I don't know how to weight games

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Die Nacht

05-28-2011

I've been getting some people with 10+ games where they do really, REALLY bad stuff in 1-2 games and get reported by EVERYONE in the game, but the other 8+ games are minor offenses with only one person reporting.

How do I weigh it? The 1-2 games were really bad (bought nothing but 5 boots and feed intentionally) yet all the other games were just noobness.

Eilos

05-28-2011

He ruined the game for 9 other people twice. Punish him.

Remember that Punish does not mean "permaban," it just means that something should be done.

KamaitachiTrey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Huntsman

05-28-2011

Remember what the FAQ says - First punishments are generally warnings - so if they know they screwed up in 2 out of 10 games, they can go ahead and correct the behavior and likely won't receive a ban.

However, those that have 10 games of intentionally feeding, vulgar language, etc, are likely the ones who probably will not receive that kindly warning.

Not to mention if you were in one of the 2 games that he totally ruined for you, wouldn't you want some action taken? But that's just my feelings on the matter...

-Trey
P.S. I essentially agree with what Eilos said above.

Foxley

05-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Die Nacht View Post
I've been getting some people with 10+ games where they do really, REALLY bad stuff in 1-2 games and get reported by EVERYONE in the game, but the other 8+ games are minor offenses with only one person reporting.

How do I weigh it? The 1-2 games were really bad (bought nothing but 5 boots and feed intentionally) yet all the other games were just noobness.
I pardon those, and in fact I only punish ones where someone is consistently just being a total negative nancy piss-sprinkler in every single game.

You have to understand that if everyone chooses punish on every case, then someone might get permabanned for being the occasional ******bag, which isn't really the aim. The people that need to be gotten rid of are ones who are almost constantly ruining games.

Even if you're risking not getting a tiny amount of IP, choosing pardon is often a better choice for minor/occasional offenders. They're probably going to get an e-mailed or ingame warning either way, and might just stop.

Or you could always skip.

KamaitachiTrey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Huntsman

05-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwrf View Post
I pardon those, and in fact I only punish ones where someone is consistently just being a total negative nancy piss-sprinkler in every single game.

You have to understand that if everyone chooses punish on every case, then someone might get permabanned for being the occasional ******bag, which isn't really the aim. The people that need to be gotten rid of are ones who are almost constantly ruining games.

Even if you're risking not getting a tiny amount of IP, choosing pardon is often a better choice for minor/occasional offenders. They're probably going to get an e-mailed or ingame warning either way, and might just stop.

Or you could always skip.
While my opinion differs, I do agree skipping is a valuable option, particularly if you're unsure or 50/50.

However, my different opinion stands because if you were in one of those 2 games, you'd be upset if everyone pardoned them and they just came on a week later only to be reinforced to do it again because they said "Hey I was let off! I can push the envelope!"

The reason I would punish for those two really horrible games is because a Punishment CAN be a warning - and in most first-cases - is a warning. In that case, they receive an e-mail stating they shouldn't be as offensive, etc, and then they just say "Ahh, okay, so I won't blow up anymore, that's fine." and go on playing like normal.

There really isn't a reason to pardon someone for 1 game, let alone 2 games where they ruined everyone else experiences - especially if the punishment is likely going to be a slap on the wrist warning that only serves as a reminder to obey the Summoners Code.

-Trey
P.S. As I said above, this is my opinion - this is simply what I believe.

Foxley

05-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by WerewolfTrey View Post
While my opinion differs, I do agree skipping is a valuable option, particularly if you're unsure or 50/50.

However, my different opinion stands because if you were in one of those 2 games, you'd be upset if everyone pardoned them and they just came on a week later only to be reinforced to do it again because they said "Hey I was let off! I can push the envelope!"

The reason I would punish for those two really horrible games is because a Punishment CAN be a warning - and in most first-cases - is a warning. In that case, they receive an e-mail stating they shouldn't be as offensive, etc, and then they just say "Ahh, okay, so I won't blow up anymore, that's fine." and go on playing like normal.

There really isn't a reason to pardon someone for 1 game, let alone 2 games where they ruined everyone else experiences - especially if the punishment is likely going to be a slap on the wrist warning that only serves as a reminder to obey the Summoners Code.

-Trey
P.S. As I said above, this is my opinion - this is simply what I believe.
I guess I'm a little unclear on exactly how the warning and punishment system works. I would think that even making it onto the Tribunal would be the equivalent of being "on file" so that if someone were to continue ruining games even after they were pardoned then they would probably be considered for punishment more strongly than a first time offender.

I've seen some screenshots of people already being permabanned instantly without warning, and while there's a good chance they probably deserved it, it's food for thought: consider that choosing punish MIGHT contribute to getting someone permabanned instantly, so keep that in mind before voting. If someone is a total scumbag, then sure, vote to punish.

Die Nacht

05-28-2011

No, Pardon means that they did nothing wrong and that the people reporting are just angry. people who are pardon are usually people who make noob mistakes too often.

KamaitachiTrey

Huntsman

05-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rwrf View Post
I guess I'm a little unclear on exactly how the warning and punishment system works. I would think that even making it onto the Tribunal would be the equivalent of being "on file" so that if someone were to continue ruining games even after they were pardoned then they would probably be considered for punishment more strongly than a first time offender.

I've seen some screenshots of people already being permabanned instantly without warning, and while there's a good chance they probably deserved it, it's food for thought: consider that choosing punish MIGHT contribute to getting someone permabanned instantly, so keep that in mind before voting. If someone is a total scumbag, then sure, vote to punish.
I think again that is where we differ though. If someone is permabanned after being reported, likely they've already been reported before, been given their warning, and continue to break the rules and make game-life miserable for others.

If we try to decide each case on what "may happen" instead of what they did (whether it was 2 games out of 10 or 8 games out of 10) - an extreme equivalent would be a jury going into court and saying "Even though he assaulted that man/woman/child, he would end up going to jail for life if we punished him, so lets not."

While an extreme example, the mindset is the same, and there's a serious flaw with that thinking - and as Riot already checks-and-balances the punishments, I believe I can trust their judgment on what type of punishment (or warning) is befitting that particular player. If they see he has been voted to be punished in 3 seperate occasions, and they gave him 3 warnings, and he continues doing it - perhaps they go ahead and ban him for a short amount of time - perhaps he comes back on the game after his ban is up, and he does it again - he's obviously not learning, and obviously intending on ruining the gameplay experience, so he deserves a permaban.

-Trey