Solace of Eternity - new CCG!

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Jozrael

QA Analyst

Follow Jozrael on Twitter

03-18-2010

Hey all! I wanted to announce that the SoE game has been in development for over a month now. There are 2 sets (218 cards) out atm, with the third set bringing another 108 in next week. You can chat us up or find opponents on our IRC channel, since we don't really host random games of it yet. A quickplay guide will cover how to install the client and plugin, and you might also be interested in the Comprehensive Rules. It's got some pretty innovative combat that works out quite nicely in practice, even if it is a bit bewildering to people used to Magic the Gathering. The shared turns works out really, really well too.

It'd be cool to see some LoL blood in there right now. They had only like 6-8 players until a few days ago when I found out about it, and now we've got about 20 playing it pretty often

To see the current cards, check out my Dropbox.

banduan

03-20-2010

All the best, but I have to say Reason's brief explanation on the game made me a little skeptical.

hope you guys take a look at the better CCGs out there and learn from them- that pretty much only means M:tG and L5R, the only ones that passed the test of time.

Lightstriker

Adjudicator

03-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by banduan View Post
hope you guys take a look at the better CCGs out there and learn from them- that pretty much only means M:tG and L5R, the only ones that passed the test of time.
what? yugioh? pokemon? que?

and... I strongly recommend trying it. It's definitely still rough around the edges, but when you compare it to the early stages of development for games like mtg, which you listed, it's quite impressive indeed. And it has some quite fun ideas that make it interesting enough for me to be willing to overlook some of the rougher areas of the gameplay.

banduan

03-20-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lightstriker View Post
what? yugioh? pokemon? que?

and... I strongly recommend trying it. It's definitely still rough around the edges, but when you compare it to the early stages of development for games like mtg, which you listed, it's quite impressive indeed. And it has some quite fun ideas that make it interesting enough for me to be willing to overlook some of the rougher areas of the gameplay.
good spot on pokemon, a pretty solid game if a bit dodgy in terms of audience/theme. heh.

I can't say I like Yugioh at all and the game does flitter in and out of existence. I'm not sure I can see what makes it survive.

what made me skeptical was:
1) claiming there is no power creep in a game not out of initial growth phase. Makes me wonder if powercreep is understood.
2) claiming there are no filler cards when these things are inevitable as long as there is a metagame.

I'd also advice that if the rules are complicated that they be simplified from the start. It happens to every CCG out there that they revamp the game midway to simplify rules.

Is there a collectible aspect or going to be one by the way?

Jozrael

QA Analyst

03-20-2010

1: Reason is very conscious of powercreep, and is committed to not introducing it. He's not looking to make huge profits with SoE. Because MtG is strictly for-profit, to get people to keep buying it they need some certain forms of powercreep. This is not (yet) an issue with SoE.

- That being said, he's ALREADY expressed difficulty in coming up with set idea. He said the first set was a breeze to design, while the second took a bit of effort - some of his ideas overlapped too much with the first set. The third set is proving more difficult still.

2: By filler cards, he meant cards that are useless or just repeated from previous sets.

3: The rules are fairly simple, and they are being modified (slowly). As more and more people play it, more issues are brought up. 95% of the rulebook changes are clarifications, but we have brought to light minor modifications that have been introduced.

4: It is eventually intended to be a physical collectible game. As of now it's purely online, and obviously unlimited cards.

Andromansis

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-20-2010

How does it stack up against Elements?
elementsthegame.com

Lightstriker

Adjudicator

03-20-2010

elements is heavily reliant on farming, and deck work is 99 out of 100 times based not on actual good decks, but instead on ways to try and exploit shoddy ai and weaknesses in known decks.

Plus, the game is... rather shallow. Yes, it's still quite fun and enjoyable, but if I was going to be critical of it, the following is what I would say.

pandamine

Adjudicator

03-20-2010

The thing I love about SoE is the fact that it has one of the best combat phases out of any TCG, its very strategic and also has a lot of depth in terms of surprise and baiting.

Also SoE is not designed to generate money, as has been explained before. New sets are only released when the current set is balanced and there aren't going to be fillers. A card in the first set will be useful all up until later

Jozrael

QA Analyst

03-21-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamine View Post
has a lot of depth in terms of surprise and baiting.
Absolutely my favorite part of it as well. Going "JK, FIZZLE" and having something particularly sneaky up your sleeve as a result (sup warp ambush or w.e) is always fun

Jozrael

QA Analyst

03-25-2010

Demise of Light, the third set for SoE, has been released! This brings the total unique cards in the game to 339 (Spore Hive finally got the love it needed!) We'd love to have you join us in #soe.