Trinity Force

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Vijaya

03-22-2010

I've been seeing this item a lot lately and, frankly, I don't get it. It does a little bit of everything, but I can't see that being the most viable options for a lot of champs. And, while the 130% bonus damage is nice, it's only bonus base damage and therefore champs with high enough AS would benefit more from straight damage.

At least, that's what I've been telling myself. But I've been seeing this item a lot, including on some really good players, so I have to think my views on it are wrong. Could someone explain why the Tri-Force is good and who I should look into using it on?

SkitZaY

03-22-2010

Some heroes find it viable, eg (imo) Udyr. Gains a slow, a attack buff with no CD (eg sheen, lichbane) for stance dancing etc.

KhaoticImp

03-22-2010

All the bonus' are really nice but the drawing point to TF is the Sheen proc. Characters that use on next hit abilities really benefit from this i.e. blitz, nidalee, nasus, Poppy, and TF. This buffs an already strong attack into something really scary. Or champions that can basically spam there abilities to take advantage of the 3 second CD on the proc. i.e. Ryze, Morde, and corki etc.
The Movement speed increase is also very nice.

HolyAvatar

03-22-2010

Also the item is very easy to build up and comes in very small part.
If you need a bit of everything, it's a very good item.

spreadfred

03-22-2010

the sheen->triforce build is good on champs who have spells that apply to their next auto attack- such as TF (PaC), blitz (powerfist), nasus (siphoning). all 3 are/can be phys dmg doers, and zeal and phage are good in those respects also.

Phi Trigger

03-22-2010

There are three main reasons why trinity force is a better buy than items which mathematically might seem to produce more damage / second.

First, let's dispel the notion that trinity "amplifies" powerful attacks. On the contrary, it does less for more powerful attacks than for lesser attacks, as the damage bonus adjustment is fixed 80% of base damage. So making the argument that it's good with large attacks is nonsensical, without more information on why such a bonus would be useful on a large attack.

Okay, so now why would it be good to tack on more damage to a large initial attack?

1. Spiking. If you can combine with an organized team, armed with spiking damage components, you can take the other team's damage dealer out of the battle directly, often before that person can react (especially if stunned). Taking a player out of the action makes inferior DPS a non-factor.

2. Chasing. When you chase, it's often not possible to attack at your maximum rate anyway. Therefore, it's most desirable to do as much damage as possible on the few and far between attacks that can be landed. Coincidentally, the trinity and sheen item's spike damage often cause players to run in shock at the initial damage in the first place, so these items play well into human tendency in a realistic situation.

3. Hit trading. Early in the game, especially in the time frame of when you would first get sheen, trading hits is an integral part of the game. Players hit and run alot more, because they lack the constitution to take minion hits long enough to fight a full battle, and it's safer. This reason in particular is why having trinity or at least sheen early is very potent and why players who buy items based on what they experienced to be good will often purchase a sheen or a trinity even on a champion that might seem to benefit much less from these items mathematically than other alternatives.