Leviathan or Heart of Gold?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-22-2010

On a Tank which would you rather rush?

Discuss?

Personally:
I am currently rushing Leviathan when playing a tank as my first item, but the more I think about it, Heart of Gold seems like the better starting item for the price. I am a bit torn because Levi at 20 is amazing, I am just not sure it is as valuable to have right from the start, as the 800 gold offset from the start for no added benefit can be a huge crutch specially on a tank that may not get as much farm as other champions.

EasymodeX

03-22-2010

Get one other small item first for sustained capability (Doran's, Meki, mana crystal, etc), then Leviathan is fine if you can get assists competently without dying. If you can't, then you should pick up something else that will improve your combat capability immediately, like a Catalyst or Aegis.

Edit: One thing people forget about the snowball items -- you don't have to get them "right away" to make the most use of them. And in particular, you shouldn't if you do not have the capability to use your character with just the snowball item alone. Some tanks may require other items to kick off their game -- then don't get Levi as item #1. Get it as #2. The game will go on.

Some tanks, Cho'Gath for example, are effective at farming (less use for the HoG), and have effect without any particular starting item (just need a bit of mana regen). Good Leviathan candidate.

Other tanks that farm poorly (Alistar?) would be better off with another item track, such as <insert mana solution> so he can wreck stuff. Some tanks make particular use of the armor on a HoG (Malph, Rammus in a way), so would lean towards that.

In any event, any tank that plans on surviving a fight would make use of a Leviathan by midgame. One team fight can net up to 10 charges of Levi. Even if you die, you're still +7 or so on stacks. If you have a mere skirmish and only assist on 2, you're up 4 stacks. It's rather effective in that sense.

nicosharp

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-22-2010

I can get by just fine without a doran's item/mana regen/hp regen, and a ruby Cystal as Gragas. Due to his passive and mastery spec, but it is true that getting a Doran's, etc. at level 1 provides less overall lane risk.

roninsm

03-22-2010

I get neither.

wildfire393

03-22-2010

I like starting with a Ruby Crystal on Blitz, especially if I'm laning with a champion who has damage output + a heal (Ezreal, Nidalee, etc). What I turn it into though varies based on team composition and how the first few minutes in lane go. In general:

If we have more than two kills above deaths in our lane early, I grab Leviathan. Too often the enemy will keep coming back to lane, despite being vastly underleveled, and end up getting killed again.
If we have more than two deaths above kills in our lane early, I grab a Heart of Gold. This insures that I will have some income and not a wasted slot (on a Leviathan that isn't getting enough stacks)
If we're about even on kills/deaths, the item depends on what role I'm filling for the team. As a tank/support, I pick up Aegis. As DPS, I pick up Phage. As Mage (or as a tank against a nuke-heavy enemy team), I pick up catalyst.

Thenadathor

03-22-2010

If you run a support tank (soraka for example) Leviathan could be a better choice. Leviathan is a great suit for heroes that DONT want to get kills. If every leviathan stack is gained through assists, that means more kills for your item dependant carries.

Rallos

03-22-2010

As crazy as it might seems, i love HoG on Chogath.

I find it synergises Greatly with his "selfheal" and thats its a very "team oriented" item.

Get a Health Crystal.
Upgrade to HoG ASAP (975G)
Get Meki Pendant.
Upgrade to Chalice ASAP (890G)
Get Boots (350G)
Make Aegis (1925)
Upgrade to Mercury (850G)

Total : 4990G for 570hp & 50 armor & 89 Magic & Infinite Mana & 2 Movement.

Nothing crazy but a "decent tank". Sometimes i even try a 2nd HoG.
As a tank & initiator your role is to run in then survive just long enough to cast your 2-3-4 spells.
Staying alive longer is kinda useless, since you will be ignored anyway.

Actually i think that tanks that can farm should rush +gold items.
Why ? To help you lanemates.

A Chogath with 2 HoG doesnt need to focus on farming he's already GREAT at it + gets free gold.
With 6000G you already have a great "core built", no need to try and farm 10K or 14K.

So now you can help your lane partner to get last kills while focusing on harassing.
Or even better leave him the entire lane (Ryze, Veigar, Annie).

Yes a 10K Chogath is way better than a 6K still, but tanks scale very poorly.

6K Chogath + 10K Annie >>>>> 10K Chogath & 6K Annie.

Ps : I havent tested the new leviathan...

spreadfred

03-22-2010

i never get either, but i think i might try getting heart of gold on occasion, since i sometimes have trouble farming (particularly early game).
i never get leviathan, because if you are a good tank, you will die fairly often (due to the entire team focusing you), thus making a snowball item less effective.

Militiades

Friend of Urf

03-22-2010

Heart of Gold all the way. I dont like entrusting my fate to snowballing items, and most especially as a tank where your team can be cleaning up but you can have poor K/D ratio. Heart of Gold is also a nice chunk of hp for a low price, with armor and additional gold to boot. And lets face it, i am greedy, i live for loot, so anything that provides me with loot every few seconds is welcome.