AP Teemo Build, Feedback Required

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

survient

03-23-2010

Ok I've recently picked teemo back up as a possible alternate to fill my roster and have been playing with potential builds. Recently I came up with a bizarre build that actually proved quite effective to my surprise. So I'll give a basic rundown of it, try it, and/or let me know what you think.

Start item, regrowth pendant

This starts for a somewhat weary beginning, you can harass for a bit however you still are very squishy so you have to watch your health. If you survive and get a good amount of last hits, you can probably rush your next item which is:

Giant's Belt

The reduced cost on this thing has been awesome, and grabbing this early is surprisingly effective. I used "move quickly" in replace of boots, and the health that this gives lets you go in to get many more kills than without it. Combined with regrowth you won't be unstoppable, but your enemies will find you much harder to kill.

Ruby Sapphire

This is just a minor addition, it gives you more survivability and will annoy anybody laning against you to see you with even more health, stacking onto this idea we get

Warmog's Armor

Now I know what you're thinking. Warmog's. On Teemo. Why. Well I grabbed this on a whim, thinking what the hell, and I cannot tell you how much this helps out in the different levels of gameplay. I'll explain more of the benefit as I list more items in the build.

Boots of Swiftness

This + Move Quickly = ..... well I think you can get the picture. If you have move speed quints this just gets even better. Due to teemo lacking a slow besides his ult, you'll find chasing to be annoying without this. If you have exhaust, then this only makes it easier to get within casting range of exhaust, and with warmog's you should be able to tower dive somewhat effectively if you play smart.

Blasting Rod

Finally. Some AP. I know it's a lot later in the build, and you're really lacking in the dmg department, but effective harassment should allow you a few kills if you play aggressively enough, and the equipment thus far should have ensured your survivability enough to do just that. Now you just need to stack 3 blasting rods to make...

Zhonya's Ring

I can't say much in the way of stasis, but I'm sure that a few can find effective times to use it. Usually with MQ and BOSw, I can get in an out of teamfights, 1v1, etc to not need to use this. However the +25% AP makes this ~156 AP, if you don't have any AP from masteries or runes. By the time you grab this your shrooms should be starting or already to hit like trucks, your poison darts will do a moderate amount of damage, and then you have your poison. At lvl 5 poison, you'll be doing 57.5 dot for 5 secs, which is 287.5 damage total. This isn't a huge amount, but the fact that it's no mana cost, and that it's on your auto attacks, plus it's only one shot needed, which means a lot of potential damage. Couple this with the fact that your move speed is insane, and you have a decent amount of tower diving ability, you should be able to take out most of your opponents without them getting far. At this point a typical 1 on 1 for me goes like this:

They initiate, starting to do some dmg to me, usually getting to about 1/5 of my health, if they're not fed. This is about when the poison really starts taking effect, and their health usually drops to about 60 - 40%. They start realizing that they're going to lose and run towards their tower for cover. I just chase normally(no move quickly) and once I'm out of their tower's range(take about 3 - 4 hits, now at about 60 - 75% health, activate it, and usually am able to finish them off, scurrying off into the jungle, placing a shroom which almost always is triggered by a chaser. I've even gotten double or triple kills this way by stacking shrooms near my point of escape beforehand. Obviously this isn't going to be the case against all champions, casters(especially ones like ryze) you have to play carefully, though usually they're squishy enough to die from poison and blind darts alone. Tanks are tanks, though they usually hit my shrooms more than anything else. Support usually doesn't give too much trouble, it depends on who you're facing. Physical dps will drop like flies unless they're fed or you make too many mistakes. Blind is devastating on them, and if they're foolish enough to chase you they risk the wrath of your shroom farms which, unlike physical dps teemo, aren't just annoying but life killing. Often they die from the shrooms alone before I even have a chance to finish them off. As for topper items I usually pick from:

Lich Bane: I like this for the passive but also for the move speed buff, extra movement speed is always good, and it procs with zhonya's +25% AP nicely.

Rylais Scepter: This is more if you're dying to have a slow, just pop this onto blind dart and you're good to go with a blind + slow. Also leaves you winding up with a monster amount of health(for teemo).

Void Staff/Abyssal Scepter you can grab if they stack some MR, Nashor's Tooth is also a good choice for attk speed AP and CDR, or if for some odd reason you really need mana just grab an Archangel's, though this item is limited by teemo's somewhat low mana pool.

Mejai's Soulstealer you could grab instead of Zhonya's, or grab even earlier, if you feel you can get the kills to make it worthwhile. My playstyle isn't aggressive enough to warrant one, but feel free to let me know how it works out.

Now I know some of you may be saying why not Frozen Mallet/Rylai's/Rod of Ages at first instead of Warmogs. I personally like Rod of Ages, but I prefer the health regen and insane health amount that warmogs gives. I've tried rod of ages, and in it's early state really prohibits you from tower diving too much. Frozen Mallet has no health regen, so even if you survive a gank, you'll have to recall to regain a decent enough amount of your HP to break even, warmogs lets me stay in a lane much longer. Rylai's isn't a bad choice, as it works towards the build, however it has the same problem as the previous items, and that it really doesn't gie you a lot of HP for your buck, whereas ROA/FM give a decent amount.

Overall I find it to be a "slow start" build, more relying on your skill than raw damage at first, but then builds into a monstrosity of a potential killing machine early-mid to late game. Trust me when I say that your shrooms will be very rewarding while you're on your way to building a zhonya's. I've gotten so many kills where my allies whittle a champ down to low HP, they try escaping from the jungle and die from shrooms alone, and the AP does make the difference despite the .8 AP ratio. Most ppl I've heard from say teemo is seriously UP, and I've also heard the opposite. Whichever may be the case I find this build extremely effective, but am still looking at possible changes. Thanks for reading.

suchocka

03-23-2010

Interesting build, I don't play a lot of Teemo so I can't say much on its effectiveness. However, when I see an AP Teemo or even an AD Teemo that has placed a lot of shrooms, I often buy oracles to nullify the shrooms. It may take 16 shroom kills to pay it back, but any death it helps me avoid makes it worth it. While AP Teemo hits hard with blinding dart and his dot, I feel like shrooms are a huge part of his build and they are easily countered by oracles.

Zombie Irwin

03-23-2010

Survivability is always nice but I think that going that long without upping damage at all might cripple you in team fights early to mid game.

YellowSnowsicle

03-23-2010

So your first big batch of gold contributes absolutely nothing to your team and doesn't play to teemo's strengths.

Hm....

FeLpZ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-23-2010

terrible, really.. if your going to play ap teemo your first priority is stacking cooldown reduc

Quote:
Originally Posted by suchocka View Post
Interesting build, I don't play a lot of Teemo so I can't say much on its effectiveness. However, when I see an AP Teemo or even an AD Teemo that has placed a lot of shrooms, I often buy oracles to nullify the shrooms. It may take 16 shroom kills to pay it back, but any death it helps me avoid makes it worth it. While AP Teemo hits hard with blinding dart and his dot, I feel like shrooms are a huge part of his build and they are easily countered by oracles.
it would actually take 40 mushrooms to make your money back, and if you go around ganking mushrooms, better believe ill get my team to gank your ass.

Rallos

03-23-2010

AD teemo makes a decent carry (hight attack speed) and a mediocre baiter/assassin with some map control with some anticarry.
AP Teemo is an insane baiter with amazing map control.

You should try
- Haunting Guise (1337)
- Boots
- Fiendish Codex (1245)
- Mercury or Sorcerers (1250)
- Rylai's (3105)
- Zhonya's Ring (3580)

Guise guives you everything you need early. (I find early Malady much better)
Boots for some harass & security (just in case quick feet isnt on)
Fiendish is some early AP and much needed regen & cooldown.
Rylai's will kick in for some much needed HP at this point.
Zhonya's for the extra push.

Remember poison is Magical dmg :-)

With 9/0/21 you'll have 29% Cooldown reduction.
Add some MPen and some CDR runes and you are ready.

Heal & Ghost beeing probably the best summoner spells.

The goal is to plant a gazillion shrooms, use ghost+quickfoot for Golem/Lizard/Dragon ganks.
You can take down or flee from any melee carry (Rylai + Poison Dart + Quickfoot)
Or bait any casters with Shrooms & Heal.

FeLpZ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-23-2010

I usually go

boots ---> sorc boots ---> mejai ---> codex ---> glacial shroud ---> void staff ---> whatever defensive item is best, with cooldown reduc talent it makes it about 34%, 6% less than cap, so its more than enough.

survient

03-23-2010

To the oracle's argument, let me put it this way. It takes a decent amount of time longer to kill a shroom than it does to just run over it and get it over with. Now I'm not saying to just run over them, but pointing out the time difference. If you're running through the jungle and killing every shroom you come across, by the time you're not even 1/4 of the way through the mess, I'll have caught up with you and started a 1v1. Shrooms are there for sight along with dmg, and oracle's doesn't save you from a shroom planted right next to you in a 1 v 1. Shrooms are only a part of this build, as in a 1 v 1 you're going to have serious trouble running or chasing a teemo with a 480+ movespeed. With a series of hit and runs, and the poison doing whittle damage on your health, you're going to fall much more quickly than you expect. That said,

I hear what you guys are saying, but honestly I went CDR priority on teemo before this build quite a few times, and believe me, it's pretty rough. The extra damage that you get for an extra dart or shroom placed is mitigated by your level of squishiness. Also poison is not affected by CDR, so you really only benefit damagewise for 2 skills, one of which you generally just use as it comes up(shrooms). Having a warmog's early means 1 v 1 will take longer to kill, and chases may take longer, but usually you'll come on top purely from having more HP than your opponent. Any of these builds which spam CDR in the beginning seriously lack the HP needed to survive, so you rely on carefully concocted ganks and/or teamfights. I also find that the CDR rushed builds rely on mushrooms much more than my build initially. mid - late game once zhonya's is done/near completion, then shrooms become a much larger part.

Warmog's does contribute to your team, in that your tank has to worry less about protecting you and more on your other glass cannons on your team. I cannot stress how effective I've found the survivability/move speed buff early game. With this build I can even 1 v 2 a double stun lane, as long as one of them isn't a tank. I highly recommend giving the build a try before giving it a final opinion, you may be surprised at the results. TBH, I may swap things around to get CDR earlier, but it's going to take some experimentation that still allows the build to thrive. Thanks for the replies thus far though