Veigar help

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Count Kaiser

05-25-2011

Right, so I want to get really good with Veigar, but I keep running into mana issues early game. Some guides suggest using deathfire grasp, while others insist upon Archangel's staff. Basically, what I want to know if this.

What would be optimal for Veigar? What runes, masteries, and items do I buy? In what order do I buy those items? How should I play him in a lane, passive or aggressive? What summoner spells work best with him?

Greyfeld

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-25-2011

You can always run MP/5 Seals if you're having mana problems in the beginning. When I play him, I always take Meki Pendant as my first item, for the mana issues. Honestly, since he has such a weak early game, you should only really be concerned with last hitting, and not really worry about harassing much at all, because you'll burn through your mana really quickly trying to do both.

That all said, you can get Tear of the Goddess first, but I wouldn't bother trying to upgrade to AA until later. Putting off DFG for any significant amount of time severely gimps your burst damage potential.

Furnosaurus

05-25-2011

I play veigar a lot

Deathfire is your massive nuke item and you should be building it but I used to feel your pain regarding early lack of mana...

best option I have found is take clarity pure and simple...

if you use two /4 casts of q in your first level to last hit for ap...

I don't get w until level 4 and then I don't use it...

the idea is basically:
1. get mid lane.. you need more xp and last hits than anyone to be the nuke you can be
2. b sparing take q most with e alternating.. max those two with your ult in between
3. w is a nuke but only once you get good at landing it.... play say 3 intermediate bots games and just get stun ring and w ... to force yourself to land it.. you'll soon get used to the timing etc...

contrary to popular opinion I feel veigars massive nuke is in his q... with a short cool down and adequate mana it destroys...

9/0/21 (take improved mana regen/ 3 mana per5/ 5% more mana in your masteries

Runes wise I go for two options depending on how I'm going to play

FULL magic pen is for late game / making sure you still do big burst and early kills...( quints MP/ reds MP BLUE MP... )

but my caster set and has been for a long time is
Magic pen REDS / flat cd yellow / flat cooldown blue / flat cooldown QUINTS

(you start off with 22.45 cd.. meaning your deathfire will leave you with 37.45% CD which is as close to maxed as I need)

With deathfire
your combo is as follows...

Q/Deathfire/ stun/ W/ q /ult..

or on stun deathfire then q / then w just ahead of where they are leaving to... because they will break stun if you put it on them... due to timing. and finish with ult...

forget anyone who says take.. ignite

clarity tele and that kind of build and you will destroy with one item...

Deathfire first completed... you need the active
then sorc boots
mejais if you're really gettin kills or more commonly Rabadons deathcap
rylais for health / slow
after that is up to you... (voidstaff means you will always kill them..)

gl mate he's one of the best fun to play in the game

Master Troll NA

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Recruiter

05-25-2011

early game try to just build up ap with Q, and mana issues are covered with mana regen yellows and some utility mastery. i wouldnt get a any specific mana regen item for him, except arch angels

Count Kaiser

05-25-2011

Mana regen seals...

Would I take the flat mana regen seals or the scaling mana regen seals?

And is clarity a necessity on Veigar? I still want to run flash for escaping, so the main spells vying for clarity's spot would be ghost and teleport.

Master Troll NA

Recruiter

05-25-2011

I usually get mana regen per level, as they are good as flat by level 6. Basically if you run out of mana to the point where you cant last hit with ur Q to build up AP, it means you are wasting too much mana on using Meteror drop that miss enemy heroes and stun circles when you over extend. Early game veigar isn't good, so just get Mana regen/ level seals and build up your Ap.

Sorbon

05-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Count Kaiser View Post
Mana regen seals...

Would I take the flat mana regen seals or the scaling mana regen seals?

And is clarity a necessity on Veigar? I still want to run flash for escaping, so the main spells vying for clarity's spot would be ghost and teleport.
Flat, they are better for early game where you're having the issue.

Clarity is the opposite of a necessity on Veigar: it's a waste. Play to his passive and work on MP5 items.

Early on the only real trick to it is you don't use W and you only use E to escape or gank. Use your Q to build AP by last hitting. If you're not auto attacking you can get an awesome base +AP really quick.

AA plays against his passive, so I generally won't get that on him at least not till very late. Build his MP5 without building his max mana much. A Morello's + DFG gives all the CDR you need and a considerable chunk of mana.

Lately I've been experimenting with a Philostone into the whatever-the-hell with tenacity. It's very nice early on, but late game it seems like getting CC'd means dying anyway.

biomorph

05-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sorbon View Post
Flat, they are better for early game where you're having the issue.

Clarity is the opposite of a necessity on Veigar: it's a waste. Play to his passive and work on MP5 items.
I would disagree here.
The scaling surpass flat at lvl 6-7 which I why I would not recommend them. I use clarity for the sole reason of being able to charge Q as much as possible early game. The reason is that early game is your best chance to farm Q at least in terms of time spent sitting tight and last hitting. The second reason is that I level up Q before E which is a controversial topic in it self but I do so because of better early game harass which is around lvl 6 when i begin poking with Q and soften them up for a R which again takes a lot of mana.

But to the OP as a avid Veigar player I would recommend the following:
HP quints, MPen marks, MR5/lvl seals, CDR glyphs (pretty standard caster)
9/0/21 Masteries (also pretty standard caster)
Flash + Clarity

Skilling order: R->Q->E->W
This is a single target cookie cutter instagib build.
For more AE damage: R->W->E->Q

W is a very important skill in team fights and you want to add some duration to it asap.

My typical progression is:
Start with Meki + 2 HP pots
First return Kage's Luck and Sorc Boots
Second return DFG

To do this you need to:
#1 play extremely safe
#2 do not waste any mana on harassing (at least the first, say, 6 levels).
#3 last hit efficiently!

Next farm Deathcap and Rylai's

biomorph

05-25-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by Furnosaurus View Post
With deathfire
your combo is as follows...

Q/Deathfire/ stun/ W/ q /ult..
Don't do that ....

Hitting them with first Q negates the effect of DFG nuke. Further if you want to land a good W then you should drop it before doing a edge stun with E.

So ideally you do the following:
W->E->DFG->R->Q

If done right W is the last one to hit and is what ensures a kill if they survived DFG, R and Q.

That said this is not easy. You need to be able to #1 be good at landing E such that your enemies get trapped on the edge right as you cast it and #2 be able to predict the direction of your enemy (will he charge or flee and if so in what direction).

LostRaider

05-28-2011

Veigar was my first main champion, so I have some decent experience with him, although it's a shame I rarely get to play him these days since everyone locks in ap and I have to either tank or tanky/dps jungle. Don't get me wrong, tanking has become my favorite lately, but sometimes I like to wreck havoc with dark space magic.

I don't have any mana regen runes, and I manage just fine, even without archangel's staff. Start with a meki pennant usually. Use your mana to last hit with Q. Also, don't even bother with W early game, it burns your mana quickly. Leveling up Q and E is your priority, with R when you can. I get my first point in W at level 7 or 8, at which more team fights may happen, or I have the ap to use W to kill the wraiths.

Also don't devote too much on harassing the enemy till around level 5. Bring him down to around half hp or a little more, and hit 6 and flash ult. That ult does more damage than most think it does.

DFG seems to be made for him, especially when you can create ap out of nowhere (late game DFG with 1000 ap does 65% of their current hp, and has possible potential for more). I do not finish it right away though. Kage's and fiendish codex is enough until you get into some worthy team fights.

Just my two cents, and it works very well with my play style with him. Just remember that you are one of, if not the most squishy champs in the game, but a good Viegar will never get hit in a teamfight, unless they have some crazy balling fed tank that charges through the team, and you out.