Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

A Not Comprehensive List of Advice for New Gamers

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

King of Nihility

03-23-2010

"A god like enemy is not as powerful as a pig like teammate." ----By CLY

So, after 8 times in a row of defeat (I know it's not a big deal), I decided to calm down and think about my bitter defeats. I can not claim my self as a pro, because I make noob mistakes and still leave the game like a jerk sometimes. However, being a typical player on the battlefield of LoL, it is always depressing when you see your teammates make mistakes that are unforgivable even as a noob. I know this Post may sound like me picking on others' mistakes while pretending like I m"good". But it IS NOT THE CASE. I also treat this post as a self examination, concluding my own fault as well as other people's. Hoping the next time my memory won't fail me and do a little better as a champion.

Alright let's start the list ( the following is the things you don't wanna do, but still common seen among a lot of players)

Soloing by yourself when all enemy champs are missing...(I hate those deaf who don't listen to teammate's mia warning and get meated every single time)

Soloing by yourself when all teammates are defending home...(same reason as above)

Whenever they lost life, they go home without telling anybody, making teammates think they are still there to help........or whenever they are not full health, they are afraid to help in ganking ( even though the chance of them dying is like 0%).

Run into bushes without second thought....(get ganked 90% the time if the enemy set you up for it)

Not clicking on the enemy to see if they have oracle and think they can't see you....duh...

forgot about the existence of enemy vision ward, and get killed why invi...(you should have known...)

Rush into towers for a kill and get owned.......(by that I mean repeatedly for 5-6 times, not those who made occasional mistakes)

Stay in lane with 5% hp thinking they are safe and tough......(they won't last a single second in that lane)

stay under tower with 5% hp thinking they are safe and tough....( towers aren't your mother, they don't make you invulnerable)

run after retreating enemy blindly.....( not a very serious mistake, because you never know if there is trap or not, but you get killed 100% if there is one)

doesn't know how to gank when you are lv 25+...( very frustrating, even though you can't blame anyone for not be good at something they didn't practice.......still....frustrating)

doesn't respond to lane calls...( when we need 5 people pushing together, you should respond...or at least tell us why if you don't want to move together)

Blaming others for not doing good..( find your own fault, and do it better next time, for example, I made all the above mistakes before except this one..)

Using bad language through "send all" channel....(shut up and we don't want to listen to your trash talk.....)

doesn't know which one to kill first when ganking....(aim at the freaking low hp champ plz, WTF are you doing attacking that full health Cho?)

doesn't know when to retreat....(admit it, there came a time when men must fall...but it is not this day!!!...........so GTF out)

That about it, hope we all think over our past games and do better next time (including me ^.^)

By the way: If any of you saw me online before, I have to admit I have a really bad occasionally lagging internet that further contribute to my problems, this may sound like an excuse, but oh well...may god forgive all lagging computers, amen.

King of Nihility

03-23-2010

there may be situations that are missing, if you wanna add more Not to do list or simply share experiences, please post, I d really like to read and improve.

CapnForc

03-23-2010

A number of these could be solved by simple communication and cooperation.

Some people think being solo in a lane is pushing, and it CAN be, if the rest of the team is aware and tries to bait and distract the enemy.
Same for sticking in a lane with 5% hp. I do it with tanks a lot, because I know I can take more damage than the enemy expects, and I can pull off a double kill with my lane mate.

It's all about communication.

King of Nihility

03-23-2010

The thing is, you know what exactly you are doing and I m sure u do communicate, what I m indicating here are those who had no idea what they are doing and making mistakes repeatedly, and not communicating (even use hard word when u try to talk to them sometimes)

NRue

03-23-2010

As another piece of advice, as a new player who has consistently gone up against a few teams of level 30's with my team having me as the runt :

If you're consistently getting set up against ridiculously high level teams, learn how to play a supporting role. You may not go godlike in high-end games, but when you grab a Zilean and understand when to Chrono Shift or Time Warp, you can really turn a game on its side by improving your higher leveled teammates.

As has already been said before -- ask, and learn. If you're consistently getting disparaging remarks from your teammates, then ask what the heck it is they want you to do. If you wind up getting demolished by your enemies, observe just what made it possible for them to do so so that you might move up even just a little closer to their level. In the end, even if you gain a tick mark in your loss column, a few losses mean nothing in the face of the long run -- gracefully learning from defeat brings you that much closer to future victory.

King of Nihility

03-23-2010

ty, I guess this is true for all Dota related games, everyone has a process

Eat dat chammich

03-23-2010

Quote:
King of Nihility:

stay under tower with 5% hp thinking they are safe and tough....( towers aren't your mother, they don't make you invulnerable)

Wait...your mother makes you invulnerable!?!?

Bmache

03-23-2010

Quote:
Eat dat chammich:

Well you do get certain antibodies from your mother's breastmilk...

EnderA

03-23-2010

Quote:
Eat dat chammich:

Wait... your mother doesn't make you invulnerable?!?

Seriously though, good post. Always encouraging to see a newbie learning. Makes up for all the ones that aren't.

Garborg

03-23-2010

One line of advice for new players:

Read your death reports; Icon center/top when you die. Learn what other champions do.