Ranged Tanks?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Xienwolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-19-2010

It seems that by the distinction of the tags on characters, either you are tank, or you are ranged. I understand the need to have higher survivability on melee since they have to get right up into the action, but what would be so wrong with having at least ONE tank who has a ranged standard attack? Make him have a low attack speed like Alistar, and a low damage like a mage or something if you need to. His job is to take damage, not dish it out.

Main reason I ask for one is just that I am frequently willing to try playing a tank for my team when we don't have one in our pub group, but each time I wind up dead because I am too accustomed to being ranged in the early game or when being chased/chasing.

I8C SRS FACE

03-19-2010

The issue lies in the fact even low damage and base attack speed can be corrected with relatively few items, therefore no matter what this guy's abilities are, he or she'd end up being a ranged carry instead.

Tristana is about the closest thing there is to a ranged tank right now. If you build health and damage mitigation on her, she can actually take a few hits and start fights for the rest of your team.

tCOperator

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by I8C SRS FACE View Post
The issue lies in the fact even low damage and base attack speed can be corrected with relatively few items, therefore no matter what this guy's abilities are, he or she'd end up being a ranged carry instead.

Tristana is about the closest thing there is to a ranged tank right now. If you build health and damage mitigation on her, she can actually take a few hits and start fights for the rest of your team.
I was going to suggest that Annie qualifies, since many of the good build use RoA/etc., which buff health/mana/AP.

Mind you, Mordenkaiser-Buns is short-range, but he is ranged and a tank, and Singed has a ranged ability, and most AP Gragas builds seems to follow a pattern similar to the good Annie builds. I totally agree that trying to balance a highly survivable ranged character would be difficult and largely unsuccessful, though.

WhitemageofDOOM

03-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xienwolf View Post
His job is to take damage, not dish it out.
How is it the guy safely in the back is tanking again?
To tank your gonna need to run into the enemy pack anyways, might as well just be a melee hero.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xienwolf View Post
Main reason I ask for one is just that I am frequently willing to try playing a tank for my team when we don't have one in our pub group, but each time I wind up dead because I am too accustomed to being ranged in the early game or when being chased/chasing.
If your dying, and your team mates aren't then your doing your job.
If they waste 10k damage killing you then that's 10k damage not dealt to your team mates.

P.S.: Don't chase, greed kills.

StretchyStretch

03-20-2010

Ranged tank? Thats would be as op as having a ranged stealth champion...

Dessim8

03-20-2010

On a similar topic, why are there no assassin/tanks. We have melee mages and even tank/mages, why not tank/assassins?

RHINO Mk II

03-20-2010

Anivia+GA tank! YESSSSS u are cannots kill me nao.

Heh heh heh

OoeyGooey

03-20-2010

I think that a ranged kinda tank would be good if done right. Also the same for a assassin/tank.

For a ranged tank the obvious choice would be a literal tank, appearance simular to corki's helicopter thing. His innate passive would allow him to do damage by running over units. this would make it a viable for him to move into crowds. a slow attack speed with low damage, can be easily fixed by items, but with this type of character giving a ability to add splash damage to base attack would be a good touch to the concept. the other abilities would be AoE's that center on the champion, thus making a good idea to get into crowds, and survivability ones too.

A assassin tank, would obviously need stealth and abilities that get into into the middle of a group quick. But the others can maybe be a effective taunt or something to increase armor that scales with the number of units in a range. His ultimate can be a grapple where he holds onto a champion and a percentage of damage he should be taken is givin to the held target. This would be most effective against tower sitting.

PhailRaptor

Adjudicator

03-20-2010

Morgana says hi.

Kriptini

03-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PhailRaptor View Post
Morgana says hi.
Cho'Gath too.