Katarina - Questions/Suggestions

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

liketheplague

03-19-2010

I've been getting into Katarina a little bit recently and I just have a couple of questions and possible item suggestions. Please feel free to correct me if I'm wrong about the suggestions.

First of all, if you had Lichbane or Sheen, and used Shunpo, would the attack from the Shunpo use the Bane/Sheen bonus damage? I haven't had an opportunity to try this out, and didn't want to throw it into a build in a regular game incase it does not work like I think it does. I suppose it would be useful once you have Rylai's and you could chase and get that next hit.

Now, I was playing recently and the game went long and found that my ult wasn't hitting quite as hard as I'd like, so I decided to throw Void Staff and Abyssal Scepter into my build. I noticed this made a drastic difference and gave more AP than Zhonya's ring at that point. So does the Magic Armor penetration Void Staff and the Magic Armor reduction aura from Abyssal Scepter work together with Kats ult? I went into it thinking they did, and it did seem to give a huge buff in damage from my ult.

Also, I was just playing a game an hour or so ago and had Spirit Visage, but the other team had some good stuns that seemed to get focused on me, so I was wondering if trading in Spirit Visage for Banshees Veil would be viable? There's more magic resist and if those stuns aren't piled onto me instantly then I'll get to keep firing my ult that much longer. I understand part of the reason for it in the build is to reduce cooldowns, and being relatively low level (21) and not having the IP to stack CD runes it is useful, but I don't know how significant of a difference it is, I'm still able to get kills without th 12% CD reduction

Sunstrike

03-19-2010

GENERALLY AP kat has a build somewhat like:

-dorans shield
-mejaj
-rylais

From there on, you focus on a variety of things, banshee veil is nearly required (I have no idea why spirit visage is even on her recommended item list, never seen a purpose for it on kat) at some point in time. Lichbane doesn't add damage to shunpo, but you generally hit whatever you shunpoed to immediatly after the teleport, so you should still get the lich hit.

Death lotus deals magic damage, and like all magic damage is midicated by magic resist. Items like void staff and abysal remove magic resist, and thereby greatly increase it's damage.

Also stacking cooldown reduction on kat is fairly useless IMHO. Generally you won't get more than one chance at a death lotus a fight regardless of your cooldown reduction. Her passive reduces the cooldown by 15 seconds every time you get an assist or kill, and the total cooldown is incredibly short (60 seconds). Because of this death lotus is almost always up when you need it without cooldown reduction.

Yes Maam Kablam

03-19-2010

In regards to your shunpo question, the damage from shunpo counts as damage from a spell, so it will proc sheen/triforce/lich bane, but you'll have to land an auto attack to get that bonus damage.

All your other questions require math that I'm not willing to do, but keep in mind that Banshee's is pretty expensive and Kat has to dump a lot of gold into offense if she wants to do damage with her ult. The best answer is probably to suck up to a Morgana player.

liketheplague

03-19-2010

Thanks for the info.

Yes, my item build usually starts with a race to Mejais and Rylais, however instead of Dorans I just get an Amp Tome and Health Pot, which seems to give me good enough survivability. If I'm failing in the farm department (aggressive hard caster presence in lane) I'll end up dropping some cash into a pair of Lucky Picks.

I figure I'll be leaving Lichbane out of my build, I don't really have room for it and an extra bit of damage on my hit after Shunpo doesn't seem worthwhile, or at least until late game (even by then my chasing Shunpos are either a kill or not even close, there's never been a time where a bonus attack would've scored me a kill)

Well, that's great to know for the Death Lotus, I'm wondering why it's not suggested in more builds.

The CD reduction, in the guide I read seemed to be more about using Shunpo every 3 seconds, for about 300+ damage, which seemed important to the guide writer, but I still get plenty of kills with my 5.5 second CD.

liketheplague

03-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by inthesto View Post
The best answer is probably to suck up to a Morgana player.
Hahaha, I'll keep that in mind. Better than blocking 1 skill every 30 seconds, that's for sure.

Sunaka

03-19-2010

Don't ever ever ever ever (Continued) build spirit visage unless you're actually benefitting from the 30% hp regeneration it gives. (Mundo, Soraka, Bull)

And even then, might be a bad idea.

In reference to void staff and abysal: Yes they do. They both give AP, so therefore, 30% of that is tagged on. Additionally, their MR is reduced ( I can't remember exact numbers) then another 40% of their magic resist is ignored. Now, unless the players have built some kind of resist, they're taking full damage from your ult (Which should be 65+30% of 140 or something, i can't remember exact numbers).

I would only get zhonyas really really late into the game honestly. I prefer to balance survival with offense.

liketheplague

03-20-2010

Yeah, that's what I figured, ad last time I played I forgot about Maijais, but was sitting at 270 AP by the time I had abyssal+void.

If they're taking the full damage because of resist reduction and penetration (even more for Sorc Boots) they're taking about 150 damage 9X over 3 seconds. Not too bad.