Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Udyr Items

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Enigmers

05-26-2011

Hi folks,

I've been playing Udyr a bunch and I don't really know what items to get anymore (or when to get them.). Can you guys help me out?

Here's what I usually do:

Wriggle's Lantern, boots (usually Merc Treads, in rare cases Ninja Tabi), Heart of Gold (eventual Randuin's Omen, but foer now, let it farm gold).
If they've got an AP nuker, I get Banshee's Veil.
If they've got more consistent AP damage, I get FoN
If they've got more armor, I go for Bloodrazors.
If they've got more AD, I go for an earlier Randuin's, especially if they're melee (Xin Zhao, etc.)

I'm thinking I should try for something a little more offensively-oriented, like a Frozen Mallet or a Trinity Force, but I don't know when I'd build these to still be able to take a hit.

DCDViet

05-26-2011

Hm what about if your just going out for full tank?

Nilator

05-26-2011

triforce...
is not on that list

Enigmers

05-26-2011

Quote:
Nilator:
triforce...
is not on that list

I would use it, but I wouldn't know when to get it. With Irelia, I do Philosopher's stone -> boots -> sheen -> phage -> zeal -> BY YOUR POWERS COMBINED, I AM TRIFORCE and even then I barely get it in time; as Udyr, I feel like I'd need to grab Wriggle's and a HoG before I start on Trinity Force, and even than I might get it too late. That's kind of why I'm here for help.

UknowsI

05-26-2011

Lantern
Merc
Triforce

That's a very standard and solid build. As well as decent damage it gives you some armour, MR, lifesteal, movement speed, tenacity and HP, so as long as you're not trying to be the main tank you should be ok. After that I often follow up with a Negatron, but it depends a lot on what you're facing. Against a mage heavy team you might want to buy the negatron before finishing the Triforce.

Personally I don't like Randuin's so much on Udyr because the bonuses are kind of wasted. When you are close enough to use the active spell all the enemies are stunned and slowed from bear stance and triforce/red buff anyway, and the HoG gives you health early when what you really want is armour/mr because of your shield. Still not a bad item though, but I would prefer a Triforce.

For 7610 gold you'll have 5892 effective health and very nice damage output. This is my current base build:
http://leaguecraft.com/builder/Udyr/?items=111,70,28,19&runes=38,38,38,38,38,38,36,36,36,63,63,63,63,63,63,63,63,63,98,98,98,98,98,98,98,98,98,10,10,10&masteries=3010040031200000000000000000031040112031000&level=18

My main difficulty with this build is ranged AD champs and if the enemy's ranged AD champs are posing a large threat early on I'll have to change the build a bit.

Tha Dynamite

05-26-2011

There are situations where getting Trinity Force is just off the table.
For example, if you are doing poorly, then you shouldn't even consider it.
Even if you're breaking even, you should avoid it in most games.

If you're breaking even but your team has a lot of champions that you can expect to join a team fight before you do (say your team has an Amumu and Jarvan already), then you should consider picking one up.
But thats probably not going to be the case in most games.

The only time you should get it first is if you're fed.
Reason being that you will take way too long to achieve any results by just normal farm trying to get a Trinity Force. The three items to craft are all mediocre other than Sheen.
Even worst would be if you have a negative score early. By the time you can muster enough for a Trinity Force, other players would already have two or three completed items.

Pig Magus

05-26-2011

From what I hear grabbing defense and mr items and cooldown reduction is more important for health than...health. His turtle lets him...well...turtle and it effectively gives him free hp. Wriggles can get you back damage that bleeds through your shield.

TheCowGoes

05-26-2011

Shameless plug. (http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/guide/7183-sxr-s-in-depth-look-to-udyr-1-0-0-113.xhtml) I've learned that what items ya take are pretty tied into what skills you invest in first, how well you are doing, the amount of kills you're eating and how much you're getting focused. I don't really think there is a "core" item for udyr other than boots. With Udyr, if you're building you Tri-Force you *need* to start investing in it as soon as that boots/wriggles are done, probably after the HoG if you can afford the time. The sheen is the main reason you're building tri force though, so if you need to you can stagger the rest until late-game when you've packed enough meat to get to your target in the first place.

The way lots of Udyrs build is two or three (three absolutely max, I think) damage items first than build tanky with whatever's left, usually. I don't really like grabbing CDR because past blue-buff since CDR capping isn't terribly effective on him -- you need to wait six seconds to stun with bear again anyway, tiger DoT doesn't stack for two seconds +activation effects don't stack with themselves: you need to wait for the turtle shield to go down before you can bring it back up, phoenix's activation takes six seconds, etc. Nothing there really warrants faster stance-dancing other than the fact that blue-buff's CDR boost let's you perma-stance with one stance at 17%. Build for the things that make your stances more efficient before you worry about anything else.

And the guide's a lot of reading, but try focusing on his argument for/against Tri-force. I usually don't try to decide on items until I'm in game, honestly. Build to adapt.

Edit: Upvoted for Captain Planet reference.