Help! Out of My League

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Runix

03-19-2010

I've been playing for a few weeks now, and am already ending up in games stacked full of lvl 30 players with 200+ wins. The problem: I'm lvl 13 with 20 wins. I don't want to be in their games, and I am sure they don't want me to be in theirs.

How did this happen, and is there anything I can do about it? My win/loss is around 20/18, so I don't know why I got bumped up so quickly. I don't want to intentionally lose games, as that would be unfair to my teammates, but this is not a good situation to be in. I am up against players with more than twice as many Runes and Masteries, and consequently am feeling very vulnerable. My current strategy is to play a tank, load up on HP and armor and MR, keep Cleanse and Ghost available, and try my best to survive fights while getting a few hits in.

Will the MM eventually figure out that I am not a high-level player, or am I stuck with this situation, or is there something I can do about it without deliberately sabotaging games?

LargeTurd

03-19-2010

stop sucking

thats what my soccer coach always told the team

Quicktim3

03-19-2010

stop slobbin on the knob and start doing better

Sedon

03-19-2010

The more you games you play, the closer you get to where you need to be Elo wise. Remember though, if you're seeing 30's, chances are they're bad. Don't give up hope.

Saffire

03-19-2010

Eventually you should balance out, but if you've been playing against level 30s for several games now and still have a 20-18 record, you're doing pretty good anyways.

Casters are very powerful at lower levels thanks to their CC and non-reliance on runes/masteries for damage. Play somewhat defensive and try to set up kills for your team; even if you're not doing a lot of damage (though you probably will be), your team will love you forever. Once you hit about level 20 you should be able to fight more evenly.

Warrition

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

Adjudicator

03-19-2010

Sounds rough. Do you really feel like the other players are significantly better than you, or is it mostly a runes/levels thing?

Here are some things you can do:
-Make sure you buy tier 1 runes now, all the way through level 19. Tier 1 runes give over half the benefit of tier 3 runes, and cost less than 10% as much.
-At the beginning of the game (not in the lobby, or else you'll probably get dodged), explain to your team that you're newer. This way you can set expectations early.
-It's possible that you got boosted above your true current Elo due to a (un)lucky streak. If the other players in your game are really all better than you, then you'll have some painful games while the MM adjusts. Accept the pain, and try to learn what you can.
-You mentioned that you're playing a tank. While this is sort of the right idea, the tank is actually the most important part of a team (other than maybe the hard carry, depending on Elo). If your team thinks you are "The Tank", you will have a lot of frustrating games if you truly are of a lower skill than the rest of your team. My advice, honestly, is to try playing a caster and stacking rods of ages. Annie or Nunu might be good for this, or even Sion (since he's usually not the main tank).
-While ghost is awesome, flash is probably better for newer players. I suggest getting teleport and flash for now, using your teleport to try to make sure you don't ever lose lane experience early. Experience -- along with last hits -- makes a far greater difference in the game than summoner levels and runes do.
-If all else fails, and you're really too frustrated to continue, create a new account. As you learn and improve, you'll eventually be able to go back to your main account.

Good luck, and hang in there!

Spit Bucket

03-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quicktim3 View Post
stop slobbin on the knob and start doing better
hahaha

what he said lol

Runix

03-19-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Warrition View Post
Sounds rough. Do you really feel like the other players are significantly better than you, or is it mostly a runes/levels thing?

Here are some things you can do:
. . .

Good luck, and hang in there!
Thanks, helpful suggestions. The runes/levels thing is definitely a factor; I have to be very careful early game because the harass hits me hard, etc. By late game, I've had a chance to at least close the gap somewhat through items; if I stay alive.

Playing a caster is a good thought, as that will keep me out off the front line. It will have to be a slightly tank-y caster, however; maybe time to go back to playing Nunu.

AGCrew Bloodwolf

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-19-2010

Another reason why u might be getting paired up with Lvl 30s is that at the time you play there are not many players your level, so it pairs u up with the next highest pick.