Question on: How to improve yourself as an LoL player.

Comment below rating threshold, click here to show it.

Terrorship

05-26-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by DropoftheGun View Post
I then think to myself: "Hey, you knew that they weren't on the map, why did you go in?"
By following your own good advice? Resist the urge to go in. That's really all there is to it.

To help beyond that, buy a ward or two and know where to place them. Encourage team to (although it typically doesn't help, either they do or don't). Encourage someone to take CV on the loading screen if they know how to use it. You really should have at least one ward to prevent ganks after first back, all through laning.

DropoftheGun

05-28-2011

Just as a general note:

Wards are OP.

And I don't mean OP as in they need a nerf, I mean (for anyone else that reads this) that wards can completely change the outcome of the game.

Ever notice those times when someone on your team (or even a teemo) goes crazy buying wards? Ever notice how FREAKING AWESOME it is to see the other team go for a buff or dragon and then just go in, kill them, and then steal the creep?

I've just now started to use wards more often and it definitely helps games.

I know I started by asking for advice but now I'm giving it =]

JohnCataldo

05-28-2011

Quote:
Wards are OP.
I'd like to hope my ward rant earlier in this thread helped. =)

RadiantPyrophore

05-28-2011

The fact that you want to Improve, are asking for advice, and don't think you're already "All That" is a good sign, it probably puts you in the top 33-40% of players.

The three most important things in this game, listed in order of what I feel their importance is, are:

#1: Map awareness.

If you are in mid and outfarming/harassing/killing the other mid, take a split second to check the minimap if you go to push past the middle, if everyone on the other team is accounted for and in the far corners of the map, you are probably safe doing so.(Nevar evar push past the middle after early game if there is a TF/Shen/Pantheon alive and they haven't used their ult in the previous few seconds. They will come gank you with no warning from the corner to the middle in 3 seconds flat. Also don't chase past their minions for harass/kill... someone might teleport in and ruin your day unless they are stupid and no one has teleport.) If there is a jungler unaccounted for don't push it till you see them in the corners/see that they have been slain. Pretty much the same thing goes for the top/bottom, if middle is Missing In Action either don't push it, or ward up the bush in the river. Beyond that, never push far past your turrets if people are MIA. They are probably baiting you to gank you unless they just died. If you are losing hard mid and the enemy mid decided to be a harAss call in a gank or ask to switch lanes. Mid/late game, always travel in groups unless you are backdooring and all the enemies are accounted for. Use wards. Use them early, use them often. Stop worrying and learn to love the ward. Finally, if your teammates are having trouble in their lanes and you just owned yours, for god's sake go help them or switch lanes with them. There are other little details and advanced techniques to learn that you can learn yourself.

#2: Team Roles.

There are different roles in this game and a good balance is needed for victory.

Every team should have:

A: At least one carry. If there is only one preferably a ranged carry. This can be AD or AP.
Never have more than 3 carries, ever. A carry's job is to farm hard and stay alive early, then stay
alive and ravage the enemy base/the enemy late.

B: A good tank (preferably with a reliable method of initiation and good CC) this guy's job is to
soak up as much damage as possible, keep the carry safe and alive, and to run in first(generally)
in team fights. You probably shouldn't have more than two tanks.

C: A caster AOE/CC/Burst. Preferably all of them, but most casters specialize in one or two
areas. A caster's job is to murder any enemy who is out of position/help the team murder
them/keep them out of position. Also protecting the carry is a good thing. An assassin also
works well in place of a caster, their job is to try to sneak around and kill the enemy carry/caster
before/during the teamfight so your carry can continue ravaging unopposed. It's also good if this
guys does the opposing damage type to the primary carry, that way the enemies can't just build
armor or mr and ignore the carry. Kind of a backup carry.

D: A Jungler/Roamer. This guy's job is to lock down the jungle/secure buffs/ward the
river(dragon/baron too)/provide ganks to lanes that are having a hard time/make the enemy fear
your ganks and wish they knew your whereabouts/provide a solo lane so that someone can level
faster than the enemy.

Every team should have someone to fill each of these roles to make a balanced team. Many champions can fill multiple
roles. Once you have each of these covered, you can add in:

E: A filler. This can be a support, or otherwise fill in for the team's weaknesses. Need more
CC? Grab a champ with a ****ton of cc. Etc. Etc. Etc. A support keeps your team alive/healed
/provides various beneficial buffs. Once laning is over this guy's job is to be where the action is,
keeping your team alive and their team dead. Most supports should be near the action but NOT in
it. You can also put a second carry here. A melee or AP carry (or both O.o hai Chogie) is good
here.

#3: Itemization. Items are a huge part of the game.

Learn to BUILD items(yeah a lot of people don't realize it works like that).

Learn what to build early to keep you in lane/win harass. What to build mid to help ganks/pokes/pushing. Finally, what to build late to help teamfights/pushing/backdooring/baroning.

Learn what to build to maximize your damage/killing effectivness/pushing if you are a carry. What to build to maximize your projected lifespan and the carry's lifespan if you are the tank. What to build to maximize your burst/CC/utility if you are the caster. What to build to kill the jungle/gank/ward/secure if you are the jungler. Finally, what to build to keep your team going strong/owning the enemy if you are a support.

Learn to counterbuild the enemy. A lot of things can be resisted/reversed with good countering. Learn to build MR vs magic damage, Armor vs physical damage, Magic Pen vs high MR, Armor pen vs high Armor, hp vs high penetration/low damage, %damage vs high hp. Etc. There are lots and lots and lots of counters in itemization.

Learn what is good and bad/unnecessary on the champs you usually play.

One ultimate word of advice: You win the game by killing the enemy Nexus, NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOT by killing the enemy champions(looking at you Jax and AP Tristana). You can win with a team average negative K/D. This happens often when certain support champions are involved. Try not to go negative anyways.

P.S. Yes I know this has been an epic rant.

SullenEyes

05-30-2011

Bump because this is a good thread. Thanks again to everyone for the advice given so far - any more general advice is appreciated by the people stalking this thread (me).

As a side note, I normally play Teemo, so I mushroom ward everywhere. I've been forcing myself to buy a ward-ward every time I b and use it in lieu of a mushroom that will get popped (or on top of a mushroom that I want popped). The training is a good habit and really, once you start, you don't even notice the purported gold lost to buying wards. Wards = good. Do it.

P.S. - where exactly do you put the ward to get it to drop into baron? I know it's somewhere near the trees/rocks on the NE side...

DropoftheGun

05-30-2011

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnCataldo View Post
I'd like to hope my ward rant earlier in this thread helped. =)
It definitely did haha, I've been buying so many wards lately it's crazy.

The most awesome part about it is this: When we have wards, we win.

It's essentially how my most recent games have gone, I just buy 1 or 2 wards and we dominate them because their ganks just fall apart before they even start.

DropoftheGun

06-04-2011

Just to come back to this thread, I've been playing Orianna a lot since she came out (every game, no exceptions) and the whole playing a champ constantly REALLY helps.

I start to understand what the heck I can do in a fight and any time another Orianna (I like to call her Ori btw) I can just ignore her. I know what she does and how she works, she is nothing to me.

I've also been able to start working on map awareness as well (since I can subconsciously micro Orianna now) and it's amazing how many ganks I've prevented thanks to that awareness.

Thanks for all the tips guys, they're really helping out.

-DropoftheGun

Etherimp

06-04-2011

Quote:
Just to come back to this thread, I've been playing Orianna a lot since she came out (every game, no exceptions) and the whole playing a champ constantly REALLY helps.

I start to understand what the heck I can do in a fight and any time another Orianna (I like to call her Ori btw) I can just ignore her. I know what she does and how she works, she is nothing to me.

I've also been able to start working on map awareness as well (since I can subconsciously micro Orianna now) and it's amazing how many ganks I've prevented thanks to that awareness.

Thanks for all the tips guys, they're really helping out.

-DropoftheGun

Glad to hear you've made progress.