Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

Magic Penetration or Ability Power

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Greevès

03-19-2010

Hi All^^

Using any magic based hero with pretty much a straight AP build; what is likely to get me the most overall damage on average(just from ability attacks):

1) As many Ability Power runes as possible

or

2) As many Magic Penetration runes as possible

?

Thanks for the assistance people XD

xahhfink6

03-19-2010

(Edit, somehow this got posted in the wrong thread)

xahhfink6

03-19-2010

Quote:
Axelay Duke:
Hi All^^

Using any magic based hero with pretty much a straight AP build; what is likely to get me the most overall damage on average(just from ability attacks):

1) As many Ability Power runes as possible

or

2) As many Magic Penetration runes as possible

?

Thanks for the assistance people XD

Sorry to double post, but to address this question - Mix and match. Glyph's get better numbers for AP, and depending on the kind of character go either Flat or by level (AP/level is better at about level 9 i believe, so it depends on how much damage you want to be doing during the laning phase)

Marks get penetration as primary, so they should definetely be in Magic Pen...

As far as Quints, Flat AP will get the most damage early game (before enemies begin to get 50+ MR), MPen will increase your damage by the highest %'s mid/late game, and AP/level quints are useless... honestly though you would be best off buying HP quints with most casters

Voidgolem

03-19-2010

Mpen gives you more damage overall unless they're at 0 MR, in which case AP's the way to go.

*shrug*

wildfire393

03-19-2010

Quote:
xahhfink6:
Sorry to double post, but to address this question - Mix and match. Glyph's get better numbers for AP, and depending on the kind of character go either Flat or by level (AP/level is better at about level 9 i believe, so it depends on how much damage you want to be doing during the laning phase)

Marks get penetration as primary, so they should definetely be in Magic Pen...

As far as Quints, Flat AP will get the most damage early game (before enemies begin to get 50+ MR), MPen will increase your damage by the highest %'s mid/late game, and AP/level quints are useless... honestly though you would be best off buying HP quints with most casters

Mixing AP Runes and MPen runes give you better damage very very early game. However, the better your spells get, the better MPen runes get, while AP runes stay exactly the same (in most cases, there are a few spells that get a "higher" AP ratio as they level due to more bounces/more ticks/etc, but even then). This is because MPen increases your damage by a percentage, while AP is always flat increase. AP/Level runes are pretty much never worthwhile, as by the time they "break even" with flat AP runes, Mpen will be more effective anyways. There are very few champions I would even recommend flat AP runes on (they'd have to be champions that want to harass/nuke early as hard as possible but latergame fill a different role. That, or champions with non-damaging AP-scaling abilities).

Greevès

03-19-2010

Ok Thanks guys very helpfull.

One other thing, does AP or MP have a cap as to the %increase u can get at any point?
eg u can only get plus 100% MP or summin?

Im thinking i will prolly go mostly MP runes and maybe a AP runes if the particular runes seems to offer more than its AP counterpart.

Im fairly adept at avoiding damage and the champ ill be using it with mostly is Ezreal so i have good range and escape capabilities so I'll pass on the HP runes thanx for info all

anything else i should know?

Squee Goblin Nabob

Recruiter

03-19-2010

Think about how difficult to get Magic pen is compared to ability power. A full page of magic pen is going to be around 25 this will give you a nice boost in damage for the entire game. Almost enough to be fine with. If they stack MR then get a void staff. If they don't then you have their MR down to a nice amount.

PatMcGroyne

03-19-2010

It depends on your characters AP ratio's for example on Fiddle I would go AP because he already has some magic pen and his AP ratio's are pretty good.

Ideally a combination is good.

Edyll

03-19-2010

Almost without exception, if your primary damage spells are level 2 or higher, MPen is the better choice.

If the enemy has <30MR, MPen basically adds 1% more damage per point. As long as your spells do more than about 100 damage, MPen is the better choice. Once you have level 5 spells dealing 300+ damage, MPen is WAY better than AP.

This only breaks down once the enenmy gets more MR. If the enemy has 100MR, MPen effectively only adds 0.5% damage per point.

Sunaka

03-19-2010

Quote:
Squee Goblin Nabob:
Think about how difficult to get Magic pen is compared to ability power. A full page of magic pen is going to be around 25 this will give you a nice boost in damage for the entire game. Almost enough to be fine with. If they stack MR then get a void staff. If they don't then you have their MR down to a nice amount.

Magic pen runes are only 20.

I highly suggest magic pen runes btw. AP runes will give you a nice amount, but in the long run, magic pen will do more for you (Sorc shoes + that = 39, which should ignore most people's basic amount of magic resist)

Also all the items you're going to build will most likely be straight AP. I rarely find myself building a void staff. (My shoes and runes do that for me!)

You could maybe fill the rest with start hp runes (Theres no magic pen for yellow) or something of that nature to give you a stronger start.