CLG's Statement Regarding the Dreamhack Qualifier Changes

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Onlyashadow

05-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by RiotNick View Post
Our response to the conflict of interest presented to us was not a kneejerk reaction; we considered input from teams and debated choices between Marcou and myself. We could not ban a team based on speculation and switching the #7 and #8 seed presented what we consider the best option.

Dreamhack qualifiers represent those that are at the pinnacle of skill in their region. Seeding is a matter of perception and regardless of seed a team must prove they are a top three team to attend the finals; this includes who they play in the first round.

We stand by our seeding but acknowledge your concern, again this decision has nothing to do with TSM or CLG, integrity in eSports is a paramount concern.
You are part of the reason this game's competitive scene is laughed about.

Sammael7

05-26-2011

Honestly, I would consider myself a TSM fan and I do want them to win it, but fair and square. Even I can tell that this jank is unfair, and extremely unprofessional. It's no wonder we aren't taken seriously in the Esports community.

hoaxium

05-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jakrandom View Post
How much integrity can your esport have if you have to bounce teams around like this in the first place to avoid game rigging?
The problem I see is that it's not even fixing the rig. What happens once EG and TSM do meet, do you shuffle them again? What if it's finals? They can just agree to split the pot and play a meaningless game. Happens all the time.

LoneWulfX

05-26-2011

Riot failed hard

Buschbiber

05-26-2011

that isnt right... let them drop a match.... so they dont wanna be present at dreamhack...... wayne... but the swap isnt fair...

P4Powned

05-26-2011

bump for zeh justice

Sm00sh

05-26-2011

Riot went full rere

Nyhilus

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-26-2011

Here are some facts to clarify Hotshot's first post in case you don't understand how this skews things:

Seed 1 (CLG) is playing vs. Seed 7 (EG). This makes it more difficult for Seed 1 to advance to the second stage of the qualifiers by 1 seed. Traditionally, Seed 1 should have the easiest path to get through the entire tournament.

Seed 2 (TSM) is playing vs. Seed 8 (WHALE). This makes it easier for them to advance to the second stage of the qualifiers by 1 seed.

This was changed due to Seed 7 (EG) possibly throwing a game to Seed 2 (TSM) in THE FIRST ROUND of the tournament. The difficulty of this match will be pretty much nothing - or the same difficulty that beating Seed 8 (WHALE) is SUPPOSED to be. Therefore, either way, if EG throws round 1 or not, TSM has an easy path to round 2.

If CLG plays EG, EG will not throw the tournament and will be playing their hardest against CLG. Mind you, EG has grown since the last seedings since TSM gave EG WestRice, one of their first-string players (and thus, increasing the average skill level of the team TREMENDOUSLY). This makes it even harder for CLG to advance.

On top of that, if TSM meets EG in the semi-finals of the Winners' Bracket for the qualifiers, EG will STILL throw the match to TSM. Meaning TWO easy wins for TSM and an instant path to the Finals of DreamHack.

However if TSM plays against EG in round 1, and EG throws round 1, TSM must still play against WHALE and its round 2 opponent. THEN it must play the best player of the first bracket, which will NOT be throwing the match. This makes them only have ONE easy win.

Therefore, the qualifying tournament is currently HEAVILY skewed in favour of TSM. By changing the seedings the way you have, Riot, you are making it even EASIER for TSM to win the qualifiers and then get to DreamHack. EG will then be in top 3 at DreamHack (3rd place or 2nd place depending on loser's bracket) again during DreamHack, and they can AGAIN throw a match for TSM to win. This, then, in the end, makes DreamHack THAT MUCH EASIER for TSM to win because they literally have 2 teams playing for them.

The best course of action would be to disqualify either TSM, EG, or both and replace them with currently seeded #9 and #10. OR disqualify the conspirators from each team that decided on throwing tournament matches for the sake of TSM. The first solution would make the qualifiers quite boring and wouldn't represent NA's true strength to the world at DreamHack. Therefore, I think the ultimate solution would be the second one provided, in which the inidividual conspirators are disqualified from participating in the matches.

P.S. I am not a fanboy of CLG, though I do support them. From the information above, you can clearly see that this skews the entire tournament in favour of one side over another (which I am not in favour of). If the situation was TSM in place of CLG, I'd still post this.

P.P.S. This is speculation that EG WILL throw the game. However, as far as most of the players in the qualifying teams know, no single team is planning on throwing any game. If anything, only one or two people would be willing to throw a game due to very close relations.

P.P.P.S. Also, this means that CLG wasted its effort and time working so hard to obtain +200 points on the 2nd Seed Team so that they would have an easier opponent. All of a sudden, the 2nd Seed Team gains +201 points and becomes Seed 1 just because of a floating rumour. How is that ANYWHERE near fair, Riot?

Arbyit

05-26-2011

I was going to buy riot points today. Instead I am buying HoN, not because I am switching to HoN but just because at least I am not helping Riot.

Ehaw

05-26-2011

And this is one of the many reasons why League of Legends will never be taken seriously as an "E-Sport".