Tribunal suggestion thread - IP reward

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jesodoth

05-28-2011

Hello everyone!

Just wanted to start off by saying that this thread is intended to merely make suggestions about the Tribunal, and, more specifically, suggestions about the rewards given out by Riot to us the players for judging cases correctly.

After doing my 10 cases today, it dawned on me, that this case work, if done properly is going to be a pretty hefty time sink. I started this morning with my cases, and each one takes at least 4-5 minutes low-ball(I want to say off the top of my head). This includes reading the entire chat log, checking scores, items, and then going through the persons other games, till I can basically tell that the person is deserving of punishment, or if they were just having a bad game, or if they were just responding to trolls and acting in kind. What ever the outcome might be, time is invested. Now, multiply the time it takes to complete a case by 10, and that's roughly the time it's taking me right now, when the case number gets even higher(30), the time invested will go up exponentially.

So, I thought to myself, a lot of people, who might be interested in this, probably won't be able to do their full work load every day, or, a lot of people will quickly lose interest, as the novelty of being a Tribunal member wears off. To stem the decay of tribunal members, and to keep people interested, I believe there should be other benefits of rewards.

Now, understand that if Riot decided before hand that no reward would be given out, (no IP), to players for judging cases, that some people, being the good troopers that they are, would still be doing the case work, and, I'm looking for reward suggestions that aren't tangible, that is, to say, they aren't spendable or aren't content related. It's my opinion, that if people would still do the work without any glimmer of reward for their work, hypothetically, then what would be a good token of appreciation for them?

please, do not make any suggestions about the IP given out, be it increased or changed in any way. Also, please do not suggest that we be given player skins, or RP.

Examples of suggestions that I am looking for:

- Unique icons for the forum Tribunal members, unlocked by cases solved.

- A case ticker under our name, stating the number of correct cases. This could be a sort of badge of honor, something like our matches won, or rating.

These two suggestions would only really apply to people who are active on the forums, so, unique and creative suggestions would be appreciated.

Finnigan

05-28-2011

They should give IP because we're doing their job?

bloboblob

Recruiter

05-28-2011

Agreed.

The reward was made so small in order to weed out those that just did it for ip.
That being said, I wouldnt mind some random badge, just to show I contributed.

Venom Stoneice

05-28-2011

Their is going to be an ip reward when it goes live. Keep in mind this is a beta version of this.

Bridenal

05-28-2011

I've receive my IP reward and I'm fine with that.

iScrtAznMan

05-28-2011

I don't think riot expects us to max out our limiters. The whole purpose of the tribunal is to bring justice and remove negative players from the game. I think that in its self is a good enough reward. Players that want recognition or ip will start to do sloppy cases, especially for obtaining numbers of correct cases. Then again, the majority of cases are pretty easy to decide in. However, I think it's hard to just judge based off removing those players, as it is a lot of work.

I think it's really difficult for people to judge based on just chat logs. Some games, it's obvious, but it's hard to tell if someone is trolling if someone did well early game and then started to feed. Then again, these people have multiple reports and you just look at the next game.

I think a good reward is to give the participants of the tribunal more weight or give them difficult cases that are more like an issue in the system. Such as a loop hole in the summoner's code. Much like a supreme court and allow participants to communicate views on certain cases.

Another thing that would be nice is to have a new system that you can vote for good sportsmanship, since looking at bad behavior gets really sickening sometimes and rewarding good players encourages good behavior. Plus the tribunal voters wont develop psychological disorders .

Hopefully you guys agree. Although I like the IP reward, I think that there are other methods of encouraging community involvement. The tribunal system is a great idea that passes the normal duties of a board for discipline to an infinite work force, or at least a work force the size of the player base.

Edit: Also having a method to post certain views on cases would be nice for those difficult ones, which go without punishment or resolution and get skipped instead. Then again, it allows for more abuse, but the good judges will prevail eventually as bad voters get less votes. I mentioned this before, but wanted to make it clear =).

Steve Biski

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-28-2011

I, for one, agree about the interest of the tribunal users being lost. I find the idea in general to be interesting, but I have my doubts that I'll be this into it within a month, especially if there's no tangible reward for sinking your time into it. Most of the appeal for me was that I'd have a way to earn some IP, and would probably keep me going even if I stop finding reviewing games interesting. I was disappointed when I found the exact amount of ip reward per game (5 ip for a correct decision), so I agree that the reward system needs something more to be truly motivating. I'm not thrilled about rewards pertaining to forum titles or icons or whatever, and I have my doubts that it will be enough to keep the majority of tribunal users interested. On the other hand, there's not much else to offer besides more ip (RP are out of the question).

tl;dr if I'm going to spend time on the tribunal cases (And I like to be thorough), then I would like some sort of appropriate reward for the time I spend.

KamaitachiTrey

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Huntsman

05-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloboblob View Post
Agreed.

The reward was made so small in order to weed out those that just did it for ip.
That being said, I wouldnt mind some random badge, just to show I contributed.
Oooh, a badge is something I'd like also! I mean, honestly, I havn't even bothered checking my email yet for the IP because personally I don't really care much for it - I just want to help clean up the community and get rid of everyone making it a horrible experiences for me and my especially newbie friends.

It can be hard trying to teach the game to someone new when there's either a smurf, or they're on your account temporarily to test out some champions and end up in a game with an intentional feeder or leaver, and so on. With the Tribunal though, I'm finally happy to say it has been happening far less already!

I don't really mind getting IP in any amount, I prefer it for the community - a badge would be cool! Perhaps after a certain amount of tribunal sessions? Anyways! I personally believe the IP is fine, some days it takes me 30 - 50 minutes to go through Tribunal (and these are days I'm being very thorough) and other days only take me something like 10 minutes throughout all 10 cases - why? Because even though I look through all of the games, they can be as simple as immediately admitting to feeding, afking, or verbally abusing their allies/foes (without being provoked) - in that case it doesn't take long to understand they need to be punished.

So do I feel good earning something like 50 - 70 IP for it? If it lasts 10 minutes, sure! If it took me 50 minutes? 70 IP is about what you'd earn in a 50 minute loss in a game, isn't it? So I also don't really mind.

-Trey

P.S. As I always say, this is just my opinion, could be wrong or right in your eyes, that's just my 2 cents.

P.S.S. I'm pretty sure this system is to supplement the game, not become a replacement for it - so is there a lack of IP because of this? Probably.

Jesodoth

05-28-2011

All very good points and suggestions guys.

Now, the system at hand is balanced, I agree. I'm just posing a hypothetical what if kind of scenario.

Here's a suggestion, what if they rewarded us with an IP Boost for X amount of games (Not straight IP). This would offset time spent doing Tribunal work, while simultaneously encouraging people to play LoL. And, could keep people interested in the work.

If anyone has any suggestions post them up.

KamaitachiTrey

Huntsman

05-28-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jesodoth View Post
All very good points and suggestions guys.

Now, the system at hand is balanced, I agree. I'm just posing a hypothetical what if kind of scenario.

Here's a suggestion, what if they rewarded us with an IP Boost for X amount of games (Not straight IP). This would offset time spent doing Tribunal work, while simultaneously encouraging people to play LoL. And, could keep people interested in the work.

If anyone has any suggestions post them up.
While I don't mind the current system and generally don't care whether I receive IP at all or not, this might be an interesting alternative for those who feel like they're not receiving as much as others.

The downside to this is people like me who can't spend every day on my gaming computer for LoL do have generous time throughout the day to find a computer and do a few Tribunal Cases. While I don't get to play as much as I'd like, my IP doesn't exactly suffer as much for it thanks to Tribunal, and that's just why I personally enjoy how the system is currently set up.

I'm trying to brainstorm other possible solutions, but it is difficult - particularly when some players have opportunities to make use of your example of the win bonus more frequently and then there are individuals like me who can't be on LoL every day... Hm.

-Trey