[Guide] Soraka guide!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

April Shaw

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-19-2010

Hey guys, this is just a little guide to how I play Soraka, who is currently my main. I'm no authority on Soraka, I'm not extremely high Elo, but my last 20 or so games as Soraka I've been undefeated she's pretty broken now.

First off, this build is one I never run in solo queue. The reason for this is simple, I don't run Soraka in solo queue; I don't trust the other players, lol, so I usually go Rammus or Sivir or something.

Alright, with those said, on to the guide.

Introduction

The theory behind this build on Soraka is that, AP isn't really necessary and magic pen, attack damage, whatever are all *far* from necessary. I build her for nearly full survivability. She's a team fight/push champion and this is what's most important to me.

What does she bring to a team, and why should you play her?

Well, for one, Soraka doesn't require Flash/Exhaust/Ignite/whatever because she doesn't need to go for kills. She is probably the single best team fight champion (well, Kayle might be better; Fiddlesticks too, but serves a completely different purpose). She will keep you in lane forever and is almost immune to harass. She can walk out of ganks at near full health. She can save your team members from anywhere on the map with Wish. She can lower the magic resist of nearby enemies and raise yours; it makes a pretty big difference, too.

Why shouldn't you play her?

There is almost no reason not to have Soraka. She isn't great for solo queues though, and she can't turn someone into a tank, though she comes close lol. She gets very low kills and your teammates will think you're bad in a lot of situations. But w/e, you'll win!

Runes/Masteries:

My rune book is, admittedly, not the best for Soraka. I run Magic Pen reds, HP/level Yellows, CDR/level Blues, and Mana Regen/level Quints. Ideally I'd probably go AP/HP/CDR reds, HP or HP Yellows, CDR blues, and move speed/exp quints. For masteries, I generally go 9/0/21. 9/21/0 is good too, or 0/21/9. Always grab EXP and mana regen masteries where you can. The tier 1 AP mastery in offense probably isn't worth it, go for crit instead, then CDR then magic pen. In defense, just... do defensive stuff. Go for dodge over the physical damage- one if you go 21 in def though.

Skill build:

Q is starcall, W is astral blessing, E is infuse, R is wish.

If early game is really tough,
R > W > E > Q always

If it's so-so,
R > keep W and E equal > Q, but get 1 in Q around level 3~5.

If it's really easy,
get 1 in W, then max E > Q, get R at level 10/11.

Summoner spells:

These are up to preference. I personally go Clairvoyance/Smite (note, I don't jungle, I farm creeps with the Smite + mastery). I don't like Heal, Clarity is ok but not necessary. The best would be Clairvoyance/Rally/Fortify/Smite, whatever your team doesn't have already. Smite is good to have for farming and for stealing Jungle buffs. The other day, I stole Baron with it ^^

Items:

Always, post-buff, rush leviathan. I always start with a ruby crystal now, and leviathan is my first item. It's ridiculous. Afterwards, merc treads if they have any hard CC (stun, fear) or a lot of soft CC (silences, slows). If not, boots of mobility or swiftness; your choice. After this, it really changes depending on your team. My team almost always revolves around heavy AoE and team fighting, so I go Aegis of the Legion, Abyssal Scepter, then Rylai's and more tanky items (warden's mail/thornmail if they're physical heavy, banshee's/warden's if they're about even, banshee's/quicksilver if they're magic heavy). AP is a side bonus, I usually only get it if I get Rylai's. Mana isn't necessary imo. Guardian Angel is always nice too.

Playstyle (the important part):

Always try to stick with a team. Once you've gotten Aegis of the legion, you have absolutely no need to get gold, it's just helpful. Try and soften up targets with starcall. Each hit lowers magic resistance, which is the main reason you want it (despite what I said above, I never really get more than one level). Push when you can. Tower diving is safe with you in a lot of situations, and you can get a tank to go stable on towers around level 14~15, if they get a spirit visage. 5 man roaming is essential to Soraka play; she is not a gank friendly champion. But if your opponents are lacking a solid heal, or good tank, or decent AoE, Soraka can really emphasize the holes in their team composition.

In team fights, the most important part of Soraka play, know who to focus. Make sure your team is topped off before engaging, so you don't have to waste an infuse on a teammate. Target the person on their team with the most dangerous abilities. If they have a Katarina, Fiddlesticks, Karthus, Nunu, or someone else who has a spell that channels, use your silence to interrupt it (note: with Fiddlesticks and Karthus, you must get them as they're channeling). If you get focused, your team is probably winning. But if it looks like you're going to die, throw out wish even if people are close to full, better to use it, the CD isn't all that long. If someone else is getting focused, don't blow wish unless you're confident they'll survive til the end. Especially if you're up against a lot of AoE, you might need it to live through that instead.

Always be trying to push post level 11, when everyone has their second level ult. Anytime someone on their team tries to backdoor, push the same lane when possible and push faster. Also remember, as the support on your team, it is YOUR job to buy wards and place them well. You need to be watching key locations on the map; Baron, Dragon, Lizard, Golem, and jungle entrances near where you want to push. If the ward leads to even one kill for your team, it's much more than worth it. For this reason, filling up your item slots can almost be a disadvantage. Also, don't underestimate elixirs; sometimes, an elixir of fortitude (for the HP) or brilliance (CDR/AP) will last long enough for one final push to win.

This is just general strategy, but if you win a team fight (3-5 of them dead, 1-2 of you dead) and cannot get an inhibitor out of it, kill Baron. Baron is a game winner.

Again, and I can't emphasize this enough, you want to push. If you kill 4 people and get aced, but get a tower (late game) or 2~3 (early game) out of it, it was worth it. If you can get an inhibitor, even better, because that shuts down their map control. So just remember to push. If you're losing in kills 20-30, and you're up on towers, you're in a good situation. Just keep on roaming, keep everyone topped off (NEVER stop healing, this build is light on Starcall so you shouldn't run out of MP), get towers, get Baron if you can, and win

Good luck and have fun

CarbunkleFlux

03-19-2010

General question; if you don't prioritize AP, there any reason you don't bother with Spirit Visage? It's a large buff to your healing ability and comes with a hefty Magic Resist bonus on top of it. Seems like it'd suit your build perfectly.

GoGoGadget

03-20-2010

My soraka build is simple:
Its: Make the tankest hero in the game with lots of auras and can heal your team and make your team win teamfights.
Soraka is, if built properly,
The tankest hero in the game. If I die ONCE in a game as soraka I am always very dissapointed. Last game my team fed, I soloed bot as we had a jungle warrwick, first blooded mord and died once due to a lvl 4 gank.
You do not need any tank but soraka on your team if you play her properly.

My items:
RUSH soul shroud. This item is the one item you MUST have as soraka. CD reduction and mana regen for you and your team, nice amount of health.
Boots, either ninja if their team is full dps, mercs if theyve got some cc, and mobility if theyre a walkover.
After this I get spirit visage, also a must, it increases her normal heal (on her) the same as 100 AP would, which is more expensive and gives none of that tasty magic resist. Also increases her heal/sec due to cd reduction.
After this Aegis of the legion is a really good item to get to help your team (unless theyre 4 casters), gives you tank as well.
Here is where to mix it up a bit, wardens if enemy team is dps based, banshees if they are spell based.
If you havent won by then, rounding it off with a guardian angel is a good idea. If you are finding that tanking is easy, rylais is also an option here, starfall rylais slow is lol.

ALWAYS flash/heal. Heal is absolutely essential on soraka, in those teamfights I cannot count how many times its turned the tide of them, and flash is for flashing to either get away, or flashing towards someone escaping the fight to infuse them. Clarity is useless, thats what infuse is for.
My build is everything BUT starfall. One level maybe at 4, but apart from that pure infuse/blessing/ulti. Soraka is NOT a damage dealer and the magic reduction of starfall is the same at level 5 as it is 1. Ap sorakas are TERRIBLE, the second worst way to build soraka (apart from dps.) because you just die, run out of mana (90 mana from starfall each few seconds is taxing)

Last game I kept our whole team alive in 75% of the teamfights, and tanked 4 of the enemy team, on my own, from the river to our mid tower in the base. If you can't do this as soraka something is wrong, or they have too many stuns/silences.

Im only level 22, and have mainly ap runes, but working towards some cd reduction ones, armor would also be nice.

Gatsumon

03-20-2010

My Soraka is a jack-of-all-trades kind of build.

-Inverting Locket (provides some healing whenever you use an ability + making her a little less squishy)
-Boots of Mobility (allows you to get from one side of the map to a teamfight quickly)
-Nashors Tooth (provides some CDR, AP, and some AS, although it is really negligable AS boost)
-Aegis of Legion/Rylias for additional lowerd squishiness + either an aura, or slows on the enemy

EatingBurger

03-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGadget View Post
...Soraka is NOT a damage dealer...
Woah there.

In my opinion, the skills you get should be completely based on who you're facing. Starcall is a wonderful early game harass, and is a great source of income. Furthermore, people generally underestimate its power, and I've actually gotten a good number of early kills using it.

As a rule of thumb, if they fear the 'fall, I level it up to 2 or 3, and gain full dominance of my lane. If they can survive early harassment, I keep it at level 1 and focus more on utility.

E: Boots of speed + clarity is usually what I use for early starcall harass, fyi. The speed helps a lot.

GoGoGadget

03-21-2010

One level of starfall at maybe level four. Then no more till the very last few levels. It has a VERY BAD mana to damage ratio,
you need to LOSE either your heal or your mana/silence to get it early
you need to go AP to make it useful
if you go AP then you instantly die because you're at close range and are useless, want an ap hero go ryze or kayle

As a wise man once said,
"starcall is good for harrassing because enemies see stars falling on them and back.... then they realise it does no damage"

April Shaw

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarbunkleFlux View Post
General question; if you don't prioritize AP, there any reason you don't bother with Spirit Visage? It's a large buff to your healing ability and comes with a hefty Magic Resist bonus on top of it. Seems like it'd suit your build perfectly.
Spirit Visage doesn't buff outgoing heals, only incoming. My goal isn't to tank damage lol.

To the other guy:

I pretty much always run with a tank, which works much better for me. At higher Elo matches people always run with plenty of disables, so, ability based tanking is a lot harder lol.

Chaoticon

03-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoGoGadget View Post
One level of starfall at maybe level four. Then no more till the very last few levels. It has a VERY BAD mana to damage ratio,
you need to LOSE either your heal or your mana/silence to get it early
you need to go AP to make it useful
if you go AP then you instantly die because you're at close range and are useless, want an ap hero go ryze or kayle

As a wise man once said,
"starcall is good for harrassing because enemies see stars falling on them and back.... then they realise it does no damage"

Actually it has a very good damage to mana ratio, considering I can take out an entire creep wave with two casts....It also does a nice amount of damage and goes up with everycast in a teamfight. The debuff helps your other team members so instead of someone having to get abyssal they can maybe take rylais.

TheFrehsman

08-07-2010

dude someone stole your build

http://leaguecraft.com/strategies/gu...Support+Soraka

people who do that should be shot!!

EDIT: ok WTF i found another one

http://www.solomid.net/forums/index....-soraka-guide/

dude i would be pissed