Jungle Jax

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Thalasan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-24-2011

Ok, I know what most of you might say: Jax is better to lane than to jungle or even some of you didn't knew he could jungle. Well I think that Jax is awesome to jungle and also gives a solo, which allows faster champions development.

I'll start by talking about masteries and runes, and then how to jungle and what to build and finally how I generally play him.

Masteries:
9/21/0

I go for Attack speed for Offensive
The dodge and Attack Speed in Defensive
It allows me to get 8% attack speed from masteries and +2% dodge.

Runes:
Its pretty simple

Marks: Attack Speed
Seals: Dodge
Glyph: Attack Speed
Quintessences: 2x Dodge 1x Attack Speed

Which in the end gives me: 9,8% dodge chance/11,8% with masteries
24% Attack Speed/32% with masteries

Jungling:

Jax can start at blue buff. He has so much dodge that he can do it. The first spell that you put point in is (dodge spell). Once you are done with blue buff go for wolves, get to level 2 and put a point in empower. Got to red buff, make sure you healed enough and restored most of your mana before starting. Once your done with red buff go for wraith then golems and go back to wolves. At any time you can also go and gank but I suggest that you at least put a point in Leap Strike first. Once you get to level 6, jungling becomes really easy.
As for dragon, you need some lifesteal/spell-vamp item to get it. (Described later) And then with my build, I solo Baron at level 14 if I have the right items.

Items Build:
- Ninja Tabi (Obviously)
- Hextech Gunblade
- Hextech Gunblade
- Guinsoo's Rageblade

Thats pretty much what you need... Anything else is just for fun or to adapt to the enemy players. For your jungling starting items, I go with Cloth Armor and 5 Health Pots, using a pot at every time one runs out. Once you finished the whole jungle or when you feel you need to go back to base, try to make sure you have at least enough money to get Ninja Tabi, as it will increase greatly your jungling. Then I always go for Hextech Revolver if I can have it right off or I get Vampiric Scepter with Amplifying Tome. Once you have a Vampiric Scepter and a Hextech Revolver you can take dragon. Work your way up to the double Hextech Gunblade and then you can take on Baron. Note that Smite heals you up with Spell Vamp, so whenever you're in a pinch use smite on a creep to heal up some good amounts.

Now with Jax, you got understand that he only gets strong at mid-late game. His early game abilities are mostly harassing at most. Once you get your first Hextech, thats where the fun begins. You can easily start diving and being able to heal it up. You mostly got to learn how much damage you can heal and how much you can take before you should dive or not. The more you'll try things out the more you'll learn your threshold. When you go for Baron, make sure it's not warded by counter warding and make sure everyone else stays in their lane so that it's not suspicious. If ever you'd like so see in game how he can do, you add me (Thalasan) and I'll gladly show you.

Fell free to ask questions!

-Thalasan-

Ebonclaw

05-25-2011

1) The series of jungling nerfs reduced the number, and overall viability of junglers in the game.

2) Junglers still provide as powerful and vital a contribution as they used to - almost even more so now, since it has become somewhat more common for one team or the other to lack a jungle.

3) Jax is an -incredible- ganker with Leap Strike and red buff.

I use my all encompassing jungler runepage with Flat Armor Seals rather than Dodge, the rest all IAS. It works just fine, and provides you slightly better protection from the semi-obvious "guy gonna get an SoTD to counter Jax" that tends to come if you pull off a few good ganks in early game.

I also would not recommend a second Gunblade. The leach is pretty sexy, but you really want to maximize your damage, you go straight to Rageblade as your second item. From there, I find that I go from 'dangerous' to 'OMFG horrifying' in 1825g simply by adding a Malady on top. This pushes you to something like 2.3 Attack Speed at full ult/Rageblade stacks, and they stack FAST, allowing you to simply rip through anyone. If by chance I get to stay out in the field longer after the Rageblade, I will go Black Cleaver instead of Malady - the point being, to shred one of their defenses to maximize your damage. BC obviously will add much more overall damage, but 9x out of 10, simply adding the Malady pushes the game from 'doing well' to 'so over' in absolutely no time flat.

If you are struggling by mid game, adding something with a little survive, like Atma's, can mean the difference between getting squashed like a bug every time you Leap in, to turning the match around. But with all champs, you have to just have a sense for when you need to make yourself sturdier, and when you can get away with a pure damage build. Just remember that exploiting the HP advantage that your passive gives, in conjunction with your increased damage output, is largely the only survivability you need to build for - and sacrificing this by buying pure defensive items (those totally lacking in AD or AP) erodes your viability in the role Jax was designed for.

xahhfink6

05-25-2011

several things I would suggest you trying op..

first of all, I feel that it is really not worth going that far of defense and ignoring the utility tree... jungling without the experience buff and the neutral buff duration seems extremelly impractical, and the mana will help you greatly as well.

Secondly, if you kill the wraith camp before going for red buff then you will hit level 3 and do much better off...

Third, as far as your build, you should really try out Wriggles Lantern for a jungling tool, it would speed up your jungling quite a bit and give you early lifesteal and damage. PLUS, having a ward around as jax is always great, because you can use it to flash over walls.

Fourth, Ninja Tabi are NOT a must-have as jax... Mercury Treads, Ionian Boots, and sorc boots are all choices that are suitable options, and often would be better than ninja tabi.

Continuing on builds... rather than a second Gunblade, there are many other options... Hexdrinker works wonderfully with jax because it gives you the MR you need, and the shield with Jax's ult active makes an amazing combination. Atma's also does a great job supplying defenses in addition to damage... or if you are going AP, Rylais and Rabadons are powerful on jax.

Thalasan

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-27-2011

Thank you for all those nice reply and opinions on builds.
I guess I'll try them out and see what's best !
But seems that you guys don't think of the dodge as the best tool for Jax
Should I get less dodge to concentrate on different runes or even not getting the Tabi...?

Threpe

05-27-2011

One thing to keep in mind is that dodge from different sources doesn't stack additively. I think getting it from two sources (his E + runes OR Tabi) might be the better course. It's still enough that if you jump into a bunch of minions you should get a proc.

Ebonclaw

05-27-2011

Well you already have the Dodge runes, and they're rather expensive. You might experiment with different boots. You'll have slightly lower anti-carry ability, but you won't so much encourage the purchase of SoTD, which really tends to shut down Jax hard.

You often live or die off of your Dodges. You probably have already noticed this, which led to your current build/strat. But experience has shown that building around Dodge, rather than using it as your foundation, will give you more versatility and resilience overall. Also, Armor is typically just better for jungling, giving you a smoother damage reduction, rather than the Dodge which may or may not help you along.