[Guide] Ezreal AP Guide and Justifications

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

PrinnyPersona4

03-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razr View Post
Hmm...I like the guide however I have just a couple points of criticism:

1) Your build is 2 high cost AP items that come to about 6k, not including boots or Mejai's, which brings that up to about 8k. Outside of the 160(?) AP on the both of those items combined you're relying heavily on that Mejai's to snowball, which as we all know doesn't happen all the time. I'd recommend throwing another decent chunk of AP in there in the form of a Void Staff or other slightly lower priced AP item so that you're not floundering mid game with close to nothing if the game goes sour.

2) The majority of your damage being done in a team fight comes in bursts before your Lich Bane, which unless you're fed won't come right away. Until then your Q's damage is **** and you have no semblance of sustained DPS; you Flux, Shift, Barrage, and you're done until you get them back up with Q. Not only that but even then your Arcane Shift isn't guaranteed to hit the focused target and could end up putting you in even more danger, leaving you with just Flux and Barrage.

3) You're squishy until Rylai's, which even then requires a hefty investment of a Giant's Belt.

4) No mana regen whatsoever. Unless your team and the opponent are giving you golem all the time there's no way you can sustain spamming spells with this build; I'd recommend an early Chalice and that generally fixes most problems AND gives you a nice bit of magic resist.

Other than that it's a decent guide; I'd simply stay away from recommending 2 or 3 top-tier AP items and focus more on a build that works well when you're not so fed. I haven't played AP Ezreal but off the top of my head I'd recommend something like this:

Meki Pendant -> Chalice of Harmony
Boots -> Merc Treads or Sorc Boots (depending on Team Comp)
Sheen
Mejai's (if you're being fed and not dying)
Void Staff or Guinsoo's Rageblade (depending on whether you want to stay pure AP or go a Hybrid build)
Finish Lich Bane, work on any defensive items you may need (Banshee's, RoA, etc.)

Again, I have not played AP Ezreal so my build could be absolute garbage. However it still should get the point across that rushing high ticket items particularly on a mage with lower AP ratios and skillshots generally won't end so well.
Yeah, Rylais and Lich bane are expensive. I tried to follow this guide and it turns out you're very support oriented in team battles (so your teammates will love you and your enemies will hate you, even if you don't get any kills). You'll be running around with cat stone, sheen, upgraded boots and a doran item for a long time. Mejais is great but you're probably not going to be super fed with this build. I got haunting guise and it worked out fine for me because it gives you hp and mana regen, magic pen, and cooldown reduction for pretty cheap.

so basically you spend around 6000 for 4 mid-tier items that should keep you alive/doing decent damage until late game. Finishing lich bane/RoA/Banshees is next; rylais is great but it costs a lot. Selling the guise and doran's item will help defer the cost of these items, since by then you don't really need the mana regen - you can just help your team ace the other in one big battle and push like nuts with them; your spells aren't really necessary any more.

If you're really worried about mana just buy some pots or ask for a golem.

His W skill heals like crazy with around 100 ap(not that hard to have with lichbane or RoA), and your E skill is a pretty good nuke (try to blink behind a melee ally). You play pretty passively, healing your teammates and taking pot shots at enemies during the laning phase, and when it comes to team battles hit them with your ult before using your other skills.

Of course if you want to be a carry/Rambo/have all the glory then go AD or something. This build is a little slow (unless you get mejais and KS), but your support is amazing and by end game you support and do damage very well.

If you want to be a super crazy support, try getting locket (you can spam your Q because locket regens the mana it cost to cast). But only if you're just goofing around ><.

CaptHarlock

03-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Razr View Post
Hmm...I like the guide however I have just a couple points of criticism:

1) Your build is 2 high cost AP items that come to about 6k, not including boots or Mejai's, which brings that up to about 8k. Outside of the 160(?) AP on the both of those items combined you're relying heavily on that Mejai's to snowball, which as we all know doesn't happen all the time. I'd recommend throwing another decent chunk of AP in there in the form of a Void Staff or other slightly lower priced AP item so that you're not floundering mid game with close to nothing if the game goes sour.

2) The majority of your damage being done in a team fight comes in bursts before your Lich Bane, which unless you're fed won't come right away. Until then your Q's damage is **** and you have no semblance of sustained DPS; you Flux, Shift, Barrage, and you're done until you get them back up with Q. Not only that but even then your Arcane Shift isn't guaranteed to hit the focused target and could end up putting you in even more danger, leaving you with just Flux and Barrage.

3) You're squishy until Rylai's, which even then requires a hefty investment of a Giant's Belt.

4) No mana regen whatsoever. Unless your team and the opponent are giving you golem all the time there's no way you can sustain spamming spells with this build; I'd recommend an early Chalice and that generally fixes most problems AND gives you a nice bit of magic resist.

Other than that it's a decent guide; I'd simply stay away from recommending 2 or 3 top-tier AP items and focus more on a build that works well when you're not so fed. I haven't played AP Ezreal but off the top of my head I'd recommend something like this:

Meki Pendant -> Chalice of Harmony
Boots -> Merc Treads or Sorc Boots (depending on Team Comp)
Sheen
Mejai's (if you're being fed and not dying)
Void Staff or Guinsoo's Rageblade (depending on whether you want to stay pure AP or go a Hybrid build)
Finish Lich Bane, work on any defensive items you may need (Banshee's, RoA, etc.)

Again, I have not played AP Ezreal so my build could be absolute garbage. However it still should get the point across that rushing high ticket items particularly on a mage with lower AP ratios and skillshots generally won't end so well.
This guide is still in it's beta conditions and I still haven't put in how to play him yet. I guess I wasn't too clear on the item build section. In the Main Build, what I meant was that every build should carry these items and the conditional items were things you need to decide on to what you should get depending on the game. It didn't mean you should get rylai's first or lich bane, it just meant that each game's builds will vary. Maybe I'll clarify that more in a future update.

Also, void staff is a very good item, but it is very conditional. It's only good if they have more than 60 magic resist since haunting guise works better in that case if you have a sorc boots.

This guide is still a work in progress and yes, this build is more about burst and not sustained damage. You only get good sustained damage once you get a sheen -> lichbane, but then again, AD Ezreal only gets really good sustained damage once he gets tri-force.

baalzy

03-20-2010

Tear of the Goddess.

980 gold, very easy to farm in the laning period. Especially if you get a kill/assist with your lane partner.

350 mana, 5m/5 regen (by the end of the game you'll have +950 mana due to its unique). With 1 point in your Q ability it now essentially costs 26 mana per cast because you're gaining 4 each time you cast it. With innate regen, Tear and a Meki you regen mana fast enough that you can spam Q everytime it is up and have regenned the spent mana completely by your next cast. You now have a larger mana pool letting you cast your W and E skills as well.

I cannot stress how amazing tear is. You then later have the option of upgrading it to Archangels staff for relatively cheap AP once you've maxed out the tear (you get +64 AP from just the staff itself once you max out the mana bonus. Not counting the AP bonus from your innate mana pool and the extra mana given by lich bane). If you do this, you're not likely to have any mana problems. You'll have a big enough mana pool to get through a team fight and then heal your allies up to full after winning it (and yes, you will win it).

Try this build. Meki start, rush Tear, boots, lich (or at least sheen). Then go with whatever you want.

CaptHarlock

03-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by baalzy View Post
Tear of the Goddess.

980 gold, very easy to farm in the laning period. Especially if you get a kill/assist with your lane partner.

350 mana, 5m/5 regen (by the end of the game you'll have +950 mana due to its unique). With 1 point in your Q ability it now essentially costs 26 mana per cast because you're gaining 4 each time you cast it. With innate regen, Tear and a Meki you regen mana fast enough that you can spam Q everytime it is up and have regenned the spent mana completely by your next cast. You now have a larger mana pool letting you cast your W and E skills as well.

I cannot stress how amazing tear is. You then later have the option of upgrading it to Archangels staff for relatively cheap AP once you've maxed out the tear (you get +64 AP from just the staff itself once you max out the mana bonus. Not counting the AP bonus from your innate mana pool and the extra mana given by lich bane). If you do this, you're not likely to have any mana problems. You'll have a big enough mana pool to get through a team fight and then heal your allies up to full after winning it (and yes, you will win it).

Try this build. Meki start, rush Tear, boots, lich (or at least sheen). Then go with whatever you want.
The problem with tear is that it combines into archangel's staff, which isn't that great of an item (unless you are Ryze). Sure, it'll give you a pretty good AP boost and Mana boost, but makes you still super squishy. RoA gives you comparable mana and AP, but also gives you +600 HP and costs about the same as the arch.

I would've recommended tear, but your W doesn't heal yourself. Thus, you can't heal yourself and recover after a team battle. Also, you can just get golem or chalice if you really need some mana regen.

CaptHarlock

03-20-2010

Update: Finished the Guide............... for now......

PrinnyPersona4

03-20-2010

I just tried it. Locket sucks. it only heals 20 mana and you don't spam everything fast enough to make it worthwhile.

CaptHarlock

03-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by PrinnyPersona4 View Post
I just tried it. Locket sucks. it only heals 20 mana and you don't spam everything fast enough to make it worthwhile.
Will update my guide to remove Locket from the build. Thanks for the info!!!

ChaosGopherSucks

03-21-2010

Uh when you say AP pen marks do u mean armor penetration? i just need to make sure so I don't buy some weird mark.

Also, would you recommend leveling E or W up first?

CaptHarlock

03-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gunster View Post
Uh when you say AP pen marks do u mean armor penetration? i just need to make sure so I don't buy some weird mark.

Also, would you recommend leveling E or W up first?
When i say AP pen marks, i me magic penetration marks. Also, Q is too good to not get at level 1. I can't see a reason why you'll need to get E or W at level 1. However, if you can find some very good justification, then do it

CaptHarlock

03-21-2010

Updated guide with a few revision to fix some ambiguous statements and changed some formatting.