Is AP Sion still viable for ranked and competitive play? (Dated May 2011)

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

killraven

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-26-2011

A little background - I was trying to master AP sion in some normals and start using him in my rotation in ranked and team games and stuff because I always have this mental image of AP Sions dominating (!) and I wanted to be part of the fun.

I kept playing solid, fundamental games with him and I kept going like 2-2-20 and things like that (usually duo lane.) And while that is fine, it's not exactly the super carry i was expecting. My build order was basically to rush AP as fast as I could (deathcap rush ect.)

Is this play style still good? Someone was telling me that Sion is underpowered now (is this true?) and that the days of dominating Sions are long gone.

What is the consensus here? Should I give up on AP sion?

Spluuge

05-26-2011

Really the only difference between 2-2-20 and 10-2-10 is a little bit of timing early game. Since AP Sion is about the burst on two abilities (until lichbane at least) it's simply the fact you didn't finish off the champs with your abilities. You may have been the sole reason they died but an auto attacker simply got the kb. If you end up with the kills early game that extra gold allows you to get that much farther ahead of the enemy that you can kill a squishy with your 1-2 combo alone.

Really as long as you're helping your team win it doesn't matter who gets the kills but to full on carry on AP Sion you need an early rabadons and lichbane and you're unstoppable.

Larson McMurphy

05-26-2011

I've been using this guide for AP Sion. It works pretty well. I always go positive, but like yourself OP, I end up with lots of assists usually. Check the damage dealt graph at end game, you'll know your were pulling your weight.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-26-2011

He is alright, but the nerfs did hurt.

Ive noticed in particular that whereas before the baddies could not break my shield, now it will periodically be broken before I can blow up on them. The nerf was small but there was a pretty thin line between your shield strength and their nuke strenght + 1 autoattack. It used to start at 120, then to 110, now at 100.

The 1.5 stun duration was mostly a nerf for AD Sion. It is still plenty of time for AP Sion to approach and blow up on them and hit with Lichbane, etc.

He also ate minor nerfs to health and health regen.

So yes, he is pretty decent still but not quite as good as before. Which is kind of odd because he never really dominated once his Shield took 4 seconds to blow up. I mean, he would occasionally kick butt during laning but he tends to fall off in effectiveness lategame.

It is easier to just use a different champ that has a good early game who stays better for longer during the endgame.

Powerstoned

05-26-2011

Is Sion fun enough to play even?

Zauren

05-26-2011

AP Sion reminds me of AP Alistair. He's going to do a lot of damage, but then he's going to do a lot of nothing. He gets a lot of assists because he's all upfront damage and then others clean up. Both have an ultimate that is mostly unrelated. I wonder if hybrid Sion could be nice, given how powerful his ultimate is with AD.

killraven

Recruiter

05-26-2011

Thanks for all the help guys. That guide is really good Larson.

I do think he's fun to play Powerstoned, I like his sheild

Alright, so what I'm getting overall is that he can be strong, but there are other (maybe better) choices in the realm of duo lane ap carries. I'm going to still use him, just because I think he's fun and I like his voice and we'll see if I get any better lol.

Hybrid Sion would be interesting definitly. What would you buy? I'm afraid that splitting your gold on ap/ad would result in him just being mediocre in both catagories?

Kikhan

05-26-2011

The main problem with the hybrid build is you basically have to rely only on E for his health stacking. Hybrid would be Gunblade and Rageblade with either LB or Triforce depending on your focus of AD or AP in your build. AP would give you exra HP and AD would get more out of his ult.

Larson McMurphy

05-27-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikhan View Post
The main problem with the hybrid build is you basically have to rely only on E for his health stacking. Hybrid would be Gunblade and Rageblade with either LB or Triforce depending on your focus of AD or AP in your build. AP would give you exra HP and AD would get more out of his ult.
I've never tried hybrid. But considering how good lichbane is for an AP build, I'd say trinity force would be a great place to start. The slow would help you stick to targets as well, and the health boost early would be nice before enrage bonuses start to ramp up.

Rageblade is good for most hybrids, but on Sion, since you typically throw your shield up running into a team fight, you won't benefit from the bonus AP from stacks. Your stun is probably going to get used before you have stacks as well. Doesn't seem like an optimal option tbh.

EDIT:

I just tried a game with a hybrid build. I played just like AP Sion for the early game, except that I took levels in my ult, and contrary to the guide I linked to earlier I maxed enrage second instead of the stun. I got sheen and merc treads (along with a few doran's, in this case a shield and a ring) then trinity force, then hextech gunblade. So basically the build was the same as a typical AP build up to finishing sheen and boots. At that point, instead of going for deathcap, I just finished trinity. I went 6/3/4, but my team was pretty horrible. We got a lucky win through a backdoor. Anyway. It played a lot like AP Sion because of the burst, but the ult was actually a lot more useful. Overall I kind of liked it and I'm going to keep testing. Try it out.

Lorifel

05-27-2011

Sion has tremendous damage from Enrage, but that damage doesn't add up to Sheen and Tri-Force proc unfortunately. I've tested this.
Just my one cent. )