

03-24-2010

I'd like to see towers doing damage based on % of the targets health.

Zezaru

Recruiter

03-24-2010

I some-what agree. The first tower is just fine the way it is, but as the towers get closer to the Nexus, they should become stronger and stronger. Basically, once the enemy is in the base, you automatically lose because the 2 towers can't keep up with the 3 waves of minions and 5 champions. The best way to fix this is increase the damage + attack speed + HP of the more "inner" turrets.

Rob36

Recruiter

03-24-2010

this game is much different than HoN or DoTA, which is why towers are going to respond differently. In either of them, you should virtually never be fighting near the enemy tower unless you choose to, because competent players can deny effectively, and there is much more overall benefit to last hitting (because very few items in dota give you bonus gold) and especially the aspect of denying.

The games obviously meant to be faster pace, hence the smaller map, lower level cap, etc. which is why towers go down faster, so that the entire game synergizes together in terms of it being faster paced than its counterparts.

Tieryal

03-24-2010

@OP If you are a victim of tower diving it is your own fault. I remember getting tower dived more often when I started because I didn't have a feel for how things work. Out of the last 50 games I've played I haven't been killed by a tower dive a single time, and often kill people who attempt it. There is plenty of time to B and get back to your tower without it losing much health at all.

I see no reason to change the way the towers work. Tower diving is a legitimate risk/reward. The game isn't broken. You just aren't good.

Towers getting stronger when pushing a nexus is an interesting idea and I thought about bringing it up a few weeks ago but really, games can go on for an hour and that would just prolong them. If your team was aced and you lose your entire base before you respawn you deserved to lose. Although you can be more reckless at level 18 because you most likely have a lot more survivability, dying from this recklessness is often much worse than dying early game and losing some levels because the respawn time is so long.

@GuyGin The phrase "tanking towers" means you are taking the damage from the tower. Towers can get pushed over by a single hero at level 6 but he is by no means tanking it, and in late game tanking towers isn't really a "joke". The inhibitor towers can be kept safe by a single carry from 4-5 champs if there are no minions around to take the damage from the tower. Also, why is there a single level 6 knocking over your tower, how the hell do you let that happen?