Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Is Garen still viable in 5v5?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

TheOneTrueAustin

05-26-2011

He was one of my favorite characters for awhile but the more I've tried to play him recently the more I find that he just can't do anything after early game. No matter what you build on him he just doesn't pose a threat to the enemy team.

Either he builds DPS and is super squishy (and does less damage than other characters with identical items) or he builds tanky and tickles the entire enemy team for completely sad amounts of damage.

Am I missing something? Is there a magical combination of items that makes him useful?

Johnnyrocks

05-26-2011

well, if you want to try building him a tanky-DPS sort of way, you could start out by getting tons of HP, then getting atmas impaler then working your way up on getting armor and magic resistance.

Draghinaazzo

05-26-2011

I only play garen when my team has a real tank. I build glass cannon and troll like I've never trolled before.

Larson McMurphy

05-27-2011

I've been having some success with Garen recently. Try the typical AD carry tactic of stacking a few doran's blades early game. Then build sunfire and aegis of legion. Sell of your dorans' as you complete youmuu's, and if you make it that far, infinite edge.

His main contribution is aoe damage from judgment and sunfire and his silence. In teamfights, follow these steps:

1. Charge into battle with decisive strike active aiming for the enemy champ that needs to be silenced the most. Many times this will be an enemy tank with strong CC. If you shut down their CC at the start of the fight, it will give your team an advantage.

2. Spin and try to damage as many enemy champs as possible for maximum effect.

3. Look for good opportunities to use your ult. Use it to finish off someone who is going to get away otherwise, not for a kill steal, or use it to significantly weaken someone for an ally to finish off. Use flash if you have too to catch them.

Garen is useful. Just play him as aoe damage spam/ anti-carry with a powerful silence.

Avid Hero

05-27-2011

I don't see it man. As a tank, he's ehhh. One SHORT range silence. Some massive aoe if people stand in it/don't focus you down.

As a dps he's ehhh as well. You can get a nasty nasty AOE off if you build crit giving you about 900-1300 damage over 2 seconds... if people stand in it... but his q lvls off and does LESS damage than his regular atks (when critting). So if played with just the right team comp, and the team are ******s, he can be viable dps.

He needs some work. And he can reck face at lower levels/in the lane because of his high base damage and general tankyness/players inability to flee the spin at lower lvls... But at higher lvls, without his OLD anti CC spin he's much less useful. Go with trynd, olaf, **** even dps amumu.

biomorph

05-27-2011

If your enemies are .... less experienced lets say ... then yea sure. Generally, no, Garen is - by him self - a joke in my opinion and is perhaps the easiest champion to play against.
That said you can do some evil combos like lux or blitz or some other CC and dominate the lane due to the massive damage from judgement early game. If you have someone doing the work for you so you can look stupid, spinning to a beach boys melody, and get free kills on other peoples behalf then Garen is viable in the sense that he becomes unstoppable.

Maal

05-27-2011

I see Garen plenty in my 5v5, full tank build, and the dps focus him hard every time. I say he's a viable counter vs stupidity.

Anselm

05-27-2011

In my opinion, yes.

I play AD Garen and consistantly carry the team, going 15-25 kills and 0-6 deaths. So I think, if you play him right, he can be great in 5v5.

IMSOJUICY

05-27-2011

i love garen but i have huge trouble against kiting champs with him.

Larson McMurphy

05-27-2011

Elementz just moved him up from tier 4 to tier 3 on the solo queue tier list. He's definitely viable. If you don't do well with him your doing it wrong.