Karthus Build Suggestions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

techvoodoo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-22-2010

I'm looking for some suggestions on how you would build Karthus. Normally I do something along the lines of:

Sorc Shoes
Archangles Staff
Mejai's Soulstealer
Void Staff
Rylais Scepter
Zhonyas

Often I don't get Rylai's done and rarely get to Zhonyas. What anyone recommend just sticking to this build list or changing things out for other items?

Thanks.

Microscope

03-22-2010

Kinda a bad setup IMO.
That's a really weird way to start out Karthus....Sorc shoes o.o.

This is my setup;

Rod of Ages (the sooner you get it, the better you will play; since it adds the stats it gives per MINUTE, its best to have it early on so you will have higher stats than the rest of your enemy champions early on, giving you an adv. in tank + kills)
Sorc Shoes (For magic pen.)
Void Staff (You need the 40% bonus from this)
Mejai's Soulstealer (For the bonus ap per kill/assist, this is good to get LATER ON when you have your AP at a high value, because then when you use requiem you will randomly get kills & this will stack heavily later on in the game, but not so much @ beginning so its better to get something like Void Staff that gives a massive amount of AP)

SkitZaY

03-22-2010

If you're going to get ArchAngels, get it later and start with tear of goddess.

I'd suggest first building tear, boots 1, mejais, sorc shoes / merc treads (dependant on who you're vsing), Ryalis

From there, it's dependant. If they aren't stacking magic resist, go Zhonyas. if they're consistently DPSing you, get frozen armor.
If magic resists IS an issue, get void staff and / or abyssal scepter.

But then again, I play a highly aggressive defile karthus.

techvoodoo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-22-2010

that isn't the order, i get the mana regen item first i was just listing the items.

Roflcoptr

FeLpZ

03-23-2010

stack bf swords.

hit r whenever someones low on health.

win.

greenferret

03-23-2010

Since the patch, Zhonyas is so awesome for Karthus. You can go in the mid of the enemies, hit E and then go into stasis, doing DMG wihtout being focussed.

Therefore my typical Build is something like this:
1) Dorans Ring
2) Sorcerer Boots or Mejais, depending on first impressions of game
3) Sorcerer Boots or Mejais depending on what I got first
4) Zhonyas (Yes, that early! )
5) Void Staff
6) Rylais
if the game is still going: Sell Dorans, get some life or mana stuff or something...

Of course with this build you are pretty squishy because of lack of HP, I can understand when people for that reason get Rod of Ages first, but I just find the new Zhonyas so beneficial that I don't want to wait until late late game to get it.
It's personal preferance.

Ofc it's alwasy a bit enemy dependant, you might wanna get veil if many casters or a blitz is in the team, sunfire cape can even have its uses, frostshard if you want to go for cooldown (which i personally never do)

treegun

03-23-2010

dorans ring+health pot
Meji
Sorc boots
RoA
voidstaff/abyssal
rylais
zhonyas

peyo

03-23-2010

get Soulstealer asap and go mid... Karthus can have 20 stacks even without going out of spawn

just call me evo

03-23-2010

karthus is my most confident character at this point (yes, beyond alistar!). I play a defile karthus as well, and I build around RoA and Mejais:

0.) sapphire crystal + health pots
1.) catalyst (i stick with cat for a little while, i hate to give up the regen)
2.) mejais + lvl 1 boots
3.) RoA
4.) sorc boots
5.) void staff, or abyssal scepter, depending on mood.

I'm currently writing a guide to better illustrate playing strategies, but I find the best way to use Karthus's ult ISN'T clean up duty. If you like maxing mejais, which I DO, then I'd rather pop it as soon as I see my teammates start to engage, in either lane (I tend to mid), so that I pick up an assist or two, without running the risk of it firing too late, or having them pop a heal that stops it. Additionally, your teammates will appreciate that you dont KS them. Similarly, in teamfights, I pop my ult about halfway through, maybe getting kills, but also increasing my chances for assists.

Of course I play clean up when the opportunity presents itself, but I look to accomplish the maximum team benefit.

as always, friend me if you'd like to talk more about this