Official word on Backdooring

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

timbalt

03-24-2010

It's not an illegal play, but most people frown upon it as it is considered cheap.

Kilt

03-24-2010

I was in a situation where most of my team died in a failed push -- we had been losing pretty badly at this point, and the enemy team was beginning to push mid. I knew we'd lose if we let them bring down our inhibitor, so I waited til they reached our first tower, and popped my ult(TF). I teleported right into their base, and took out three towers, and two inhibitors before they noticed I was missing; winning the game for us.
So, the question is, was it cheap? I personally don't think so; If they were too absorbed in pushing mid to not notice five "Your inhibitor/tower has been destroyed" warnings, and not do anything about it, than that loss was their fault.

All in all, I think that unless someone states 'no backdooring', at the start of the match, it shouldn't be considered cheap. I mean it's a viable strategy for all players, and some characters seem designed to backdoor. Calling backdooring cheap is just another way to QQ, and blame other people your loss, instead of just manning up and admitting that you got out played.

Soupypoops

03-24-2010

Backdooring is a perfectly legitimate strategy, countered by another perfectly legitimate strategy called defending.

I generally play tanks and supports that aren't really good at backdooring a tower but I encourage my teammates to do it if the other team turtles up in early game and starts running together (frequent occurance). Teams already drop into their 5-man raiding party early enough as it is and adding rules or expectations to discourage "backdooring" only encourages that side of the game.

And tbqh even a 3v5 playing smart and hugging a tower can totally buy enough time for a Tristana/TF/whoever pusher to go take a chunk out of a tower or two. To be even more honest I think that any kind of stipulation that dictated the number of lanes a team can attack or the position of minions dictating would be bad for the game.

People being required to protect their base and be aware of the jungle areas at all times is kind of the point, I thought.

It is only cheap to the people that were not able to defend against it. To the person that was able to defend against it and got to gank TF waiting for him on top of an inner turret? Well that's just free money, and there's nothing cheap about that.

Saddler

03-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rezialn View Post
Don't make up artificial rules to play by. Play to win.

Hell yea brother Play to Freakin win.

KnaveOfHearts

03-24-2010

The whole point of this game is to destroy towers, inhibitors, and finally the nexus. Champion kills are just a side effect of trying to get to the enemy towers/inhibitors/nexus.

I enjoy going against roaming 5 man gank squads, they leave soooooo many towers undefended! Mmmm yummy towers..... :3