Riot Games is hiring a System Administrator

First Riot Post
Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

congalong

03-24-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by White Blood View Post
Are 13 year olds allowed to do this??
Really?

On a side note, I'd totally apply but currently still learning/training CentOS/RHEL. =/

0 Genesis 0

03-24-2010

Hi Riot..

Im not very smart, but i can lift heavy things..

Get back to me.

genesis

RyuuKitten

03-24-2010

I talked to hohums about it before. I might apply down the road. Too risky to move across the country for you guys given this is your first title.

Quote:
Originally Posted by congalong View Post
Really?

On a side note, I'd totally apply but currently still learning/training CentOS/RHEL. =/

Take an RHCE class, learn it pretty **** fast that way. Just sayin.

Fawlcon

03-25-2010

My dad has been in this business before most of us were born.

However he said he doesn't really know linux system administration.

25 years of experience thrown outta the window. Ah well...

Muddy Waters

03-25-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0 Genesis 0 View Post
Hi Riot..

Im not very smart, but i can lift heavy things..

Get back to me.

genesis
I'd definitely hire you.

devilan

03-25-2010

While I read this thread cause it's funny, I did think a few posters actually were trying to be serious.

Just a bit of advice to all you guys in college taking some sort of course in CS, it's worthless.

Nothing you take from college will help you in a job like this.

To be a successful admin you need to be a hacker at heart who can adapt to anything and learn anything via your own ways and means.

I know you might be doubting that, but I have been doing this **** for over 15 years, working on everything from small networks to ISP/Hosting/SaaS to my current position for a large gaming company, and if you don't have the ability to quickly learn, adapt and solve issues both in networks and systems, you are just setting yourself up for trip on the failboat.

Take a good hard look at the requirements and ask yourself can you really do it?

Don't read something like:

"Share 24/7/365 on call production systems critical problem responsibilities"

As a simple task, because believe me it isn't.

When they say:

"Experience working with Linux (RHEL4/5, CentOS4/5, Ubuntu)"

They are really saying are you RHCE level?

"Take an RHCE class, learn it pretty **** fast that way. Just sayin."

BTW that's some lolz since RHCE class isn't meant to teach you anything, it's like saying take a SAT class, it's purpose is to help you focus your already existing linux knowledge into what Redhat expects you to know, and yes I have passed it.

Also can you setup a system in your sleep without ever looking at walk through, or can you fix a random issue or trouble shoot why the socket count is too high?

"Scripting and programming skills (shell, awk, perl, php)"

Can you build out a system like puppet or cfengine? write backup scripts? push SVN changes to few hundred servers?

"Experience working with high-capacity, internet-based infrastructures"

Ever touched a BGP router before? ever used OSPF? Spanning-tree or other infrastructure protocols before?

While I could probably do this job, I'm not interested in living the LA area, enough traffic where I live now, not to mention relocating is a pain.

But mainly wanted the guys who think the job is easy or fun, I can guarantee is far more difficult than they are giving it credit for.

RyuuKitten

03-27-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by devilan View Post
W"Take an RHCE class, learn it pretty **** fast that way. Just sayin."

BTW that's some lolz since RHCE class isn't meant to teach you anything, it's like saying take a SAT class, it's purpose is to help you focus your already existing linux knowledge into what Redhat expects you to know, and yes I have passed it.
I would agree with you, but if you already have Linux Knowledge, then the best way to learn the quirks of RHEL/CentOS is by taking an RHCE class.

Well aside from you know, getting thown into the fire and having someone telling you to use it. That makes you learn pretty ****in fast too.

Quote:
But mainly wanted the guys who think the job is easy or fun, I can guarantee is far more difficult than they are giving it credit for.
Easy? No. Fun? I dunno about you, but I like -my- job as a sysadmin. If it isn't fun for you, consider a different job? Perhaps a Dev or something?