Which Jungler to pick?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Dane Dread

05-26-2011

I've been working on my jungling since its something that happens infrequently at my normal elo and I'm preparing to dive into ranked where it should happen far more often. I've tried several junglers and think I'm competent with them. It seems that junglers could be divided into sub-specilizations. They all start in the jungle but they evolve into different roles they fill for the team.

In this post I'm just looking at champions that excel at the jungle. I'm sure there are tons more champions that can jungle but bring nothing special to the team for doing it. They could just as easily lane and be as effective for their team. I'm looking at champs that should jungle.

Here's how I see where the junglers I play fall so far. I'm listing what they're strongest at. Yes WW can gank but he won't be nearly as good at it early game as Amumu or Rammus. Conversely WW will let you take dragon or baron quicker and earlier than Amumu or Rammus with less of the team committed to the objective.

Amumu - Ganker & Initiator. Best choice when your team needs an initiator.

Rammus - Ganker & tank. Best choice when your team needs strong early game ganks.

Nunu - Buff control & counter jungling. Best choice to shutdown an enemy jungler. Has a really good chance to steal objectives with smite & consume.

WW - Buff control & AD DPS. Best choice to give your team a shot at early dragon and baron kills. Falls off in usefulness late game once teams are strong enough to take those objectives easily.

Those are the ones I own and feel comfortable jungling. Now for champs I'm contemplating buying or do own and just don't play.

Trundle - Ganks seem like they'd be a bit weaker than Rammus and Amumu but still high on that list. I don't see any particular strength at objective control like Nunu or WW. Mid game on he becomes a very CC resistant tanky DPS. I've never played him so I may be off base.

Olaf - Seems to just start in the jungle because his laning is weak. Strong melee DPS for team fights. Never played so my opinion could be wrong.

Udry - Objective control similar to WW. Possibly stronger as a AD DPS late game? I suck at him so not really sure how good he can be.

Anyone else that's worthy of mention as a good jungler that fills a niche I missed? I'm not really interested in looking at every champion capable of jungling. I want to discuss the champions that are strong picks for junglers and what they bring to the team thats unique or better than any other jungler pick.

GhostDonkeys

05-26-2011

Can't leave Shaco out.
Has a nice ability which he can use for fears, making a trap, and killing jungle creeps. He has a ranged ability which is nice. He is very hard to catch in the jungle due to his flash/stealth ability. He can be pretty deadly at 1v1 fights once he hits 6 due to his clone. His clone also helps him take dragon more effectively. His ganks are not bad. Later in the game he can contribute to team fights by going in and taking out a squishy or two and deceiving out.
All around a great champion but seems to require a bit more practice than other junglers to be good with.

jaMx

05-26-2011

nocturne if you need a carry

ww/udyr if they take nocturne

nunu if you have ashe on your team

amumu/ramm if they aren't banned

StyrTW

05-26-2011

Trundle! He is awesome if you practice with him a bit, he's a bit tricky at times with sludge mountain and other mechanics. Great counter jungler.

Dane Dread

05-26-2011

Wow, how could I leave out those two. I've never played either but I'll look for an opportunity to try them out and buy them if I like them.

Nocturne seems to be an excellent ganker and DPS pick for when your team already has a tank or he happens to not be banned when Amumu or Rammus are. I'm jut going from playing with and against him. I've never played him.

Shaco has a very different style that I'm not sure I'd like but I'll give him a shot when I get a chance. His niche seems to be the very early gank and free warding with JITB. I'm not sure his play style will jive with mine very well so I'm not buying him blind but I'll give him a shot when I have a chance.

Ebonclaw

05-26-2011

The more you experiment with jungling, the more you will feel like your team is gimped without a jungle, which will lead to anxiety when no one else picks a jungle, which will then lead to you becoming like me, and compulsively jungling all the time because no one else wants to.

To keep up variety, start branching out to champs like Xin, Jarvan, Fiddle, Cho, Yi, Akali, Irelia. If you build a Flat Armor + IAS rune set, you can jungle almost anyone, though it mostly opens up a second tier of junglers who are quite capable - it gives you access to a number of others, but they'll have a rather slow start in general, like Jax and Teemo.

Hwa Ryun

05-26-2011

Trundle ganks hurt like ****, what are you talking about? He's one of the top junglers at the moment.(with all the counter jungling going around)

You forgot Nocturne.

Dane Dread

05-26-2011

It often feels opposite at my normal elo, you end up gimping the team by trying to jungle. Most of the time the enemy team has no jungler and your team has nobody capable of playing a 2 v 1 lane.

Dane Dread

05-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ashandarei25 View Post
Trundle ganks hurt like ****, what are you talking about? He's one of the top junglers at the moment.(with all the counter jungling going around)

You forgot Nocturne.
I did forget Nocturne. Doh!

I'm not saying Trundle is a bad ganker. I'm just saying Amumu or Rammus would be better with their hard cc and strong late game roles as tanks. It's all speculation as I haven't played Trundle.

Roel Yento

05-26-2011

Trundle is not to be underestimated. He is excellent at breaking up enemy team, chasing, escapes, reducing enemy ad, and making enemy tank softer.