Official word on Backdooring

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

BEST ADC W0RLD

03-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by gun fu panda View Post
Never understood people whining about backdooring. It's probably the same crowd who thought it was a good idea to stand in lines and shoot at each other with rifles. If you commit all your resources to a team push, then you leave yourself open for someone to strike at your base. That's RTS 101.
Actually, it was a much better strategy to stand together and shoot each other due to the relative imprecision of the guns. The guns were not sophisticated enough to be aimed at a specific target. The objective of soldiers back the was to load and fire as rapidly as possible. The enemy is over there, just fire towards the masses. A trained soldier of the British army in the 18th century was expected to be able to fire the gun 4 times a minute. Also, don't forget that the objective was also to continue advancing towards the enemy. Most battles ended in hand-to-hand bayonet fights. Once machine guns came around, they said good bye to frontal battles and hello to trench warfare.

That being said, I think that backdooring is definitely a viable strategy because while you push one lane, you cripple your team to 5 v 4 circumstances.

Garborg

03-23-2010

Official two words:

Valid Tactic

Ponies Gonna Pwn

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

03-23-2010

Valid. If it wasn't, the game wouldn't let you. People who whine about it are just being little *****es.

tolore

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-23-2010

you could like, look at the map and realize your turrets are completely unguarded and you don't know where their last guy is?

skystream92

03-23-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkenDragon View Post
I just wanted to put my 2 cents in, the whole term of backdooring came from dota where a hero was able to sneak around the creep waves and attack the towers directly with their ally minons no where near, this was frowned upon because there was no way to defend the tower unless you buy a teleport scroll or rushed over there quickly and usually thats not possible. especially if your across the map or your inventory was full, but this was still allowed in high level compeitive play, since you are expected to be defensive and offensive.

also in dota there wasnt any scalling of the towers as the heros get better, in LoL the towers can be protected. 1. the tower will gain a stronger attack as it hits a champion, I think upto twice it's damage. and 2. there is a summoner spell thats available to every one regardless of what champion they have that makes all towers immune for a set amount of time and also increases it's attack speed, which could effectivly ruin any chance of a back door.

also if a champion is strong enough to take on a tower head on then the game is clearly near its end anyways and your just delaying the inevitable, the towers in LoL are no push overs, they are strong and takes a bit of effort to take them down, its not an easy feat to do.

This game is a team game, and if your gonna complain that you have to sacrafice a summoner spell just to get a skill that you dont even know you will need, then thats your own problem and shows your not much of a team player, your own personal kill score shouldnt matter much as long as the game is won.
FYI towers in dota now are far stronger and resistant to BDing than LoL towers.

h3w0

03-23-2010

There's nothing to stop bd'ing in LOL and its not against the rules. Play accordingly.

That said, I don't think its that cool when tf or panth can just tp and suicide a tower or inhib. When I'm playing those champs I do it too, but I don't think it really adds much to the game.

Clockmort

03-24-2010

Strategy in a RTS style game. It's your fault for being not map aware.

SleepThieff

03-24-2010

There's no such thing as "rules" or "bad manners" when it comes to competitive play. If your goal is to win, and if "back dooring" is a way to win, then that is a valid strategy. There is a reason Teleport and Fortify are in the game. If people choose not use them then that is their own decision.

Be aware of your opponents' ability to backdoor, and know the ways to stop it. buy vision wards. map awareness is key. have 1-2 teleports on the team. use fortify to buy you that few extra seconds to get your team to defend the tower.

Do not be close minded about back dooring. Close mindedness never promotes growth.

Play accordingly.

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

03-24-2010

Wow, I thought we were done with these.

Autobot, backdooring is officially supported. Towers have buffs that make it a little harder with no minions, but there's also a gold bonus for "backdooring" in the traditional sense.

Some players frown upon the activity and give you grief about it, but it is by all means a valid tactic.

Sinistral

03-24-2010

What's the official word on backdooring? That you don't like it?

Riot has stated time and again that it's a valid, legitimate tactic. Don't underestimate the power of having 2x Fort in a team.

It doesn't really matter what YOU think qualifies as backdooring or not. Your arguements are invalid. It's allowed. End of discussion.

(The people who imo, cry about it, are the people who lost a game that they feel they should have won, because they were backdoored. Once again, just because YOU don't like it, doesn't mean it's not allowed).