Kog Maw's Ult Scaling: A trap?

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-24-2011

I noticed that scaling for Koggies Ult has gone to 0.5 for AP AND for AD.
I can't help think this is a newb trap.

His ult deals 160 per hit or 400 vs champs.

previously it took 400/0.3 = 1300ish AP to double his ult's damage. When compared to the typcial 500AP = double damage point, you could see that AP was an awful way to go. Focusing on artillery is kind of bad anyways. Use it, but you really need a secondary way to deal damage thru your autoattack.

Now 800AP is enough to double his artillery making it MUCH more viable. That 0.2 is a HUGE gain. Will AP Kog make a comeback? Even with this boost, if one takes AP and focuses on artillery instead of his barrage autoattack, he will be weaker.

The AD scale is interesting. Kog typically goes with magical damage sources since his artillery and puke carpet do it, as well as Bloodrazor and his Barrage. So he usually penetrates magic and goes with Malady, Wits End, Sword of Divine, Bloodrazor, etc.

I wonder if people will try using more standard AD items with Kog? Phantom Dancer, Inf Edge, etc.

The final trap is the caustic spittle. It still has awful range and I can't help but think noobs will try to use Spittle FIRST and then start attacking their target (and die horribly). When you have a 1000 range puke, a crazy range Ult, and a 750 range autoattack, initiating with a 625 range spittle seems like a terrible idea.

I forsee bad koggies in the near future... What yaw think?

Platypus Fuin Jr

05-24-2011

Man, this adjustments are really good.
If the enemy got near you and you throw the spittle and starts attacking, if he can't face you, he needs to take all your range of damage. Without counting the slow on the ground.
yeah, it's an isolated case. But it happens a lot.

Anyway, noobs are noobs man. They'll do lots of **** until learn playing. And kog has a high difficult playing scale, noobs usually stay away from choosing him. Actually, it seems that everyone don't choose him, but no problem! I like him!

Well, I think it's not going to change so much things for kog. Except what you said: now we are more attempted to use "pure" physical damage kog.

Let's see what **** is going to happen! =D

Lorifel

05-24-2011

All the more reason to try pure AP/Mpen glass cannon build now =)))
Which was hell of a fun even before the said buf.

konfetarius

05-24-2011

And nevermind all that.

They didn't buff the AP ratio on his ult at all. It was a typo.

muusbolla

05-24-2011

Also the range on caustic spittle was apparently buffed. So you are completely off-base.

Warrrrax

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

05-24-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by muusbolla View Post
Also the range on caustic spittle was apparently buffed. So you are completely off-base.
Learn to read. They buffed it from 600 to 625. Big freaking deal as I already compared to his 750 autoattack range, 1000 range puke, and way longer range ult.

Xeoshire

05-24-2011

I honestly don't feel like it will change him very much, with the fact that his ult now stacks on ad aswell as ap, people will be even more confused on what to build on him. EVERY game I see a kog there is a different build no one can seem to build him properly, or even play him properly imo. This "buff" is just going in encourage more people to try him out and try different builds on him, and that is what Riot was probably going for in the long run anyways.

Oozra

05-24-2011

what s the best way to build kog than ?

(honest question , not a flame)

I tried the ap kog , and it s a blast . But your oppenent soon learn how to dodge your ult and start to do skirmishes instead of big 5 vs 5 fight .

How do you raise an AD kog ?

ZestyJesty

05-24-2011

First of all, unless your building AP koggy, then your first two items should definitely be Madred's Bloodrazor and Frozen Mallet. After that, your build diverges, but if you want to go AD, then i would suggest getting a Black Cleaver (for AS and Armor shred) followed by a Bloodthirster.

The base damage of Living Artillery is what i'm used to when i go AD, so the extra damage from getting AD will hopefully be meaningful. I'll post later today when i get a chance to play (at work currently).

I main Kog'maw, and i think these changes aren't really going to change my build or gameplay very much at all. The only difference in my gameplay is that i MIGHT consider actually using my Q now if i get bumrushed. Before it was completely useless.

Redenbacher

05-24-2011

I don't think it changes his effective build much, but increases the versatility of heavier focused AD builds. I still think that MPen is incredibly valuable on him as the bulk of his damage will always be largely magic, but now AD is more valuable since at least half his skill set (Q passive and R) help AD scaling.

With a core of, say Sorc Shoes and Malady, you could then transition to AP/AS, or to AD/Crit, or AS/On-hit. It allows you to carry in many different situations and not be hard-countered by simply a little armor or MR.