[Mini-Guide]Udyr is back, baby.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Krath4

03-18-2010

Opening

With the re-buff of Turtle Stance and changes to certain items, Udyr has returned to his former glory. Once again, he is a walking tanking, DPSing carry of death. The new Guinsoo's Rageblade is an excellent item on Udyr now, and the Sheen and Trinity nerfs haven't actually hurt his damage output much. I mostly made this guide out of boredom, and as such it won't go much into detail about what you should do ingame, but merely focus on things like Masteries, rune builds, and item sets.

Rune Build

Quintessence - Greater Quintessence of Desolation
Marks - Greater Mark of Desolation
Seals - Greater Seal of Fortitude
Glyphs - Greater Glyph of Intellect

Quintessences and Marks are obvious. Armor Penetration is great bang for your buck and will increase your damage greatly. The Seals are Flat HP, and add excellent survivability early on. The Glyphs of Intellect help the whole game, since your mana pool is still a bit small in the beginning and you can always use more.

Masteries

21/0/9. Yup. The gold standard for carries everywhere.

Offense
3/3 Deadliness
1/3 Archmage's Savvy
4/4 Sorcery
4/4 Alacrity
1/1 Archaic Knowledge
3/3 Brute Force
3/3 Lethality
1/3 Sunder
1/1 Havoc

Utility
3/3 Perserverence
1/3 Good Hands
4/4 Awareness
1/2 Utility Mastery

Spells

Cleanse and Flash is what I use, personally. The one thing Udyr lacks is a good escape mechanism. Cleanse and Flash both solve this, making it incredibly easy to escape foes combined with the Bear + Turtle combo. If you decide to use Exhaust or Ignite, which are also excellent by the way, replace the 1/3 Sunder in the Masteries with 1/1 Cripple or 1/1 Burning Embers.

Another alternative is Ghost instead of Flash, in which case you'd get 1/1 Haste instead of 1/3 Good Hands. Ghost combined with Bear makes Udyr quite adept at both chasing and escaping.

Skill Order

1 - Turtle
2 - Bear
3 - Phoenix
4 - Turtle
5 - Tiger
6 - Phoenix
7 - Bear
8 - Turtle
9 - Phoenix
10 - Turtle
11 - Tiger
12 - Turtle
13 - Bear
14 - Phoenix
15 - Phoenix
16 - Tiger
17 - Bear
18 - Bear

You want Turtle early for the shield and lane staying it offers. Phoenix next for clearing creep waves quickly and burst damage. Bear for stunning and chasing of course. I always like to get one early rank of Tiger for quick turret killing. After that, it's mostly alternating between skills, taking another Tiger at 11 for better turret slaying ability. We leave Bear for last since all you really get for leveling it up is more speed.

Item Build

- Sapphire Crystal + 2 Health Potions
- Sapphire Crystal into Sheen + Boots of Choice
- Phage
- Phage + Sheen into Trinity Force
- Pickaxe
- Pickaxe into Guinsoo's Rageblade
- Items of Choice

Begin with a Sapphire Crystal and 2 HP potions. Udyr spams stances as much as he pleases, and he pleases to spam them alot. +200 mana is quite a bit early game, and he doesn't really need lifesteal or regen with Turtle Stance. The HP Potions are so Udyr can scream while running into the enemies, get a kill or two, then regenerate his lost health quickly.

On your second trip back, hopefully you've saved up enough to get both Sheen and your boots of choice in one go. If the enemy team is CC heavy, get Mercury Treads. If they're physical carry heavy, grab Ninja Tabi. Otherwise, go ahead and get Berserker Greaves. Sheen is still an excellent item for Udyr, as 80% bonus base damage is still nothing to scoff at.

Now, go ahead and begin building up Trinity Force. Once you grab enough for a Phage, buy that, then begin saving for Trinity. Udyr just became double the awesome he was with Sheen.

Next trip back, you'll want to start building Guinsoo's Rageblade. More than likely, you're not gonna be able to buy it all at once, so just settle for a Pickaxe. If you do have enough, great. Guinsoo's turns Udyr into death incarnate. It's ridiculously easy to keep all 8 stacks going all the time, and gives excellent bonuses.

Is the match still going? Sure, you're already the god**** strongest member on your team, but you could be even stronger. What you get from now will be mostly personal preference and how the match is going.

If you're already doing pretty well for yourself, get a Sword of the Divine, or Last Whisper if they're stacking Armor. Hello, 2.5 Attack Speed cap. If you're having trouble surviving, consider buying Banshee's Veil, Thornmail, or even Warmogs. You can also go the way of Attack Damage, and buy yourself a Bloodthirster, because Udyr is great at farming, and can easily max it out for a nice 100 damage and 25% lifesteal. He also works great with Madred's Bloodrazor, because of his ridiculous Attack Speed.

Closing

Yup, Udyr is definitely a force to be reckoned with again. Sadly, he's still fairly rare, which is a shame. With Turtle re-buffed, he has excellent lane-staying power and can farm with ease. Criticism is welcome, and you can go ahead and post what you think would be better than what was listed in this guide.

Wakim

03-18-2010

This same exact guide is already posted 3 times, original thought failure.

Adorno

03-18-2010

What's this "new guinsoo's rageblade". How new? Not this last patch for sure.

Xetian

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorno View Post
It stacks on skill use now, do corki/udyr/insane attck speed champs have it rolling a lot faster. It's also amazing for slaying turrets because it cranks your attack speed and ap-> % tower damage.

Adorno

03-18-2010

WOW, that's awesome. I don't see it in the patch notes. Stealth buff? Or am I just missing it?

congalong

03-18-2010

I prefer MS quints but ArP quints are nice too Always love having 509 MS when chasing with bear and lvl 2 boots.

TheMagnificent

03-18-2010

I agree with wakim. Triforce and rageblade, thanks tips.

Anyway I do not think triforce is super-effective on udyr. The crit chance and attack speed and movement speed from phantom dancers are much more useful and are cheaper. The single only udyr build that does not need a decent crit chance is tank. Whether using phoenix or tiger you need some crits or you simply will not be matching the damage of other toons filling the same role. Crit is incredible for tiger because it multiplies your DoT hit, its awsome for phoenix because every piece of aoe over that five seconds has a chance to crit, and every piece of damage caused by the 3rd hit proc can crit.

Phantom Dancers or an Infinity Edge or something else that confers crit is an absolute must. Beyond that what is needed depends almost entirely on the opposing team.

shalmack

03-18-2010

The problem with this guide is you hardly focus on any of Udyrs strong points.

EasymodeX

03-18-2010

I know right.

just call me evo

This user has referred a friend to League of Legends, click for more information

03-18-2010

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adorno View Post
not most recent. It's either the two or three back. it got alot of ****, and people are still tending to forget about it.