[GUIDE] Shaco, Making a Difference

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Holypope

03-22-2010

Things that can be accomplished with Shaco:

Anti-jungle:

Shaco can quickly shut down any jungler with well-placed jitbs. Golum buff? no... Warwick can't get that anymore. Warwick got cut to shreds by Jitbs in the bushes while Shaco pushed the adjecent lane... twice.

Anti-gank:

a good shaco will note when he or his teammates are suseptible to ganks. He'll lay down jitbs along an escape path or two, providing both visibility and a safe retreat for that inevitable gank.

Anti-5 Man:

A good Shaco might be okay in some group fights, but he's way better at keeping them from happening. If he's pushing lanes solo while the rest of the team defends, the opposition will have to send off 1-3 members to deal with him. This will almost always land Shaco a free kill if a defender comes solo. Force the enemy to chase you around the lanes and jungle 2-3 members at a time, costing them the ability to teamfight while denying them the xp and gold of catching you via good jitb placements.

Tower Smasher

Depending on his build, Shaco is okay to devastating at taking out towers. If he grabs a tiamat, he'll move lanes really fast, too.

Q: What's a character that can't be ganked, can solo push, can win most 1v1's, and can wipe out towers?

A: Scary as s**t, that's Shaco.

The cool thing about building a Shaco is that he's pretty customizable. Unlike most other DPS champions that must either choose AP, Damage, or Durability, Shaco can go hybrid or specialize to deal with the team in the best way possible. No matter what you get, you'll be helping all of your abilities.

That said, here's the items I consider most important:

Majah's Soulstealer
Sword of the Occult
Tiamat
Bloodthirster
Nashor's Tooth

Why:

If you're playing safely, you won't die very often, so the two growing items are both stunning deals. Get one or both.

Shaco isn't a fast pusher... unless he has a tiamat. This seemingly underpowered item will change the way the enemy team has to deal with your solo pushing. It'll also provide you with that bit of mana regen you need to keep dropping jitbs every time their cooldown is up.

Bloodthirster will dramatically boost your fear factor. Now you can hit harder, stay alive longer, escape with 10% health, jungle for 10 seconds, and come back in fully refreshed.

Nashor's Tooth gives you that epic cooldown reduction that will have you throwing shiv's every 4.5 seconds or so... which really hurts when they land for 600 damage...

What to do:

There are two tricks to being a good Shaco:

1.) Learn how not to die. THIS IS THE MOST IMPORTANT LESSON.

2.) Learn how to force the enemy team to pay attention to you. (this part makes lesson #1 a lot harder)

The trick to not dieing lies in your jitbs. You need to use these to map out escape routes. with 3-4 well placed jitbs, or even sometimes just 2, you can usually escape all but the most epic of ganks. If you're pushing a lane, put them behind you. drop 1-2 in the nearby jungle. Make sure your gankers/pursuers run into them by fleeing through them and placing them in likely gank wait spots. If you're being chased, throw a shiv every time you think you can get away with it. Not many characters can take much shiv harassment without either dying or giving up the chase.

Getting noticed is a little harder. Assuming your team is about even with the enemy, they're going to be pretty pissed at you for skipping the team fights. It's this early stage where you have to show both your team and theirs that you belong off on your own. The trick here seems to be tiamate. You can push a lane really fast with one, and the damage/mana regen are both good stats. When you hit a tower, use your ult and throw down a jitb as soon as the enemy minions are dead. Both will attack the tower with ferocity.

If the enemy 5-man ignores you, they'll wish they didn't, as in all likelihood, you'll take 2 towers to their every 1. If they send up one player to deal with you, there's a good chance that they won't be able to stop you AND suddenly the team fight elsewhere is even. More likely, they'll try to gank you and send 2-3 players after you. This is ideal, as you'll be able to escape and now your team has a numerical advantage for pushing... and often enough you'll be able to lead the chase into a counter-gank. If 4-5 players go MIA, it's probably best to get the heck out of sight and probably blue-pill. No amount of jitbs will save you from a 5 man gank.

About Items:

Shaco guides are split into AP/Damage. Really, there's no need to specialize. They both stack with each other. I like maxing shiv->jitb-> deceive. If you're in earlier brackets, jitbs will work better 1st but eventually your opponents won't fall for nest traps. It's at this point in your shaco career that shiv suddenly becomes awesome. The cool thing about shiv is that its damage is based on both damage and AP. Either stat will boost it. Personally I like building AP best, as I find i adopt a playstyle that leads to fewer melee deaths. Take your pick. They both work.

Conclusions:

1.) Don't Die.

2.) Tiamat is your friend (for once)

3.) Use jitbs as much as possible, and don't waste them on minions.

4.) Demonstrate to your team and the enemy that Shaco really doesn't belong in the team fight.

------------------

I'm currently floating in the +40s range on wins, not sure what that makes my ELO, but this strat is cleaning house. After a number of losses spent learning how to play shaco, I've really come out strong with these techniques. He takes some time to learn, but a well played Shaco is a real game-changer. He's a strange carry that doesn't need to be carried.

Business

03-22-2010

Some items that you didn't mention that I feel are very strong on shaco -

Elixir of Fortitude - helps massively early game as he is low HP, also +20 dmg to decieve means big crits, and with a lizard buff, it is very easy to get kills.

Sheen - An item that gives both mana and some minor ability power, as well as the damage increase for some big decieve crits once again.

Brutalizer - cooldown reduction is very good on shaco, and armor pen also helps a lot for decieve and overall damage.

Holypope

03-22-2010

All 3 of those are def solid items. The fort potion is a gamble that i'd not waste on players reading guides... it's awesome, but only when you can land enough extra kills to make it a safe bet.
Sheen and brutalizer are both nice, but i'd much rather go with 1/2 of nashor's tooth and one of the snowball items as they generate better returns. With deceive not hitting as hard as it used to in older patches, much of sheen's former glory isn't quite as shiny.

BlackCat9001

03-22-2010

I'm by no means a Shaco player, but I play with a very good Shaco regularly as Morgana. We make an absolutely devastating team. He grabs Ignite and Exhaust, I grab Ignite and Flash. He starts with a Red Flask + Potions, I start with a Mana Manipulator. He has a ton of crit damage runes. We wreck our lane as this setup, yesterday we ganked them at the start and then once again when minions spawned, and we killed their tower 5 minutes in.

I just find that Shaco and Morgana really complement each other well. The only lane combo that really gave us a lot of trouble was Mundo + Annie. We even counter Soraka + Poppy.

He gets a SotO and I get a Leviathan, and as soon as he gets 10 kills and I get 10 assists from that we are basically invincible. As Morgana I get Leviathan, Boots of Swiftness, Soul Shroud, Aegis of the Legion, Rylai's Crystal Scepter, and the Guardian Angel.

I usually have ~ 4.5 k HP by the time I'm building Rylai's, and I can tank turrets pretty easily and have him kill them. When he uses his ult, I only take 1/4 of my health in damage from the tower before it's dead (from full health).

I dunno, you should try it sometime. Shaco and Morgana is a really great combination.

Fragglerock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-22-2010

Only played 2 practice games like this so far, but I have a few comments.

Snowball items: The theory is that if you get it early, and get stacks, you have free money. Sound theory, but it costs 1300ish to build, and doesn't even pay itself off until 10 stacks. So essentially you are WEAKER until the 10th stack. This might not be very noticable, however when you get 2 of these items early game its VERY obvious how weak you are early game... which should be Shaco's biggest advantage as a ganker. Personally this has made me interested in trying some non-snowball shaco and see how it does for me.

Tiamat: This is really the part that interested me. I've always hated his lane pushing/farming ability. Well, my other main is Sivir so its a big change. However I asked about this on the forum (tower pushing) and someone said if I can't BD a tower with my clone late game, I'm doing something wrong. Well, as AP I can't, but perhaps with some attack speed mixed in I could. So essentially, BDing ability bypasses the need for Tiamat to push (worked very well for pushing btw) and instead lets you focus on your AP dmg. I'm thinking the perfect item MIGHT be Nashor's tooth for AP shaco - a recommended item in-game, actually. I was thinking Wits End perhaps because with a clone its some serious dmg and disables anyone neeeding mana very quickly. Maybe both? The reason being that AP gives bonus to tower damage, but the problem with shaco is a straight AP build has no attack speed so towers still die too slowly.

Might be interesting... no snowball with nashor/wits?

Sunaka

03-22-2010

I tend to assassinate the carries as shaco in team fights. Not participating in them will cause your team to lose a 5v4, and for them to ignore you while they carve your inhibitors / last 2 towers.

Fragglerock

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sunaka View Post
I tend to assassinate the carries as shaco in team fights. Not participating in them will cause your team to lose a 5v4, and for them to ignore you while they carve your inhibitors / last 2 towers.

Thats a fairly blanket statement. So in your eyes is EVERY carry worthless? What do you play that 'assassinates' carries...a carry? Do you also realize that killing towers wins games, not killing heros? 4 people that aren't far outmatched can easily defend at the last tower given the distance from spawn, visibility advantage, and inability for you to come up behind them. Hell, 2 or 3 can often defend that. Meaning while their 5 are mid, you can have 2 other people each pushing a lane and I guarantee you, unless the opponent is ******ed, at least 2 will break off to stop the push then giving you a 3v3 defensive advantage.

The only time you need all 5 to defend is if their team is already so much stronger that you are in danger of being steamrolled. In which case pushing a tower is still almost the surest way to get them to give up the push.

Also, AD shaco is the type that needs to be in melee range and risks dying very quickly. AD also uses his primary escape mechanism for burst damage (deceive). Which is why I believe AP is better.