Where is the Black Man???

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Zeta

08-30-2009

Quote:
Resident Evil was never racist for not including black zombies, but the second RE5 comes out, whoo boy! God forbid there's black zombies (not really zombies in that game, but my point stands) in Africa!
No, RE5 was racist for having you fight spear-chucking African savages in loincloths, having the African sidekick's alternate skin being a cavegirl, and having puzzles that required you to burn the bodies of a bunch of black people in furnaces to pass.

And you white boys have no idea what it's like to grow up and not see a single fictional character that's like you in any way. Do me a favor and list off all of the heroic characters that are NOT white heterosexual males - and who are usually if the setting includes Christians - Christians. You can count them on your hands. And the ones who are playable character in video games even less so. Who are the black heroes of gaming? 50 Cent and CJ from Grand Theft Auto. The latinos? Non-existant. The gays? Nadda. All you got are Asians, white people, and Asians that look like what people. But that's OK, because you never think about it because to you being a white heterosexual Christian male is what's normal, and thus heroes are just assumed to be that, and everyone different is just a background character or bit player in your life.

That's OK, because white=normal, and black people= some weird fantasy race like Orks, I guess.

I guess I should be grateful that Asians founded the damn videogame industry so at least THEY get included in settings. If Nintendo had been a US company, you'd NEVER see anybody who wasn't white in a video game.

If you wanted black Champions, Guild War's Elona-style fantasy version of Africa would be the tasteful way to do it.

Commodore Frank

Adjudicator

08-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
No, RE5 was racist for having you fight spear-chucking African savages in loincloths, having the African sidekick's alternate skin being a cavegirl, and having puzzles that required you to burn the bodies of a bunch of black people in furnaces to pass.
Like it or not, tribes like that still exist in Africa today. Some people are just oversensitive to these kinds of things.

Also...there's no point where you have to burn a bunch of bodies in a furnace to pass. But hey, if there happened to be a game where you had a burn a bunch of white bodies, that wouldn't be racist, right? People need to stop caring about race, period. Humans are humans, no matter how you look at them.

Zeta

08-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Commodore Frank View Post
Like it or not, tribes like that still exist in Africa today. Some people are just oversensitive to these kinds of things.

Also...there's no point where you have to burn a bunch of bodies in a furnace to pass. But hey, if there happened to be a game where you had a burn a bunch of white bodies, that wouldn't be racist, right? People need to stop caring about race, period. Humans are humans, no matter how you look at them.
Like it or not, you're probably white, so you don't have to care about discrimination. Other people DO. You don't have to think about it or understand it if you don't want it. You have that luxury. Other people do not. WHITE PEOPLE HAVE THE LUXURY OF NOT THINKING ABOUT RACE BECAUSE THEY HAVE MADE THE WORLD CONSIDER THEM THE "NORMAL" RACE. They are the "humans" to the rest of the world's dwarves, elves, orks, and hobbits - they have made themselves the baseline by which all other races have been judged.

White people "not thinking about race" really means that they still consider themselves normal and only think about themselves, with all other races being on the peripheral of their minds, if they're included at all instead of being actively hateful - and since white people control most media, especially industries like video games, that leads to no non-white people ever, and other groups have to settle for **** like Tyler Perry's tower of excrement to get entertainment in which they can relate to.

Imagine if you will, if every human character in the Warcraft series was black. You'd be FREAKING OUT, and probably would have passed it over as "some black video game series". But you're the majority, so you never have to deal with that situation, ever.

Please watch these videos:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gw8DkSmJDOg

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Dhopx...eature=related

I think he puts it better than I could.

Koslomac

08-30-2009

Zeta if you didn't like any super hero because you can't "connect" with them because they are white then you are racist too.
I don't care what color your skin is what you believe in or with whom you go to bed every night (or day), if you are a good person you are a good person, if you are a ****** you are a ******. Stop looking for hidden meanings everywhere.

Zeta

08-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kosta View Post
Zeta if you didn't like any super hero because you can't "connect" with them because they are white then you are racist too.
I don't care what color your skin is what you believe in or with whom you go to bed every night (or day), if you are a good person you are a good person, if you are a ****** you are a ******. Stop looking for hidden meanings everywhere.
You think some little black or hispanic kid, looking for heroes that he can relate to, looking for people that he can aspire to that are LIKE HIM - looks up at the Justice League or the Avengers, and sees nothing but white people, doesn't feel bad? You go and tell that little kid he should be able to look past the skin color. You tell that little boy it's just COINCIDENCE that there's no hero that looks like him - you swear! But it's funny that it's always the non-white people who have to look past the skin color to find heroes. He's getting a message, intentional or not: "People like me can't be heroes". And it's not overt racism, because that's the easiest to deal with. It's more insidious - it's racism of short-sighted people not thinking about anybody but people like them.

Name some famous black superheroes. Green Lantern? He's one out of twenty or so different people that were Green Lanterns and not even the most notable one. He only got put into the cartoon because the writers were AWARE of this problem. Storm? That's pretty much it. Hispanic superheroes?

Now name for me, if you will, some non-white, non-Asian fantasy heroes. Go ahead. I dare you. Or a black or hispanic video game hero that isn't a criminal in some way. Please, I'm dying for an answer.

Commodore Frank

Adjudicator

08-30-2009

Thanks for linking those videos Zeta. That guy brings up a lot of interesting points, and I'm definitely checking out his future discussions. The thing is, what I got out of them is what I already know about society.

Minorities tend to be oversensitive.
Majorities tend to be undersensitive.
People are *******s.
People are stupid.
People like money.

People make white heroes in games to relate to the majority, which will give them the most money in return. Sure, it pisses off the minorities, but money talks, and they really don't care.

Honestly, I wish the entire world population was just grey so people would stop *****ing about such trivial ****. Yes, racism is bad, and it's still a relevant issue, and there are definitely times when people should cry out about it, but I'm sick of minorities going out of their way to point it out in the smallest places, causing conflict that otherwise wouldn't have happened. This is a large part of the problem!

The kicker is...
It's a video game, and it's someone's creative vision. It's their fantasy world. If you don't like it, just don't buy it. There's no need to cause senseless conflict over it.

Anyway, I've spoken my mind, so I'm done here before things get too heated. I don't want to make any enemies here. This subject is far too touchy.

Driath

08-30-2009

Personally, as a hispanic person, I typically dislike most comic / video game portrayals of hispanics and would rather many didn't exist. Since most of the mainstream industry is non-black, non-hispanic, the characters that do come out are typically littered with stereotypes. If I want to read a comic about a hispanic super hero, I'd rather get something created by a hispanic company. Of course, these characters aren't famous in America, but that doesn't mean I had nothing to look up to as a child.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_black_superheroes
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_Latino_superheroes

Modnar

Adjudicator

08-30-2009

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zeta View Post
You think some little black or hispanic kid, looking for heroes that he can relate to, looking for people that he can aspire to that are LIKE HIM - looks up at the Justice League or the Avengers, and sees nothing but white people, doesn't feel bad? You go and tell that little kid he should be able to look past the skin color. You tell that little boy it's just COINCIDENCE that there's no hero that looks like him - you swear! But it's funny that it's always the non-white people who have to look past the skin color to find heroes. He's getting a message, intentional or not: "People like me can't be heroes". And it's not overt racism, because that's the easiest to deal with. It's more insidious - it's racism of short-sighted people not thinking about anybody but people like them.

Name some famous black superheroes. Green Lantern? He's one out of twenty or so different people that were Green Lanterns and not even the most notable one. He only got put into the cartoon because the writers were AWARE of this problem. Storm? That's pretty much it. Hispanic superheroes?

Now name for me, if you will, some non-white, non-Asian fantasy heroes. Go ahead. I dare you. Or a black or hispanic video game hero that isn't a criminal in some way. Please, I'm dying for an answer.
Black Panther is one of the most badass superheroes in the Marvel Universe (Black Panther is also one of their best selling titles), so badass is he that he has single-handedly taken on the Avengers and won. Storm, again on of the most powerful X-men, also black. War Machine, black. What you don't tend to see is black villains, because people would have a **** storm.

Hispanics are probably the most under represented demographic in media, but you don't see them causing a **** storm about it.

This reminds me of when people were pissed there are black zombies in L4D2. The game takes place in New Orleans a city notorious for being kind of creepy; haunted buildings, voodoo, etc etc. Perfect location for a horror game. New Orleans also has a very significant black population. People were pissed that you have to kill black zombies, made no mention that there were also Hispanic and White zombies, killing black zombies is wrong though.

So I'm confused... Blacks want equal representation in video games and whatnot, they get it, and then they ***** because black people are killed in games? And the whole **** about RE5 was ridiculous, how many people of any color were actually offended by this, other than the *******s that put themselves on a moral high-horse and look for anything they can to ***** about. This was no different than the idiots in PETA getting pissed because you can kick chickens in Fable.

Television constantly makes fun of Jewish people, but its okay, all in good fun because they tend to be white. And all Italians are slobbish, greasy, dim-witted mobsters. And southerners, well, **** they are never stereotyped as being white, inbred, morons. Oh an if there's ever a gay, handicap, or mentally challenged character in any form of media they almost always white, because clearly you can't be black and handicapped that would be twice as offensive! White people get it too, just no one cares.

The Poj

08-30-2009

Well this could all be fixed with a Biggie Smalls Champion. His ultimate will fake his own death.