Ezreal, The Prodigal Midlaner

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Neplusultra

03-18-2010

First off, let me say while ezreal could use a slight buff (maybe w heal himself for total of all dmg/heal done/XX amount would do the trick), he is a viable champ. However, he might not be seen for a while in high elo premades. This is simply because he is hard to master. He has 3 skillshots, and 1 positioning shot. No direct attacks.

If you can not skill shot, do not play him! I recommend getting to where you can hit 75% of the time with any skill before you normal queue, and 85%+ for premades.

Now, onto the build. I have not tried AP build, however I believe that ezreal is perfect fit for a turret pusher/mid laner. AP builds have a harder time pushing turrets. I will add more to this guide as I discover more, as we are all in the learning phase right now.

Skill order:
1: Q
2: E
3: W
Then: R > Q > W > E

Q is your bread and butter. This ability will be able to hit for ~300 every 3 seconds.

W is for team fights, and is probably the only thing that makes him viable late game. A well positioned W can heal and hit multiple people. At rank 5 with full items this will heal for about 1/3 of squishy health. W can also be used to harass the enemy champ early game, if they are keeping too many minions in between you two.

E is only used to chase a low loner, or to run from a gank. It is mana intensive, does not have a long enough range to be viable at DPS, and Ezreal is too squishy to be that close to a fight.

R Ahh the barrage. This one is fun. You go mid lane so you can get barrage while the side lanes are level 4. This can be used 2 ways early on, as an initiator on your lane, or as a finisher in someone elses lane. Later on it will be used as an initiator to all group fights or to scare enemies off a turret if your team is too far away to save it (it kills minions, so if they don't run they get hit by the turret).

Ezreal is a highly mana intensive champ. Most would suggest getting mana regen items, but I find that ezreal is very dependant on his items for decent damage. This is countered with clarity.

Summoner Spells:
Clarity
Exhaust/Ignite/Clairvoyance/Rally

Clarity is absolutely needed for this build, along with 21pt utility tree. The second spell is up to preference, but all serve their purpose. I use ignite.

Masteries:
9/0/21. In utility pick up all mana/mana regen talents, clarity, and 21pt spell cooldown. The rest are up for grabs. Get the crit, CDR, magic pen in attack.

Ezreal has ~400 starting HP, maybe less (I have runes so not sure exact). He is very squishy, especially levels 1-5. This brings me to runes. The runes below are the ones I use. You can switch our blue/red for whatever, but I would suggest keeping the HP runes.

Runes:
Yellow: Flat HP
Blue: Flat CDR
Red: Armor Pen
Quint: Flat HP

Flat runes are used to buff early game, as late game you have items.

And last but not least, the juicy part.

Item build:
boots + 2x HP pot (boots first to position shots)
guinsoo's rageblade, pickaxe first. OR Last Whisper (this is to help turret pushing. If you use just q to farm minions, you get a ton of aspd stacked and can push very easily. Last Whisper was suggested to replace this item. While both are viable for tower pushing, I like the rage for buff to W ability. I use W to harrass early game. If you don't like W, or if you think the team will be getting a lot of armor; go for the last whisper no matter what.)
boots of swiftness (again to position, if caster heavy team get mercs, if phys heavy get tabi)
leviathan (get leviathan first because he needs hp, and it stacks quicker than occult... and allows him to stay alive to keep occult up later)
brutalizer (sword of occult if staying alive)
occult/brutalizer (what you didnt get before)
trinity force (sheen or phage first, depending on if your team has slows already.

The game is usually finished when you start working on the trinity force. However, if for some reason you collect enough gold for an Infinity Edge, do not hesitate to trade in te brutalizer for it.

EDIT: Adding in suggestions from other players.

Marshallbanana

03-18-2010

I have some suggestions if you don't mind, and as you said its still very early so take my suggestions with a big heaping bowl of salt.

Summoner Spells:
Clarity- I'm torn on using clarity. You do need the mana but Ezreal is so mana dependent that he should be getting one of the golems which would render clarity moot. I just think more experimentation is needed with clarity. Also I feel chalice helps more in between golems than clarity.

Exhaust/Ignite/Clairvoyance- ganking tools when you say you think Ezreal is a great pusher. Would rally be an appropriate choice if nobody on your team has it? It really helps pushing and teamfights (then again I am experimenting with a jungling ezreal running rally/smite).

Rally/cleanse seems like it could be just as good as well.

Masteries
I really don't find CDR to be very usefull with Ezreal. In my opinion Golem should be all the CDR you need. I feel you should be Q spamming everything and anything which is already on a short CD at 5(2-3 seconds I believe) which helps lower your by a fair amount. Also everyone says that Ezreal is really squishy so would 0/21/9 or 9/21/0 be better? Just some food for thought feel free to disregard.

Runes
Yellow: with a ?/21/? I think it would be better to go with dodge but with anything else I would go with health.
Blue: I don't believe CDR is the way to go with Ezreal may I suggest mana regen or flat out mana?
Red: I think armor pen works better than crit chance but I could be wrong.
Quint: Flat HP works for me.

Item build
I think if you went Clarity go with red crystal if not I would go with meki and 2 health pots. I don't believe boots right away is worth it.
If you don't have clarity I would rush chalice.
Instead of guinsoo's for pushing I go with last whisper the armor pen helps with towers and the added AP from guinsoo's isn't worth it for me.
For boots its all dependent on what the other team is rolling. However, tabi might be better than swiftness if rolling ?/21/?
For survivability instead of going with levi what is wrong with Banshees? Catalyst helps with mana concers leveling up and ezreal can certainly use the extra mana.
I suppose after that its all up to what your fighting.

Use of abilities
I find that his R as AD is more useful for building up his passive than anything else. So if your pushing do you R creeps by the tower to hurt tower more? I agree with your skill build entirely.

Once again take my suggestions with a grain of salt as I need more time with Ezreal. I may just go 5 tiamats next game for the lol's.

Edit: Also for pushing would sword of the devine or malady help?

Vydelar

03-18-2010

I'm sorry OP but I think the idea of Ezreal being a midlane is very weak because he has little to nothing he can do against a dedicated pusher till level 6. That and having the term Midlane and running the Clarity talent in the same thread doesn't work well either. The biggest issue I have with Ez being midlane is that you lose two targets. Early game you are very dependent on mana and your passive to get past the early levels to 6, and losing half the utility of W isn't really worth it when there's a better person that can do it.

I also am of the feeling that Guinsoo's is sub par on Ez because R makes a better initiator than in combat spell, you said yourself you don't like the idea of using E in normal combat, just chase/retreat, and W doesn't get nearly enough use when midlaned due to the lack of targets. As for the aspd on it, you could just as easily get the aspd from a bow, and maybe make last whisper instead, and do potentially more damage for the same amount of cash.

wildfire393

03-18-2010

Suggestions on your Runes. Crit chance, really? Go with armor pen. It gives you more average DPS per attack and will buff your Q as well. Also you should have MP regen in yellow to counteract the fact that he is very mana hungry early.

Clockmort

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vydelar View Post
I'm sorry OP but I think the idea of Ezreal being a midlane is very weak because he has little to nothing he can do against a dedicated pusher till level 6. That and having the term Midlane and running the Clarity talent in the same thread doesn't work well either. The biggest issue I have with Ez being midlane is that you lose two targets. Early game you are very dependent on mana and your passive to get past the early levels to 6, and losing half the utility of W isn't really worth it when there's a better person that can do it.

I also am of the feeling that Guinsoo's is sub par on Ez because R makes a better initiator than in combat spell, you said yourself you don't like the idea of using E in normal combat, just chase/retreat, and W doesn't get nearly enough use when midlaned due to the lack of targets. As for the aspd on it, you could just as easily get the aspd from a bow, and maybe make last whisper instead, and do potentially more damage for the same amount of cash.
I've actually midlaned a few times as Ezreal now, and have had no real issues against anyone I've laned against that normally would give me some issues. Also, Ezreal is really good for saving a clarity to bait your opponent into thinking they are secure with approaching you when you look to be oom, once they come to you, pop it and let them have it (if you're 6 by now, it's even easier since you have your ulti ready). I've gotten a good amount of kills by doing so.

Neplusultra

03-18-2010

I use clarity because I found that adding that gold straight into boots/AD helps a LOT since his Q has relatively low dmg attribute. Yes, I am midlane so I miss out on the team part of clarity... until level 10 when we all group fight. I go 21 point utility for the increase in mana/mana regen. It helps get clarity back earlier, and as I said I like to go straight for AD to get Q damage up early so I don't want to spend the gold on chalice. Golem buff isn't easily obtainable before 6 on ezreal either, and 1-11 is when mana is the biggest problem for him.

Rally would help for tower pushing, but for it to work well you have to have killed the enemy and have a free push with minions. I find that ignite/exhaust help you get that kill and an empty tower, even before 6, whereas with rally I would generally have to use it to get the kill on them, or to stay alive myself. Clair is just amazing for gank prevention throughout the whole game, not for yourself but a great a team spell.

I haven't gathered enough IP to get multiple sets of runes, so the ones I put are what I had. Yellow HP is definately needed, but I like the CDR for the use of W/E/R mainly. I start off with an 81 second ulti instead of 90, and once I get the brutalizer it's down to 72. Crit is what I had from shaco, I know Q doesn't crit so it's not as viable as armor pen I just haven't bought armor pen t3 runes yet.

Items: I go with boots first because having that extra speed against your enemy helps a LOT when positioning Q and W. Same thing with swiftness boots, but never get them if doing poorly or facing a team of 4 phys or 4 AP enemies. I like the guinsoos for the aspd bonus, and it stacks in a few seconds because of Q, and having that 60-120 extra AP makes W & R a little more prominent in early levels. This is because I use W to harrass early game. I'll spam Q on minions for last hits, and W to shoot through the minions onto the enemy. If you don't use W for early harassing, by all means go for the whisper. Or if the team is tank heavy, do it anyways. Banshees is useful, but it comes back to my point about needing dmg items early on. Levi is cheap, and gets better the better you do. This allows me to get straight back to building my AD up, whereas banshees is more than twice the cost.

As for turret pushing with R, I tend to get my mana low and get more aggressive to bait the enemy, then I open on them with ult and finish with ignite. Once they die/return I use stacks and Q to get rid of minions. I have used R to kill off a wave of creeps to continue knocking on the tower though, and it works pretty well. I think ezreal has towers covered though, so I tend to use R on champs instead.

As for mana regen runes, I have no problems with mana because of clarity, and 21pt utility tree. Any other build mp5 would be needed though.

Clockmort

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2010

Most recent played game posting. I could only say that Flux should heal him for a portion of the healing/dmg done.

Neplusultra

03-18-2010

I think so too. I was thinking 10% of all damage and 15-20% of all healing, but that is something that would need testing. I think it should be able to heal him for up to half, assuming you hit 4+ targets.

Have you tried AD build at all? I haven't played against a good AP ezreal yet, and I am enjoying AD too much to switch over... I can out sivir sivir!

Neplusultra

03-18-2010

I'll be testing a different item build in the morning when I get off work. Takes away from the hybrid aspect, which means W would be used for healing, E to get away, R as an initiator, and Q to pummel with auto attacks going on. This build (in theory) will be much better at pushing turrets, limiting his early game 1v1 abilities. But I could be wrong, and it could even boost his 1v1 abilities.

boots
last whisper
swiftness/merc/tabi
leviathan
brutalizer
trinity force
black cleaver

The cleaver could probably be bought before TF, but I will have to test to confirm... Basically with this build I focus on Q and on-hit abilities (TF/BC) to destroy anything in my path. Tanks or turrets alike. If you are dieing alot I'd switch the TF with a Frozen Mallet for some extra HP, but the TF is way better for damage because of it's on-cast.

Clockmort

03-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neplusultra View Post
I think so too. I was thinking 10% of all damage and 15-20% of all healing, but that is something that would need testing. I think it should be able to heal him for up to half, assuming you hit 4+ targets.

Have you tried AD build at all? I haven't played against a good AP ezreal yet, and I am enjoying AD too much to switch over... I can out sivir sivir!
I've yet to try an AD build, I've been favoring AP mainly because of the synergy with more of his abilities. People dog down Flux a bit too much, and it's heal is really useful.