Twisted Treeline might need a map-layout change

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

SonicTheHedgedawg

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

11-12-2009

Last night I decided to play one quick game on twisted treeline.

(this is the whole story; skip to the bold at the end if you don't have time to read it.)
Little did I know what I was in for:
My team was me as nasus and an ashe and a fiddlesticks that I didn't know against an Alistar, a nunu and a master Yi. Summoner levels were roughly equal between me and the other team, but my two teammates were lower, especially the fiddlesticks, and one of their teammates was higher than us all.

The game starts with our ashe staking out next to lizard and then, the moment ashe spots someone, having fiddlesticks jump into a 3 man gang and get beat to hell. Ashe and I jump in to save him and I die as a result, but fiddlesticks and ashe live to push bottom lane.

I respawn quicky and go top.

I am pushing better than their yi, but he's making me hurt for it and philosopher's stone isn't doing enough to protect me. I play smart though and don't give him a chance to get to me if I'm at low health.

Eventually nunu comes top with him and my mercury treads render him nearly useless. And then Alistar comes from behind and ganks me (thanks for the no MIA call) But the thing is, he shouldn't have been able to do that . . . He didn't catch me in a bad position.

And then I realize he's level 16 and I am the next highest character at level 11.... Our fiddlesticks was REALLY a feedlesticks and had been feeding alistar all game making him nearly impossible to kill.

Anyway, they push all of our towers except nexus by the time we push one.

By the time we are all stuck in base, I have Philosopher's stone, trinity force, mercury treads and components to warmog's. I have been soloing all game in a sometimes abandon lane and Due to increased gold at Twisted Treeline and a philosopher's stone, I can afford warmog's pretty quickly.

basically it was a VERY simple rinse and repeat strategy of turtling in and out of the respawn fountain whenever my health or mana was below half and then destroying wave after wave of creep. Fortifying if ever the champions tried to help them and, as long as at least one of my teamates could help, killing one, two or all of them.

Despite being fed as hell, they simply couldn't beat me while I almost always had full health and mana.

The kills and continuing to melt creep waves eventually earned me an atma's impaler and a phantom dancer. At which point I was unkillable.

I could out DPS their yi and none of the other champions did enough damage to me to kill me before I could make it back to the fountain. This would be bad on any map, but on twisted treeline, the fountain is SO CLOSE to the last tower that needs to be defended that it is very hard to counter in any way as long as you have much survivability at all.

While their super creeps were starving them of minion kills, they were feeding me, meaning that eventually I had the money to sell philosopher's stone, grab a bloodthirstir to quickly max out and fill up on potions of brilliance, fortitude and agility.

All it took was one well placed fortify and all 3 of them were dead. Yes it was a tad reckless on their part, but they thought having every buff on the map including the dragon buff would be able to save them from the power of the fountain. They were wrong.

With all 3 dead, super nasus pushed both lanes by myself with no creeps. The towers melted like butter after their recent nerf. And, without a fortify, their nexus tower was not safe.

Superfed Nasus could take it down while ignoring the other team entierely and then the nexus after that. Yes, it helps that nasus is a counter-tank and that I had enough armour and survivability to render yi weak during my ult.

The point isn't that I won a game with essentially 1.5 vs 3, but, rather, that by being able to abuse healing from the fountain in a way that the other team could not, our team couldn't be beaten.

I'm going to say right now that I think that they COULD have taken down our nexus tower with some better planning, but with a yi, an allistar and a TT dragon buff, it should hardly have been a challenge as fed as they were.

While I don't think the strategy is unbeatable by any stretch, it works far too well for being so simple. I mean, the nexus tower and the fountain are practically within ranged auto attack distance from each other. with 3 fortifies, I'd wager that you could stretch out a game for obcene amounts of time.

Iunno how I'd fix that. Either switch the location of the nexus and the tower and reinstitute the 2nd guard tower, or switch them places and beef up the single tower a litte. But putting the tower so close to the spawn fountain means that a smart team can send out wave after wave of completely healthy champions to defend it.

Rendruk

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

09-18-2011

The difference is, that one team has the benefit of controlling the entire map full of Jungle buffs and the 190 from the dragon constantly, as well as farming the minions you send you -- and the ability to time assaults when you are busy clearing out 4 super minions per wave.

Also keep in mind that minion waves get progressively harder and take longer to clear.

Finally, even if you do manage to get an ace as the defending team, you can not push with all three of your champs because one has to stay behind to defend due to lack of towers. You also usually can not push with minions to aid you in taking turret fire, as super minions will generally block them from coming to your aid.

SonicTheHedgedawg

09-18-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rendruk View Post
The difference is, that one team has the benefit of controlling the entire map full of Jungle buffs and the 190 from the dragon constantly, as well as farming the minions you send you -- and the ability to time assaults when you are busy clearing out 4 super minions per wave.

Also keep in mind that minion waves get progressively harder and take longer to clear.

Finally, even if you do manage to get an ace as the defending team, you can not push with all three of your champs because one has to stay behind to defend due to lack of towers. You also usually can not push with minions to aid you in taking turret fire, as super minions will generally block them from coming to your aid.
congratulations for responding to a thread that was two years old and is no longer relavent since twisted treeline has had a layout change and in a way which was completely non-sequiter as well.

Seriously. Good job.