Welcome to the Forum Archive!

Years of conversation fill a ton of digital pages, and we've kept all of it accessible to browse or copy over. Whether you're looking for reveal articles for older champions, or the first time that Rammus rolled into an "OK" thread, or anything in between, you can find it here. When you're finished, check out the boards to join in the latest League of Legends discussions.

GO TO BOARDS

[Guide] Gravan's Guide to Ezreal

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Gravan

03-18-2010

Last Update: March 20th
Version Mk. III

Author's Note: This guide is a work in progress. Bear with me over the next week or so as I fill it out in a proper fashion.

Author's Note 2: I put forward strong opinions in this guide. If you disagree with Ability Power Ezreal, or don't like the way I've written something, please keep it to yourself. Feedback is good, whining and nitpicking are not.

Introduction:

Ezreal is a wonderfully fun mage-style character with some hybrid elements. He is a highly mobile champion capable of outmanoeuvring enemies and some interesting stratagems, along with a strong burst game and a solid damage per second presence (but not in a physical damage sense).

This guide focuses on building Ezreal for Ability Power. The reasoning behind this is (!!! WARNING !!! STRONG OPINIONS AHEAD !!! HARDHAT REQUIRED !!!) that Attack Damage flat out fails; if you think otherwise, feel free to continue being wrong and deluded . Finally, this guide only briefly goes over Runes/Masteries/Summoner Spells as I don't feel those truly belong in hero specific guides - they are more general information.

Skills:

Passive Skill - Rising Spell Force
Hitting a target with any of Ezreal's abilities increases his attack speed by 15% for 5 seconds (Max Stacks: 5).

This skills lets you do some more physical DPS. Don't be fooled into thinking this makes him a great Attack Damage character. It is his only physical damage steroid, and a poor one at that. 75% attack speed is more easily availible on many other heroes, and doesn't require five targets to be hit by spell damage beforehand. This skill allows certain hybrid items (such as Guinsoo's Rageblade and Nashor's Tooth) to be useful on him. Personally, I don't get much use of this outside of pushing towers, as Ezreal could be doing far better damage slinging one of his many spells out. Also, auto-attacking puts a squishy hero a little too close to the fray.

First Skill - Mystic Shot
Ezreal fires a bolt of energy dealing 40/60/80/100/120 plus 100% of his attack damage as physical damage (applies on-hit effects).
Ezreal's cooldowns are reduced by 1 second if Mystic Shot hits a target.
Cooldown goes down by 0.5 Seconds per level (Starts at 6 Seconds)

30/35/40/45/50 Mana

Great spamable skill. The gigantic range on this move lets you stand quite far away from a fight, hopping in and out in order to use other skills. Synergises excellently with a Lichbane. This is a fantastic skill for harassment, last-hitting and cooling down your other skills (especially the Ultimate) more quickly. When spamming this ability, you can easily cut huge swaths of time from Ezreal's already short cooldown ultimate. In fights, shooting this spell constantly (with your Lichbane) will do some nice damage and cooldown other abilities quickly. Last thing to note, it actually cuts a second of its own cooldown if you hit with it, making it even more spamable.

Second Skill - Essence Flux
Ezreal fires a fluctuating wave of energy, damaging and reducing enemy champions attack speed, as well as healing and increasing allied champions attack speed. Ezreal fires a wave of energy that heals all allied champions and damages all enemy champions it passes through for 75/125/175/225/275 (+0.6). Affected ally and enemy champions have their attack speed respectively hasted or slowed by 20/25/30/35/40% for 5 seconds.
Cooldown: 10 seconds
80/90/100/110/120 Mana

Medium-strong nuke, made powerful by its Area of Effect and healing properties. The attack speed buff/debuff is a nice touch, but hardly the reason to use this skill. In a fight, it isn't too difficult or rare to hit around three or four people each time this ability is fired, resulting in a large amount of healing, damage and buffing that shifts the battle in your favour. Additionally, this move can be used to greatly extend pushes by healing your allies - then spamming Mystic Shot to do it again sooner.

Third Skill - Arcane Shift
Ezreal teleports to a target nearby location and fires a homing arrow at the nearest enemy unit dealing 80/130/180/230/280 (+0.75) magic damage.
Cooldown: 17 seconds
(Goes down by 2 per level)
100 Mana

This skill is awesome. Like, really awesome. High damage with good scaling, low cooldown and it blinks you to a location. Proper use of this ability will make or break your game as Ezreal. This ability allows you to deal high burst damage to enemies, run away or chase. Because of this skill, you should be have one of the lowest death counts on your team. Note that the range on the 'homing arrow' is about the same range as the blink. That is to say, from the spot you appear at (after blinking) you will fire the homing arrow about a blink's distance to the nearest enemy unit. Great for tower diving low health heroes, as you can blink in (killing them) then leave while only taking a very small number of tower hits.

Ultimate Skill - Arcane Barrage
Ezreal channels for 1 second to fire a barrage of missiles dealing 350/500/650 (+1) magic damage to each unit it passes through. However, it deals 8% less damage for each unit it hits (Minimum 30%).
Cooldown:100 seconds
150 Mana

First off, the skill description is a little misleading. Basically, what this skill does, is it causes Ezreal to cast for one second, then fire off an energy wave that travels across the entire map. This allows one to get some amusing kills now and again from low-hp heroes who are tower hugging - be sure to keep an eye out. Don't be too afraid to try some risky shots like that, because the cooldown is quite short if you are spamming mystic shot. That said, don't waste it trying to be a ninja, and for the love of god, don't use it to farm creep waves. Please. This skill is fantastic to use during team fights in the inital moment when everyone is clumped up. It is really easy to hit with because of its infinite range and quick casting time - you don't need to be right in the fight to fire it off. Also a wonderful skill for getting the last hit on a hero who 'got away'. Not to mention the good scaling. An extremley satisfying skill to use correctly, and an easy-to-use, high damage Area of Effect.

Runes
I am not a big fan of rune-recommendation in guides, so I'll just tell you what I use and why. I use spell penetration runes, with health at level 18 in the yellow section. Dodge runes are also a nice defensive boost in the yellow section. Spell penetration is used because they will give you the most spell damage possible for a rune page, and dealing more damage is a good thing.

Masteries
Another thing I don't particularly care for in guides is a mastery outline; so I'll keep it brief. I go a standard 9/0/21 build, grabbing the spell penetration from offence, and making sure to get the buff extension and mana regeneration talents in utility. Masteries are fairly flexible (although I really do love free mana regen and longer golem buff), as long as the Spell Penetration mastery is taken.

Summoner Spells
Guess what? I also don't like this section in most guides either. Surprise! But, here is a mini summoner spells guide that is really applicable for just about any champion.

Flash is a must. There is only one excuse for not using flash, and that is not being a high enough level to have it. If you need to be told the merit of such a fantastic and game-changing ability, you need to play the game more or read some beginner guides. In any case, just get this spell.

For the second slot, I personally reccomend Teleport, Cleanse or Clairvoyance.
Teleport for laning, ganking and defending. Cleanse for escaping, and Clairboyance for gank-prevention/ganking the jungle.

That said, I wouldn't be unhappy to see any Ezreal pick any of the following:
Ghost, Fortify, Ignite or Exhaust.
Ghost allows for superior chasing and escape. Fortify is a powerful support that will save your team towers. Ignite for early game kills and healing prevention, and Exhaust for kills, defense from physical damage carries and chasing.

On the other, more unhappy, hand...
Heal, Smite, Revive and Clarity are weak in comparison, and you aren't always 'in the fight' enough for Rally. Heal and Rally are debatable: if you really like them, use them.

Skill Build

1: Get Arcane Shift at level one for the ability to blink. This could save you, or net you a kill if an enemy flashes away.
2-3: Get Mystic Shot and Essence Flux in whatever order you like, just be sure to get one point in each.
4-18: Maximize Arcane Barrage whenever possible. Otherwise, place points into Arcane Shift, then Essence Flux, then Mystic Shot.

The reasoning behind this skill build is as follows. Being able to double blink at level one (with Arcane Shift and Flash) is a very safe choice, allows you to chase as well, and Arcane shift has high damage. One point is placed in each skill because you get all the ability power scaling with just a single point. Arcane Shift is maxed first because it has the highest damage gain, as well as a large (and invaluble) reduction in cooldown. Essence Flux is maxed second because of its large damage gain and healing gained. "But Gravan!", you say in a startled fashion, "I always use Mystic Shot! You even told me to spam it all the time!". Yes, young grasshopper, you do spam this move all the time. Nonetheless, a single point is all that is needed - all one gets for levelling it is miniscule cooldown reduction and a petty amount of bonus damage. You might see some Ezreals get that ability maxed first. These people, for some unfathomable reason, hate dealing any sort of respectable burst damage. They also like to die because Arcane Shift is on cooldown, and never have Essence Flux levelled up to heal anyone.

Item Build

Core Build:
To begin the game, grab a Sapphire Stone, a health potion and a mana potion.
Next, build a Sheen and grab some Boots.
Upgrade the Boots to Sorcerer's Shoes, and build a Rod of Ages.
Now, upgrade your Sheen into a Lichbane.
This should set you up with solid mana and health pools, and a good damage base with potential for scaling.

Summary of the Core:
Sorcerer's Shoes
(Mejai's Soulstealer)*
Lichbane
Rod of the Ages

*A note on the Soulstealer:
The item Mejai's Soulstealer is an excellent item for Ezreal - provided you can get and keep charges on it. I would reccomend getting it before you begin building the Rod of Ages if you think that you can build up 6-8 charges quickly, and continue building it throughought the game. Make sure to take note of how gankable the other team is, and how good they are before making that purchase. Just don't blindly buy it every single game.

Luxury Items:

These items are items you get after the core, and depend greatly on the enemies you are facing (lots of physical damage? magic users? stunners?), who is on your team (healers and initiators? physical carries?), the other team's behaviour towards you (do they go for you immediately? do they leave you alone? does Annie always save Bear-stun for you?) and so on and so forth. For example, if your last two deaths were from Annie doing her Bear-stun, get a Banshee's Veil sooner than normal. Or, let us pretend you really have trouble surviving; grab a Rylai's more quickly. Simple things like that. Keep that in mind, and don't be afraid to deviate away from the confines of this guide. Experimentation is a good thing.

Personally, I like to build a Zonya's Ring for more damage and the nice survivability active. As well, I like to build a Rylai's Crystal Sceptre and a Banshee's veil. In general, this gives you all the damage you need and plenty of survivability. Alternately, Guinsoo's Rageblade is a nice DPS and AP item, Nashor's Tooth gives you some pleasant mana regeneration, cooldown reduction, attack speed and AP. I'd still grab the veil in most cases, too.

Summary of Luxuries:
Rylai's Crystal Scepter
Banshee's Veil
Zonya's Ring

Alternately:

Guinsoo's Rageblade
Nashor's Tooth
Banshee's Veil

Bear in mind, the luxuries are largely up to you. Just focus on getting enough survivability to not be dying (Ezreal is squishy), and get items that give you AP. Don't be silly and get a Banshee's Veil against a team without any spells, and be wary of getting the Rageblade or Tooth if you never auto attack. Build for the game you are in. That said, straight ability power while leaning towards survivability is the safest and all-around best bet.

Gameplay Strategy:

Early Game - Levels 1-9
When choosing a lane, try to grab a solo lane if you can. That said, don't take the solo away from a champion who can solo better (or benefits more from soloing) than Ezreal - there are better choices. Also be wary of who you predict the enemy team will be sending to middle and judge accordingly whether or not if you'll be able to deal with them. Of course, player skill is the most important factor, so bear all that in mind. So! You've finally gotten to your lane and are ready to start! Ezreal is an alright hero for getting early kills because of his nukes and blinking ability. He is obviously held back by his lack of a stun. Still, keep harassing with Mystic Shot and Essence Flux. Arcane Shift is a little more difficult to harrass with, and costs the most mana - don't use it unless you are certain you will hit, and the person you are hitting won't just regenerate the health back.

If you are soloing, be sure to keep an eye on the other lanes when you hit level six. It is always a nice feeling to be able to assist/get a kill with your ultimate from a different lane. On that same note, once you hit level six, you've really begun packing the power. If you can open up on a champion with Arcane Shift, then quickly follow up with Mystic Shot and Essence Flux, you will likley get a kill because they can no longer run from you at that point. Unless they can burst you down more quickly, you can simple juke around them until your blink is off cooldown, then blink onto them and use your ultimate for a kill. Also noteworthy is if you are losing the fight and the enemy chooses to tank creeps/tower dive/whathaveyou, you can turn around and kill them from a huge distance. Use your mobility and range to your advantage, always.

By the end of this stage, you should have your Sorcerer's Shoes, a Sheen, and the beginnings of a Rod of Ages/Soulstealer. If you have any deaths, you are a bad person - there is very little excuse to die this early in the game as a hero who can blink.

Middle Game - Levels 9-14
Your goal for this leg of the game is to gank, push towers, do dragon and control golem buff. Try to farm as little as possible; only do it if you cannot work towards the more important goals first. If you were the team's solo, ganking is likely your best option as now is the best time to use your level and money advantage. Ganking is also pretty simply as Ezreal, simply blink out of the bushes at such a time that the homing arrow will hit an enemy, toss your other two nukes as quickly as possible, and then fire Arcane Barrage at them. Alternately, you could fire Arcane Barrage first if you think you can hit more than one target. Getting Golem is really useful for obvious reasons, and you deny the enemy a buff. If you ever think you can do it safely, snag the enemy side's golem and save your golem. As of this writing, using Arcane Shift while engaging golem can cause golem to reset, so be careful about that as the creep will regenerate quickly. I find that blinking 'on the spot' seems to work the best. As for doing dragon, you'll need someone to help you in most cases. As with any damage hero, getting a meatier hero to tank while you help damage dragon down is a good idea. Oftentimes it is a good idea to do dragon after ganking bottom lane - downing dragon is very beneficial to your entire team. Lastly, a small tip while pushing towers: spam your Mystic shot in such a way as to keep charges on rising spell force, or to get sheen buffs when no creeps are around.

Teamfight Behavior
Now that we are in the middle game, teamfights will occur more frequently. Since Ezreal has four 'skillshots', he can be initially confusing on how to manage during teamfights. The most important thing to keep in mind as AP Ezreal (and, mind you, this changes entirely if you go Attack Damage for clear reasons) you want to stay as far away from the fight as possible while still hitting with all your spells. Normal attacking isn't as important as not being attacked yourself. Try to use up your longer cooldown abilties first (Arcane Shift and Essence Flux) and use your ultimate as soon as you can hit the majority of the enemy targets. Spam Mystic Shot all day and all night. If all your spells are on cooldown, position yourself for your next available spell, or try to safely land some auto-attacks. If you think the fight is going uncontrollable against your team, save your blink for an escape - you can often afford to be the last hero to run away. Do not flee prematurely, and lend your support as long as you can. On the other hand, if the fight goes in your favour and the enemy team breaks and runs, be sure to blink right in and finish off the enemies. Focusing on healing after a teamfight can prove to be very beneficial, and allow your team to continuing pushing. I've seen many Ezreals who don't heal enough. Healing is very beneficial to your team, be sure to do it as often as possible - especially since you've built for Ability Power!

(To be continued, tired of writing for right now)

Final Note:
For those of you that read all of (or nearly all of) this guide, please leave a comment - especially if it has to do with errors in the guide or any way in which the guide may be improved. Negative comments without any suggestion for improvements will are not welcome. Thanks. Also, up-rating is appricated.

03-18-2010

This isn't even a guide. This is more "Well... these are what his abilities do, and these are the runes and items I like to use but I'm not going to really tell you why".

You've played 9 games with him and you feel you've mastered him enough to educate others?

Darkest Dawn

03-18-2010

Very nice guide.

Two questions : Why don't you mention exhaust anywhere in your summoner spells, and what's your reason for avoiding an item like Mejai's? I find it snowballs ezreal extremely well, bringing him into lategame with 4 nukes each hitting for between 300 and 600-700 damage.

Gravan

03-18-2010

Quote:
Meta:
This isn't even a guide. This is more "Well... these are what his abilities do, and these are the runes and items I like to use but I'm not going to really tell you why".

You've played 9 games with him and you feel you've mastered him enough to educate others?

The amount of games I have played has no connection with the quality of the guide. The guide is what the guide is. I could have played one game, but if the guide I wrote was the best there was, it would still be the best there was regardless of the fact that I had only played one game. You can thank me for pointing out your logical fallacy and destroying your argument, if you like.

Additionally, it is really just bare bones right now. Not even in Mk. III - for anyone who likes the guide thus far, if you check back in sometime soon there will be far more detailed information on how to behave in teamfights and in the various stages of the game.

Ronoh

Adjudicator

03-18-2010

The fact you think Attack Damage Ezreal fails makes this entire guide invalid. Didn't read post the intro.

Ponies Gonna Pwn

Recruiter

03-18-2010

You're aware that Rising Spell Force charges based on units you hit, not spells casted, right? One Arcane Barrage or well aimed Essence Flux can fully charge the ability.

SleepThieff

03-18-2010

Quote:
This guide focuses on building Ezreal for Ability Power. The reasoning behind this is that Attack Damage flat out fails; if you think otherwise, feel free to continue being wrong and deluded.

You make this statement, then make no effort as to explain your reasoning behind the statement. Please explain WHY "Attack Damage flat out fails."

As an asside note, i think attack damage is much more useful for EZ than ability power, for multiple reasons.

First, his passive increases his attack speed A LOT, and as mentioned in the above post, one can reach 5 stacks of his passive with one ulti shot or a well aimed essence flux. His passive is powerful. Do not discount it.

Second, his main spammable nuke, "Q", is based solely off physical damage, and NOT ability power. Stacking attack damage will make your Q much more effective. An EZ CANNOT spam W, E, or R, as these all have fairly long cooldowns when compared to Q. But EZ he can spam Q from a very safe distance.

Third, stacking "E" aka "Arcane Shift" for more damage is not effective. When you blink, it hits a RANDOM TARGET, you do not get to choose who the missle hits. Unless it is a very rare case where there is only 1 target on the screen, the damage on this ability is fairly useless. I personally believe this ability is only good for the blink, and the "homing missle" it shoots is simply just an added bonus that sometimes works.

That is all for now.

Darkest Dawn

03-18-2010

Quote:
SleepThieff:
You make this statement, then make no effort as to explain your reasoning behind the statement. Please explain WHY "Attack Damage flat out fails."

As an asside note, i think attack damage is much more useful for EZ than ability power, for multiple reasons.

First, his passive increases his attack speed A LOT, and as mentioned in the above post, one can reach 5 stacks of his passive with one ulti shot or a well aimed essence flux. His passive is powerful. Do not discount it.

Second, his main spammable nuke, "Q", is based solely off physical damage, and NOT ability power. Stacking attack damage will make your Q much more effective. An EZ CANNOT spam W, E, or R, as these all have fairly long cooldowns when compared to Q. But EZ he can spam Q from a very safe distance.

Third, stacking "E" aka "Arcane Shift" for more damage is not effective. When you blink, it hits a RANDOM TARGET, you do not get to choose who the missle hits. Unless it is a very rare case where there is only 1 target on the screen, the damage on this ability is fairly useless. I personally believe this ability is only good for the blink, and the "homing missle" it shoots is simply just an added bonus that sometimes works.

That is all for now.

Although I agree that attack speed is viable, I feel that it wastes a lot of Ezreal's potential. it leaves three moves without enough damage to be a threat, reducing one of them to a mere farming skill, and another to an attack speed boost for allies. As for not being able to spam his Q with AP, lich bane provides a 1:1 AP scaling for Q, which makes it an extremely effective nuke, often hitting for over 400 on a champion with a 1.4 second cooldown. In addition, this spammable Q reduces the cooldowns on W E and R, and an 8.5 second cooldown with minimal CDR is nothing to sniff at, even without the Q's additional reduction.
As for Arcane shift, if you haven't realized by now that it hits the *closest* target to where your blink lands you, you need to go back to Ashe, because this champion obviously requires a lot more skill than you'll ever have.

Granted, I didn't write this guide, but I have to say, you're missing out on the potential of AP Ezreal if you think that all he can do is spam long-cooldown nukes, one of which is "random"

Gravan

03-19-2010

Quote:
SleepThieff:

That is all for now.

I don't explain reasoning to the delusional. In fact, I only explain my reasoning where I feel like it - I wrote this guide for myself before writing it for others. Also, I certainly don't discount his passive, I just regard it as his least useful skill. Lichbane allows his Mystic Shot to scale with AP.

Also,
Quote:

Is wrong - you can read this guide for what it actually does instead of imagining your own skill descriptions.

FeelinLikeEve

03-19-2010

One thing, Ezreal can easily be built to be an attacker with 300+ damage and 2+ attack speed with 100 AP... I feel your build is terrible. Your spell build is also terrible. Mystic shot and Arcane shift are the only 2 moves you need until your ult unless you're with a tank. How about you play a few more games as Ez then make a guide you idiot...