How I see the tribunal in its current state

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Recom

05-28-2011

Since the tribunal opened its gates, I have been reviewing the 3 (now 10) cases every day.

At first it felt like justice and I was thinking "finally those trolls/leavers/feeders will be punished for their bad behavior" and to be honest, I enjoyed this idea.

10 minutes ago, after judging the last case available today, I began feeling guilty but I couldn't find why... and then I understood, I understood that, in fact, I didn't know who I was judging, I didn't how they really behave and I asked myself : do they usually troll/leave/feed, or was it just a bad day ? And worst, I didn't know what kind of punishment I was voting for : a warning ? a few days ban ? a permanent ban ?

I am aware that NO verbal abuse, trolling, afking... is allowed by the summoner code, but men aren't perfect and I believe they deserve a second chance (after being proven guilty once).

I'm now making this post to ask Riot to make a bunch a tweaks that will make the tribunal truly just (because the chat history really isn't enough).

First, I believe there should be a recap about the player including :
- the total number of games played (Ranked and Normal)
- the total number of games reported and the total number of reports
- the global stats for all games played (with global kills/deaths/assists)

This would help summoners have a better image of how the player usually behave.

Second, I believe we should know :
- the team composition (champions, summoner spells and K/D/A)
- the karma of teammates (have they been warned/banned/reported ?)
- were the player"s teammates friends/premade ?

This would help summoners understand about the context (has the player been pushed by his teammates ? Were the reports fake ?).
I actually just reviewed a case were a guy played with a premade of 4 spanish guys, constantly speaking in spanish, trolling him and finally they all reported him...

And finally there should be some insight on the punishment itself, we actually have NO idea what it will be and without the proper charges there can be no good decision.

This is how I see things, feel free to add your ideas/comments, but the intent is to give Riot a feedback not to begin a trollfest.

PS : As you might notice, English is not my native language, if you can't understand my words please tell me and I will try to explain it in an other way.

Edit : I just read a great suggestion : it would be great if disconnections and reconnections were also added to the chat (with a distinction between intentional leave and internet disconnection if possible).

Medievia

05-28-2011

Not sure why any of your suggestions are necessary.

People's actions usually speak for themselves. In most of the cases I have reviewed, the person acted in exactly the same way each time. They may have been reported for something different, but their actions were excatly the same, same language, same flaming remarks, even the same swear combinations.

They already give you the date of the games, so you can tell how close together each of the violations were . . . what more do you need to understand if this person's actions violated the Summoner Code . . . since that's all we are supposed to be doing. Did the players actions violate the Summoner Code?

Recom

05-28-2011

You are right, most of the time (15 on the 16 cases I reviewed) the chat history is enough.
But there are rare situations were the informations i asked in my OP would help.

To give you the (for now only) example : I reviewed a case where the player got reported in 10 different games for different reasons. In the first game a guy in his team insulted about him being french and he replied, so he got reported.
In the second game, he got reported for intentional feeding with "not so bad" stats (something like 5/7/X) while he was asking for help.
In an other game he was reporting for verbal abuse while he kept saying "omg" and nothing worst.

This kind of example makes me wonder about the context, maybe it is a lot of work for a very little outcome but I believe it is necessary.

Medievia

05-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Recom View Post
You are right, most of the time (15 on the 16 cases I reviewed) the chat history is enough.
But there are rare situations were the informations i asked in my OP would help.

To give you the (for now only) example : I reviewed a case where the player got reported in 10 different games for different reasons. In the first game a guy in his team insulted about him being french and he replied, so he got reported.
In the second game, he got reported for intentional feeding with "not so bad" stats (something like 5/7/X) while he was asking for help.
In an other game he was reporting for verbal abuse while he kept saying "omg" and nothing worst.

This kind of example makes me wonder about the context, maybe it is a lot of work for a very little outcome but I believe it is necessary.
I wouldn't punish a person for the violations you listed above, if those were the only violations.

Context isnt really that important. If someone said something rude: "You should uninstall!" for example, but the accused person responded with a racially charged hateful attack. That is the violation of the Summoner Code, I don't care what caused him to act in an unacceptable way, I am only deciding whether or not he did.

Recom

05-28-2011

Yes, our task is to judge wether or not the summoner's code was respected but I do believe taking the context in account for the sentence makes the difference between justice and blindly applying the law (I'm not saying you are).

Maybe we should have more choices in our judgement like :
- punish with aggravating circumstances
- punish
- punish with extenuating circumstance (i don't know the proper word here, sorry) - more like a warning
- pardon

The Diplominator

05-28-2011

I like the idea of having more information and having a tiered system of how much punishment the judges believe is necessary (as a suggestive purpose to Riot only, not the actual powers), but your feeling of guilt is unwarranted. The case you described sounds like an easy pardon, and basically every case I've come across was a no-brainer punish. I have yet to come across a case that was even remotely borderline, and if I do, I'll be sure to skip it, like they ask us to do.