Is there a Magic Pen. cap?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Elkasaurus

03-21-2010

I'm trying to get the most damage out of caster champions (Karthus, Annie).

So far I have +10 magic pen in runes (x7 marks and x2 quints). I'm planning to fill every slot with magic pen.

Will I easily reach the cap if I buy a few magic pen items in the game itself?

Seaka

03-21-2010

Well as far as magic pen goes it only can penetrate what the enemy gets magic resist for. I have for annie +10 magic pen in runes and in game getting sorc boots and haunting guise usually does the trick. If they stack more MR I get a void staff. If they don't get magic resist at all then sorc boots + the mp that you have in runes will make your spells hit for what they are marked for and from there you get ap.. thats the best way i know to get the best dmg out of annie anyways.

Elkasaurus

03-22-2010

Cool, thanks.

However, does magic pen go negative? ie. if I stack magic pen, will damage keep increasing?

FeLpZ

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-22-2010

no. magic reduction does but i dont see how it is possible really.. i think there is just abyssal sceptre

Valldor

03-22-2010

@ OP

No there is no actual cap on magic pen as stated, it just cannot bring someone below 0 MR

Now magic resist reduction can take them below 0, but sadly if your reduction is taking them below 0 then penetration is worthless because of the order of calculations.

1. Targets given MR
2. Subtract %'s (Void Staff and Archaic Knowledge mastery)
3. Subtract any negative resistances (Abyssal Scepter and Fiddle's passive)
4. Apply magic pen

xahhfink6

03-22-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Valldor View Post
@ OP

No there is no actual cap on magic pen as stated, it just cannot bring someone below 0 MR

Now magic resist reduction can take them below 0, but sadly if your reduction is taking them below 0 then penetration is worthless because of the order of calculations.

1. Targets given MR
2. Subtract %'s (Void Staff and Archaic Knowledge mastery)
3. Subtract any negative resistances (Abyssal Scepter and Fiddle's passive)
4. Apply magic pen
You have the order wrong, % penatration is applied after negative factors, meaning that that they inversely synergyze with magic reduction.

And yes, it is possible to get to a negative MR on characters, Abyssal lowers by 20, fiddles lowers by 10, amumu's passive lowers by 15, soraka can lower by up to 60 I believe with startfall, ryze lowers like 485 a hit, etc.