Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide]Taric, Tanking like a Pro.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krath4

03-20-2010

Now with 45% more condon-inspired aggressive guiding.

One: Introduction

First of all, if you're looking for a DPS Taric build which seem to be popular in guides, stop. This guide is made for real men wanting to play a manly champion. Taric was made for laughing in the face of damage then breaking it's god**** spine with his giant hammer. You are the team's tank, you are the one who rushes in first spreading chaos with your armor debuffs while your allies finish up what you started. You have nothing to fear, so sit your ass down and read this guide on how to play a severely underplayed yet viable tank.

Two: Pre-Game

For Runes, you'll want to focus on Flat HP, armor penetration, and magic resistance. Flat HP runes are ridiculously good for their price and make you much harder to kill early game. Armor Penetration makes it so once you debuff their armor with Shatter you tear right through the pathetic remnants. Magic Resistance because while you have stupidly high Armor, your Magic Res base is a bit lacking.

Summoner spells, I take Fortify and Clarity? Why? Because your teammates are selfish pansies 95% of the time and will go Ignite/Flash like the idiots they are, Fortify helps you keep those precious turrets up while you're off smashing skulls in. Clarity is because Taric often runs low on mana early-game and thus needs more of it to continue his killing sprees. If you think you're man enough to go without mana, which you're not, feel free to take Flash or Ghost so you have an escape mechanism.

And finally, masteries. You want 0/21/9. Taric wants Improved Fortify and Improved Clarity most definitely. If you're a wuss and need an escape skill, take Improved Ghost. However, Taric is a real man and doesn't flee in the face of adversity, so go find another champion to play. How about you go back to playing Shaco, wimp.

Three: Know Yourself

Let's get to know Taric. He is quite the manly man, rivaling the MFing Cho'Gath and Chuck Norris themselves. Late game, his armor will reach ridiculous levels and you can usually shrug off...everything. Let's look over his skills.

Gemcraft
Taric loves to socket magical gems into all of his weapons, resulting in his melee attacks repleneshing his mana for 7.5% of damage dealt.

Taric loves this passive. It keeps him nice and full of mana so he can spam Shatter and Dazzle.

Imbue (20/19/18/17/16 seconds)
Taric brings forth earthen energy to heal a nearby ally and himself for 70 / 120 / 170 / 220 / 270 (+0 ability power). If Taric heals only himself, the heal will be 40% more effective. Melee attacks on enemies decrease this spell's cooldown by 2 seconds per hit.

This is what gives Taric his early game laning presence. While your enemies will be turret hugging like the little babies they are after they run out of potions, you and your partner will be getting delicious heals every fifteen seconds, keeping you nice and strong to continue the slaughter.

Shatter (16 seconds)
Passive: Provides 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 bonus armor to himself and nearby allies.

Active: Taric deals 100 / 150 / 200 / 250 / 300 (+0 ability power) magic damage to nearby enemies and decreases their armor by 10 / 15 / 20 / 25 / 30 for 4 seconds. The passive is not in effect during the cooldown.

This is your defining skill. This is what makes Taric shrug off Physical attacks with ease while dispensing hammer-flavored justice. It is your main move, with excellent burst damage and a hefty armor debuff, making your melee attacks do good damage even with no DPS items.

Dazzle (14/13/12/11/10 seconds)
Taric fires a sphere of prismatic light at an enemy, dealing 0 - 80 / 160 / 240 / 320 / 400 (+0 ability power) magic damage (lower damage the further the target is), and stunning them for .5 - 2 seconds (higher stun the further the target is).

This is Shatter's unappreciated little brother. Up close, it will smack your opponent with 400 damage and a nice little .5 second stun. Far away, it'll hold them still while you run in, Shatter, and bash their face in. However, you'll usually use it more for the stun rather than the damage.

Radiance (20 seconds)
Toggle: Taric emits brilliant light, healing himself and nearby allies for 30 / 40 / 50 (+0 ability power) a second and increasing his base physical damage by 40 / 60 / 80% (half effect for nearby allies). The cost to sustain Radiance increases by 10 each second.

Oh yes, this ult lets Taric solo champions single-handedly, take down turrets in record time, and still be a DPS while being a tank. At level 3, that's 80% increased damage and 40% for your allies. Wanna know another reason I said get Clarity? So you can keep this on for even longer to dispense more death. Hit it during the big teamfights or when you're hitting a turret, the low cooldown lets you use it at will.

Four: Skills

Shatter
Imbue
Dazzle
Shatter
Shatter
Radiance
Shatter
Imbue
Shatter
Imbue
Radiance
Imbue
Dazzle
Imbue
Dazzle
Radiance
Dazzle
Dazzle

Max out Shatter first, it gives you more survivability, and more damage when you rush into battle like the armored battle tank you are. Go for Imbue next so you can keep the pain train rolling on. Go for Dazzle last. While it's a good skill, extra levels only give it more damage and less cooldown, but we're using it for the stun, not the damage.

Five: Items

First item should be a Mana Manipulator. It's like giving both you and your laning partner a free Meki Pendant, and builds into a Soul Shroud we want later. With this and your passive, you can spam your moves all day, dispensing debuffs, heals, more debuffs and death by the dozens.

With nothing but this and Clarity, you should be able to lane for ridiculously long, only returning back to base when you have enough for your boots of choice and a Giant's Belt. Now if the enemy team has three hard CC abilties or more, grab Mercury Treads, because Taric does not like being stunned, he likes stunning others. If they're heavy on the physical carries, and those dumb solo queuers usually are, grab Ninja Tabi. Otherwise, get Berserker Greaves so you can take advantage of your delicious passive.

Now lane some more until you get enough to finish off your Soul Shroud and buy a Null-Magic Mantle, so we can begin working on a Guardian Angel. Now that you have health, an aura, and magic resistance, your allies are stronger for just standing next to Your Manliness, and now you shrug off spells just like auto-attacks.

Now you begin saving up for Guardian Angel. This is where your survivability becomes so high it's not funny any more. Your enemies will see your 200+ armor and 100+ magic resistance and pee in their panties as you charge into them like the man you are. If by some small chance they kill you, you'll come back after a short delay, ready to go heal back up or continue the butt kicking.

"Now how could it get any better?" you ask. I'll tell you, Jimmy. Now you get Attack Speed so you can decimate creep waves and bash skulls in quicker. Pick up a Recurve Bow when you get a chance and turn it into a Wit's End. Yes, it if wasn't demoralizing enough for your enemies to be continually slain at every turn, you get to deplete their mana to nothing while you do it. ANNNDDD it comes with nifty Magic Resistance which you want.

If the round is still going on, and if it is you're obviously not doing your job right, get a Aegis of the Legion. Now you get more health, and even the creeps are inspired by your mere presence. The match shouldn't last any longer than this, but if it is, get a Phantom Dancer. But really, if it's lasted this long you're obviously a terrible Taric and should go back to playing DPS Teemo.

Six: The Game, you haven't lost it.

Take a side lane, and preferably partner up with someone capable of high burst damage like Shaco or Ryze. Scout the bushes and mark them as your own, because you will be the ones controlling the lane. You can farm easily enough because of your naturally high armor, so don't fear harassment too much. Once you hit level three or four, it's time to get some kills.

Unless you scared your enemies into humping their tower all the time (who can blame them, but they have to come out to farm sometime), get in the bushes and get ready. when your target extends themselves a bit, fire a maximum range stun, run in and Shatter, then smash them and smash them some more. Unless your partner is a braindead idiot, he'll hopefully have Exhaust or Ignite which will virtually guarantee a kill unless your target is Alistar or the MFing Cho'Gath. Even if it doesn't kill them, they'll be forced to recall and waste time or sit around their turret sipping tea at 100 health like little girly men. Because you're god**** Taric, don't be afraid to tower dive the wussies who think they can do that.

You must lane aggressively. Show the enemy that this lane belongs to Taric, and if they don't like that they can eat your gem-encrusted behind. If they dare to get in distance of you, fire a stun off and run in to Shatter to remind them that you control when they live and die. Farming is easy enough, run in the middle of the creeps, activate Shatter and smack them once each for easy gold. Your foes will be losing ground so fast they'll be hiding behind each other hoping Taric doesn't choose to stun them first.

Mid Game
Around mid-game, your job is to gank losers and help push turrets with Radiance. Standard procedure is to run into a lane screaming at the top of your lungs, fire off Dazzle + Shatter for the kill, then push the turret with your ult and your allies. Hopefully you've at least pushed them to their inner turrets.

At all times, make sure the lanes are pushed in your favor. As the slightly-less-manly-than-Taric-but-still-manly-Udyr says 'We do not pity the defenseless'. Your enemies will be powerless to stop your Taric-led charge of destruction, so stay on the offensive and show no mercy. If a lane is looking lonely, pop in and push to their turret, then laugh evilly as you run off to another lane to do the same while the enemies just arrive to where you were.

Late Game
At last, we reach late game, where you are **** near unkillable and the enemy team wet their gym shorts and run away at the mere sight of you. If you have done your job, they'll be stuck in their base 24/7 at your mercy. If they dare leave their base, show them the reason you carry around a sledgehammer twice your size. Keep every single lane pushed all the time. Take potshots at turrets at every chance, and coordinate five man pushes with you leading the way of course.

Once you get an inhibitor down, it's all smooth sailing. Your enemies will be forced to go on the defensive if they haven't already. Get to the remaining turrets. If the enemy team is being stubborn, grab Baron to persuade them to type in /surrender and save everyone some time. If by some small chance you're losing, give up trying to learn Taric and go back to your DPS Ashe and Tank Mundo, you sissy.

As a last note, in the final frame of you bashing their nexus apart with your bare hands, make sure to type in /joke so the defeated can know what gems are and why you should not **** with them ever.

Chisleu

03-20-2010

nice guide. I play him as a tank, however I don't get Aegis, I get the +ap+%ap ring for his ulti. I find in late game the ulti does very little on the healing front unless you have +150-200ap. If I'm playing as support instead of strictly tanking, I go w/ deathfire grasp (for the g/5 at first) and build the ring. watch those silly solo queueing low-health dps'rs health go full as the scared team fails to focus fire.

Love Taric, although now I'm starting to play others more often. I made it to level 30 almost entirely with Taric.

roninsm

03-20-2010

The entire point in Aegis is to win early/mid game team fights. If you are getting it (and you should), get it early, or it's much less valuable.

Nice guide though.

RealFatChicken

Recruiter

03-20-2010

Overall a very good guide. I think Taric is a far more effective tank/support than he is a dps like most of the other guides seem to suggest. I played 4 normals games today (just leveling up still so no ELO to speak of) and won them all following a very similar build.

I found though that chalice was a nice buy for Taric, seeing as he's naturally low on magic resist and Chalice is more effective the lower your mana pool (which is always low, especially once I hit level 6).

Leviathan is also a very good purchase if your team is doing well. I averaged about 20 assists in all 4 games and it was easy to get a 20 stack with the recent buff with getting 2 stacks per assist. By then you're just a total pain to kill, and it's a good HP item as most of the other items in your build are armor/resist. Sure the tank's job is to get focused and die most of the time, but if you pick your fights and get the 20 stacks than you can do your job 15% better.

Any suggestions for complimentary tanking AP items if you want to be a better support-tank? For the 2 games that went over the 35min mark I played today I was at a lost for what to build... I went RoA for one game, but getting it so late seemed like a bit of a waste (15min to get full strength). The other game I went with Ryjal's, but it felt weird buying that since it feels more like a caster item with the slow... but it's a buttload of health and AP so I guess it's got potential.

Anyway thanks, reading this made me try out Taric and I think I'll start maining him as I level to 30.

Krath4

03-21-2010

Nice posts, guys! I've tried going Aegis then Guardian instead of Guardian then Aegis, and it works fairly well. It's mostly personal preference, really.

@RealFatChicken, Chalice is a great buy if your laning partner doesn't use mana (Morde, Mundo, etc), but I still prefer Mana Manipulator -> Soul Shroud for the aura and health.. But again, it's mostly up to you. As for Leviathan, I also average somewhere bewteen 10 and 20 assists per game, so I may try that!.

Tanking AP items? Hmm...Rod of Ages would probably be best, but you have to get it kinda early for it to be effective. You can rush it instead of getting Soul Shroud/Chalice if you start with a Sapphire Crystal, build that to Catalyst, and then Catalyst into the Rod. Around late-game, your best bet would be Rylais. You don't need it so much for the passive, but 500 health is quite a bit and the extra AP definitely improves your damage. Glad to see I got some people to try out Taric.