Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[GUIDE] A guide to Solo'ing Mid, Who should do it and why...

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

EasymodeX

03-19-2010

Teemo is a weak mid because Teemo is a weak champ. In other words, there's little purpose for him to do so (beyond the fact that he's so weak that he has to

He has some decent ability to dodge ganks, but has little escape capability outside of summoner spells.

The only thing he counters in terms of harassment is noobs. Most competent players will trade off more HP per engagement than Teemo. Teemo wins when people attack through blind pointlessly, and when people trade off the exact same hits that he does (because his has a DoT attached).

Teemo's best solomid harass game is to force the opponent to trade off an even sequence repeatedly, where Teemo's blind + poison DoT will drain more HPs (and then Teemo can retreat and life steal HP back).

However, this strategy fails against anyone who is equipped / prepared to throw down and re-engage Teemo after his blind, balls-forward, and drop his HP into critical range. At that point, Teemo is unable to lifesteal his HP back and he has lost control of mid.

It also fails against anyone that can block his blind (cough Sivir) and anyone who can trade off nukes through his blind and autoattack (Annie). Basically any champ that can be aggressive while dodging or minimizing the blind will beat Teemo, or any champ that has durability that sustains them beyond the blind.

Basilisk9466

03-19-2010

Funnily enough, I was about to do something like this. Some of our conclusions are the same, others are rather different.

When I go into mid, I categorise my opponent as one of three types - a 'Harasser' (ie. Tristana, Teemo, to some extent Yi), a 'Leveller' (ie. Karthus) or a 'Fill-in' (ie. Nunu). It's a question of what the opposing team had in mind by putting them there. A harasser will probably stay there, trying to actively win the lane and take down the tower. A leveller will hit 6 ASAP and then do what they do best (although a Karthus will usually stay there and just Requiem occasionally). A 'Fill-in' was put there because they couldn't come up with anything better.

And yes, I've seen a Nunu in mid. I was playing Tristana. I don't think he got a single last hit in. My team subsequently got steamrolled. I think that's a good demonstration that some champs just shouldn't be put in mid.

My personal top three ranking is Karthus (the boy needs a level advantage), Tristana (queen of harrassment), Fiddlesticks (pretty much the only thing I fear as Trist).

Phoez

03-19-2010

The only thing missing is that Jax is probably the best solo mid atm...which is a pretty big hole in your analysis come to think of it.

BDod6

03-19-2010

Veigar wins at mid. I'm disappointed there was no mention of him in your guide. The only champs I've found very difficult in mid is Annie and Kass.

A good Annie can match Veigar in burst dmg and Kass's powerful silence makes it difficult for a caster to face him.

Veigar should be considered in this guide.

cybrcld

03-19-2010

Quote:
nicosharp:
Gragas mid.

It's funny, but no, far better champs can solo mid, please stop making me solo as gragas. /eom

made me lol : ).

PatMcGroyne

03-19-2010

Okay so I read your guide and I think you have underrated Nidalee's Ult... It gives her huge DPS and makes her the best chaser in the game... Karthus solo mid is kinda dumb once karthus's ult is gone he is useless even though his aura does good dmg you can kill him quickly because he needs to get super close... Fiddlesticks is a good choice but he can do it in a lane and soloing mid isn't that much more beneficial for him so that is also not a wise choice...

As for Annie she is good but any player using cleanse will avoid her ganks and any player using flash will also avoid her easily...

You forgot about sivir... Sivir is THE best lane pusher hands down anyone who disagrees hasn't played her... She has natural survivability with spell shield and her ult wrecks towers. Yeah Ganks are good but at the end of the day whoever pushes the turrets and breaks the nexus wins and sivir is the best. Today I played a game and it was twitch Vs. sivir in mid twitch hit lvl 6 and started ganking twitch ended up 27/4/10 but it really didnt matter because we killed twitch once and broke 3 turrets and 3 inhibitors before he spawned. After that we just ran away and let him try to deal with the minions spawning 2 super creeps per wave and they just couldn't deal with it so we marched in there base and busted the nexus in 4 seconds.

Twisted fates map control is being greatly underestimated as well. No one dominates a map like him and because of that no one can gank better. He has a stun and a huge range AOE. he can harass without even being touched and whatever does hit him a few pots can take care of.

Because of this I would rank
1. TF
2. Sivir
3. Nidalee (Map control burst damage and heal/atk speed buff yes please)
4. Annie
5. Zilean (Early game bombs are wicked and don't draw aggro can't go wrong)
6. Ashe (Can be switched with zilean)

Twitches ult isn't devastating at all. Cleanse, flash and then go back when ult wears off and kill him. When fighting nidalee or sivir cleanse doesnt do much for you because they don't have a slow and they both run much faster than you so if you flash they will still catch you. The only thing twitch can devastate is noobs because they don't get wards or oracles.

Your tips for what to do at lvl 6 are also off especially for the characters you are giving priority. You don't want your karthus switching lanes for ganks because anything he can do in person he can just do from the middle lane.

I main Nidalee and honestly I haven't had a problem mid with any champion. I love free twitch week because twitch is so squishy if I can get close to him he dies and because I use flash i can get anywhere on him and kill him in under 2 seconds easy with pounce swipe takedown from 3/4 health and you will be lucky to have that much HP because Nidalee can out harass anyone in a lane because she can just sit at tower and heal herself 2 or 3 times and then come harass you some more while you are still where you were before.

I'm not saying other chars aren't viable as mid I'm just saying with two people of equal skill on two teams of equal skill these characters will out shine the rest when played to potential.

RHINO Mk II

03-19-2010

Cho for solo mid. Take flash, harass until level 6 with rupture, then flash and eat. Works 15% of the time (the other 85% being where you fail miserably and have to eat minions instead.)

Aregionius

Senior Wrenchman

03-19-2010

I think you also might want to take in to account starting item synergy for certain champions. Especially with solo laning, the ability to stay in-lane is huge on reaching that level 6 ultimate early, so champions that build towards early life-tap or catalyst tend to have a slight advantage over someone who's trying to grab a mejai's or other non-survivable item.

The Promise

03-19-2010

Cho is a very viable solo if you are good with him, but there is almost always a better option, and most Cho players are awful. Having a carry mid >>> having a tank mid.

I make most champs look silly when I solo as Nid. She can harass very well and he heal gives he impeccable sustainability despite the nerf. (Just start with Doran's Ring and watch the mana flow.) Once you get your ult harassing gets even easier. You would be surprised how much damage a Pounce > Swipe > Takedown combo can do even if you don't get a kill. Kills are easy because of the amount of burst you have, and you can turret dive.

The only problem with Nidalee is that if she is not soloing she is not nearly as powerful simply because she needs cougar to really become a powerhouse, and the faster she gets that the better.

Azing

03-19-2010

That guide kinda sucks. Really Cho by far is one of the best solo mids, since he forces the other mid individual to have to play defensively. Chances are its a carry which allows cho to easily get a kill should they try to play aggressively. His E ability gives him a ranged attack while meleeing letting him hit nearby ranged champions if placed right. Each kill gives him health negating the damage the ranged might cause while rupture is down.

Really though when it comes to solo mid, its all based on the other team. By far though I find that if you got a good Cho mid he can just deny the other team's carry. A team carry denied or killed = effectively ruining the mid advantage. Cho also works well to move over to help gank both lanes using rupture to push back and possibly get kills on champions pushing hard on other lanes.

Like I said though it requires the cho to be good. If the cho is good then expect him to farm well while denying the other player greatly.